Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Julie
Featured May 2023 Ontario

Did your Partner ask your parents for their blessing before proposing?

Julie, on December 30, 2022 at 11:19 Posted in Before the wedding 0 30

Now that you're all engaged, did you find out if your partner asked for your parents blessing before the proposal? Or anyone else's blessing? How did you react after you found out?

My FH asked my daughter for her blessing first, then he asked my parents. She was away at school and texted her that he wanted to ask me to marry him and if she would be okay with it. She sent GIF's with tons of happiness. Then he coordinated with my sister and his best friend to go visit my parents so he can personally ask them. Both my parents were happy that he asked cause the X never did. My FH managed to keep that all a secret for 3 months and it was killing him. Smiley xd The fact he took the time to plan all that out and get to the kid and folks, means the world to me.

30 Comments

Latest activity by Julie, on January 27, 2023 at 04:58
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is a lovely story! 😊
  • Dessa
    Frequent user September 2023 British Columbia
    Dessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH asked my Mother out of respect for her. She was very touched and I laughed & cried when she told me how it all went down. She also blessed me with my engagement ring..she happily gave it my FH to give to me..it was my Great Grandmother's ring and I had always admired it on my mom's finger. I'm soooo fortunate and feel so very special wearing it now..4th generation!
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hahaha love it!

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My dad is funny, not as funny as his parents. We goof around and his parents will ask my FH if he is sure he wants to marry me, I remind them that if he doesn't marry me, he has to move back in. lol you should see how fast they love my quirkiness again.

• Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is a lovely story Stephanie Smiley smile

• Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Carine - hahahahaha too funny....dads Smiley heart

• Stephanie
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My husband didn’t ask my parent’s permission. Although I was a bit disappointed that he didn’t, he didn’t really give himself the chance to. He popped the question in a very spontaneous circumstance, even without a ring officially picked out. Definitely not planned to what he planned in his head. We were just together making breakfast at my apartment. Of course I said yes, and when we called my parents they were surprised and were not expecting it. On a side note, he did get me a promise ring months prior so it wasn’t like he didn’t have a ring at all. A week later he proposed a second time but with a ring picked out. That week in between the only thing I told him when he asked what I preferred, was an engagement ring and wedding band set (one that matches together). He decided on the set on his own and I couldn’t be happier with what he chose. Very traditional setting and when I showed my mom, she noticed it looks just like my late Nana’s set. It made it even more special.
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH asked my dad for my hand before he proposed. My dad told him no returns to make sure he really wanted to marry me. Smiley laugh

• Petrina
    Curious September 2024 Ontario
    Petrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is true, my dad was happy to hear the news 😊
  • KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My Mother asked my FH to marry me after she was diagnosed with terminal cancer and then again the night before she passed away. It took him two years, he asked our kids for their blessing- they told him it was about time Smiley shame

• Joy
    Frequent user August 2023 Nova Scotia
    Joy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was there when my fiance asked my dad. I knew it was important to him to ask, but he was a bit intimidated, so when we were visiting one afternoon, we were about to leave but he said he wanted to do something, so I stayed in the car and he went to chat with my dad for a while. Then a couple weeks later, he proposed when we were out on a hike. We'd been together since high school, over 6 years at that point, so we'd talked about things a lot beforehand. We'd even joked that if I wanted to propose, that I had to ask his mom. Family means a lot to him, and I really like that he wanted to make sure that the family was on the same page. And I like that he seemed to take their advice as well (which we talked a bit about later when we were starting wedding planning).

When my dad got remarried, he asked my thoughts, and he ended up ignoring a couple red flags I pointed out and it ended up not working out. I have much higher respect for someone when they ask, have a conversation, and listen to what's being said. I'm not a traditional person at all, but we both agreed that family is important, and this was one way to show to my family, that we want to include them. We just delivered some cookies together for Christmas, and that was another good way to connect with my nearby family and all get to know each other better.

• Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awwww that is amazing
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree with not keeping the secret, my mom almost let it slip lol
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is super sweet!! ❤️
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm sure your dad is probably okay with knowing you are have someone who loves you.
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Them going to ask the kids def shows the kind of man he is. I agree too, my kid kept that secret from me LOL. I had asked her if something was up and she said "Ive been sworn to secrecy" 🤣 She helped him decide on the ring too
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awwwwww love that
  • Petrina
    Curious September 2024 Ontario
    Petrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH did not and while I'm ok with that, I'm a little worried that my dad may feel a way about it lol.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did not ask her parents. Besides the fact that it seemed a bit weird to get permission, my in-laws can't keep a secret so asking them would've ruined the surprise of the proposal.

• Crystal
    Beginner June 2023 Ontario
    Crystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He didn't ask my parents, he knows they would give the blessing, but my family doesn't have that tradition anyways. What meant the most to me was he asked my children (12yo and 7yo) for their blessing. I was SHOCKED that my 7 yo didn't spill it. Especially because he showed her the ring!
  • Sira
    Curious April 2024 Ontario
    Sira ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My Future Hubby Definitely asked my parents!
    My dad said it's up to me, if that's what I want then we'd have his blessings and support.
    My FH knows how much my parents mean to me, especially after losing both my grandparents. He wanted to make sure he did things right as my family is fairly traditional while his is not.I LOVE that he went this little extra step to consider everyone's feelings in the matter and ensure my parents would be there throughout all of it. It meant a lot in so many ways and really makes me feel comfortable while planning other things they may or may not agree with because I know theyre okay with US at the end of the day.
  • Layla
    Beginner October 2024 British Columbia
    Layla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I found out my FH asked not only my parents (who were ecstatic btw) but also my Nana and Papa who mean the world to me! They were in tears and over the moon happy!
  • A
    Beginner July 2023 Ontario
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH went to my parents and asked, my fathers response was, “You’re not marrying me — ask her, she’s an adult!”, but I know my dad would have liked the request and both of them get along well.

Now that we have a wedding date, my dads more serious with the relationship and appreciative of the requests he became my wedding planner without me asking.
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Beyond words! I cried after he told me he went to her. First secret she's ever kept from me lol
    I think thats sweet you both went to eachothers family ❤️❤️
  • Stevie
    Frequent user September 2023 Ontario
    Stevie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love that he asked your daughter - I imagine that meant the world to her and you ❤️❤️❤️

My FW did ask my parents individually as well as my older sister and I also asked her father before I proposed even though we were already technically engaged 😂 it just didn’t feel right not to get his blessing
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My now husband did not ask but I am surprisingly okay with it as the older I get the more I find myself steering away from tradition.

I think when kids are involved, it's so sweet to chat to them about it first - melts my heart Smiley heart

• Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would have been okay if he didn't ask. Not something you see to often

• Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH did not ask beforehand, and I am okay with that. I know it was brought up in conversations when we would all hang out and they would be up longer but I know he didn't "officially" ask.

• Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

HA! My Dad said the same thing to me after FH proposed Smiley xd

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My now husband went and talked to my parents before hand. He knew it was the right thing to do since I was their only child. When I asked my parents about it they knew something was up when my now husband had asked to come over without me being there 🤣

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics