Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Carolee
Beginner September 2023 Quebec

Difficult situation due to French language

Carolee, on June 11, 2022 at 08:20 Posted in Quebec 0 16
Good morning ladies I hope this question is ok to post, so we have finally decided to get married and we are living in Montreal I have some mixed emotions because of the new french law if we get married here in Montreal Quebec our certificate will only be in french no English Smiley sad I hear of people going to Ontario to get married but I dont know how that would work with our guestsSmiley sad I'm so disappointed is anyone else struggling with this and how are you dealing with it?

16 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on July 6, 2022 at 00:38
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If french is not going to work for the marriage license, do it in english in Onatrio since it matters to you that much. Set a date in Quebec as a local celebration once arrived back for those who didn't make it to the wedding.
  • Carolee
    Carolee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just the marriage certificate

• KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with the majority of posters- have the ceremony in ON and the celebration in QC

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes, I’ve had to change my date multiple times because of the backlog in weddings from 2020 and 2021/2022
  • Carolee
    Carolee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes it's a possibilitySmiley smile
  • Carolee
    Carolee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes sounds like another option for sure
  • Carolee
    Carolee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The marriage certificate and who knows by the time the day comes they make it mandatory....I would love to have it in English as my first language as well
  • Carolee
    Carolee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes big choices to make I hope we figure it out soon before things start getting booked Smiley smile
  • Rebecca
    Expert October 2023 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No problem
  • Carolee
    Carolee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sounds interesting thank you
  • Rebecca
    Expert October 2023 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I second Alyx's suggestion, have a court house wedding in 0ntario and then have a secondary non legal ceremony in Quebec with the celebration, friends of ours were getting married in Mexico and they didn't want to deal with the certificates being in Spanish or having to get anything i9ssued there so before the trip they got married in their Livingroom with a marriage commissioner and their parents and best friends then had a non legal ceremony in Mexico. their anniversary they use though is the date they were "married" in Mexico.

maybe something similar could work for you guys?

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Bonjour Carolee,

Félicitation! Yes the laws are very different, and so many regulations when getting married in QC. So many beautiful places in QC but because of the laws when getting married, we changed our minds and decided to stick with ON. But we are lucky we live 20 min away from Ottawa and the rest of our friends and Family are in Ottawa. Great thing is that you aren't too far from the ON boarder and you could still get married in ON and then have a party in Montreal. You can maybe do a morning Ceremony in the following towns that are less than 2 hours away. Hawksbury, Vankleek hill and Rockland. This gives time for your guest who want to see you say your I Do's to go and then a break to drive back take pictures freshen up and then party back into Montreal for those who did not want to drive the short distance.

• Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    What do you mean that the certificate will be in French only? Do you mean the ceremony?
  • A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Maybe you could bring your very close family to the court house the ones who wouldn’t miss it for the world and then extended family and friends for the celebration in Quebec?
    Recording it could be a great option too! It would be cool to play it back for everyone at the celebration too !
  • Carolee
    Carolee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was thinking that but I'm just wondering if the guest actually want to see us get married or just enjoy the party lol 🤪 I was also thinking of having it recorded then bring played at the reception 🤷‍♀️
  • A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Could you do court house legal married in Ontario and then do a celebration in Quebec?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics