Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Melinda
Devoted September 2017 Ontario

Dietary restrictions

Melinda, on March 24, 2017 at 16:05 Posted in Wedding reception 0 5

How much special food are you planning to serve for guests with dietary restrictions?

My sister-in-law eats gluten free because she wants to (not because she has celiac disease), which is fine, that's her choice, but I don't feel like I should have to make all my food gluten-free just for her. I also have at least one vegetarian and one vegan person coming to my wedding. I would never invite someone and then not serve them food that they can eat, because that would be rude. However, it's our wedding and we get to be a little selfish and serve food that we like, right?

We're planning to keep the meat separated from the other food and have some gluten-free brownies for people who aren't eating cake. I am thinking that I will have to have at least one thing that has no cheese or eggs or milk...looking at our current menu, that kind of just leaves potatoes and veggies and salad. Is that ok? Do you think I should have a specific vegan dish? I guess I could just ask my friend if she is ok with potatoes and veggies. I just don't want her to feel offended if she can't eat most of the food.

Just trying to get a feel for other bride's opinions on how far out of our way we should go to provide food for people with dietary restrictions.

5 Comments

Latest activity by Melinda, on March 27, 2017 at 09:00
  • Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for the input! We're going to discuss everything with our caterer and I'm sure it will all be fine.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We also have people with dietary restrictions (celiac, vegan, vegetarian, lactose intolerant). We were very lucky to find a caterer who has made his entire menu dairy and gluten free for several years. We didn't even know when we found his company. We are picking our own desserts so that had been a little more difficult. Yes you can be selfish about the menu but you also don't want your guests to feel slighted or like they are trouble. Many things are pretty easy to make dairy or gluten free. You should also maybe​ talk to these people about the menu options for their restrictions and see how they feel about the choices.
  • Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For us, we are going to have special dishes for those who have dietary restrictions. I believe it will a small group of people.
  • Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What style of dinner service are you doing? Ours was plated so our restaurant did different options to accommodate our guests with dietary restrictions. (We had a couple with celiac disease, a handful of vegetarians and a vegan.) In order to make things easier on the kitchen, all of the vegetarian dishes were also vegan and I believe it was a pasta dish.

I think that everyone should get a full meal. So if the majority of guests are having meat, side and salad, you should be able to find an alternative for them. What does your caterer offer? For the gluten free, I don't think you need to do a full gluten free cake but I think that would be nice if you offered gluten free brownies like you said. I would just make sure to clearly label them so that the people who are gluten free actually get them and they aren't accidentally eaten by other guests.

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm Vegetarian and I'm personally ok with salad, veggies and potatoes. I don't expect a separate protein dish. Actually i find that preferable to the typical stuffed pepper everywhere seems to serve.
    We're having a buffet as well so as long as they can pick a few things, you'll be fine. If there's something you can make vegetarian (or better yet vegan), I would do that too. Most people who eat meat won't care that they only have one item with meat in it if it's hearty.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics