Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Newbie August 2021 Ontario

Dietary Restrictions

Ashley, on August 17, 2020 at 08:42 Posted in Wedding reception 0 11

My Fiance and I are planning Wedding 2.0 due to Covid. Original plans are not happening anymore since it was a destination wedding. We are now planning a wedding with different and more people then our original plans, and therefor have come across this question "Do we really care about our guests dietary restrictions or not." Since these people were not on our original guest list do i really need to care about their special needs. After all this is mine and Fiance's wedding it is supposed to be all about us correct? Why should we be worrying about them when it is about us. our thought process is if you have special dietary needs you've been living like this for how long you should be able to figure it out by now and also we do not need you at our wedding if you need to make special requests when it is about us and our becoming of one. We understand we are going to ruffle a few feathers with this but also we don't care. Love to hear your responses.

11 Comments

Latest activity by A-W, on August 18, 2020 at 08:37
  • A-W
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    A-W ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's definitely good to take dietary restrictions into consideration. Often it's not that hard to find alternatives everyone can enjoy or label the food so people can avoid things they can't eat (if it is buffet style).
  • Sarah
    Frequent user July 2023 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have had several occasions where I was "dry salad girl" (fat intolerance, celiac and a host of other autoimmune). There have been times where I was told something was "safe" because there was "only butter....its a natural fat!" And yup I was incapacitated for 2-3 days on pain medication. Regardless of the reason jfc id hope you'd care about the people you invited and not just their handouta

• Sarah
    Frequent user July 2023 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    With an attitude like that I would for sure not come or send a gift. My dietary restrictions are a matter of me winding up in the hospital or not, I realize they suck and people like you making it feel like a burden is just... Wow. I hope you never have to deal with life altering conditions affecting every single social function you have to attend because I guarantee you you wont be able to make it all about you.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow.
    If you don’t care about your guests being able to eat at your wedding maybe reconsider inviting them? I have non-medical dietary restrictions and I would likely decline attending a wedding if I knew I was purposely being ignored. I’m pretty used to people being rude about my dietary restriction (vegetarian) but I cant even imagine having medical or cultural restrictions and someone flat out ignoring them because it’s inconvenient for them.
    Yes this day is about you and your partner, but I assume your guests are people you care about and you want them to enjoy themselves and not starve.
  • Tay
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Tay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would say if you don't want to accomodate their dietary restrictions, which is different then I prefer beef over chicken, then you shouldn't invite them. I feel like that's a bit inconsiderate. People have different restrictions for various reasons. For example allergies, religion, dietary lifestyle ( vegan or vegetarian etc), or medical reasons. I personally have religious food restrictions and i would be annoyed being invited to an event and spending several where all I could eat was salad.
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would definitely care about my guests and their dietary restrictions, if I didn't I wouldn't care to have them there, which means they wouldn't be invited. As much as the day is about you and your FH its also about the people who you invite that have been there for you and supported you, your whole relationship, you want to share this day with them. You also have to understand if you are asking for any "gifts/money" from there people then YES 100% you should be making sure they are enjoying what they are coming too. This is not a house party it is a wedding.

In my personal opinion if you don't want to ask about peoples restrictions I would advise them that on the invitation that this is the set meal and no dietary restrictions will be accommodated this way they have the choice to say no to you, OR if they still choose to be there, they know to not expect ANY food.

• Patricia
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Patricia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I actually can’t even believe that I’ve just read such a selfish post. LOL. Just don’t even invite these guests if you don’t care about them. WOW, what a time to be alive.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would still want to know about allergies and restrictions. I would hate to be responsible for making someone sick. I think most people with serious diet issues are good at knowing what they can and can't eat, and it's a lovely gesture to have at least one simple option for them. Instead of having a gluten or dairy free cake option you could have a fruit salad which would appease diabetic, keto, gluten, and lactose guests to name a few.
  • Kristen
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have to agree with the below.
    As someone who is personally gluten intolerant & can get really sick from it, it should be something you consider.
    Guests are coming for you & giving you a gift - if you don’t care about them enough because it’s “all about you” than don’t invite them at all.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As someone with dietary restrictions, I would be very concerned as a guest if my needs weren’t even listened to. The thing with dietary restrictions is they can be for a variety of medical reasons as well and unless your guest explains it to you (which they are not obligated to), you’re not going to know and ignoring that could cause serious problems. You wouldn’t want someone in the hospital?
    I know for me, I sent my list off to a friend of what I can’t eat, and explained that if it ends up in my food, l’ll be in the bathroom for the rest of the night/couple of days (due to an existing medical condition). If they responded back with ‘too bad’, I wouldn’t go. It comes off as really inconsiderate and that their needs don’t matter to you, but they’re good enough to come and bring a gift. Perhaps don’t broaden your guest list if you don’t want to accommodate your guests.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I guess I don't look at our day as being all about us. For us its about sharing something important with our friends and family. Every person invited is someone important to us. If I really felt so little about a certain person they would not be invited to my wedding at all. I couldn't even imagine not taking into consideration the needs of a plus one even if I have never met the person. The comfort and well being of my guests is very important to me. Of course I will be making accommodations for my friends that are vegan and if I have any responses about allergies 100% I will make sure that they are safe at my wedding.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics