Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Did the proposal catch you by surprise? Or did you see it coming?

Lynnie, on January 22, 2020 at 09:05 Posted in Before the wedding 0 14

How surprised were you by your proposal? πŸ’ Were you so surprised that you're still in a state of shock? πŸ˜‰ Did you think it could be happening soon based on conversations about marriage, potential timelines, or even your ring size?? Did you realize right before they went down on one knee?

So how surprised were you? Or how much did you surprise your fiancΓ©(e)??

Did the proposal catch you by surprise? Or did you see it coming? 1

Photo by ENV Photography in Banff

14 Comments

Latest activity by Amelia, on February 21, 2020 at 08:51
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia Β·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He'd been talking about getting married since 2014 and I'd been saying I wouldn't say yes until we were out of school with stable jobs. So he waited 6 months after we gots jobs after school to do it. We were on a short trip out west and it had occurred to me beforehand that it would be a good opportunity to do it, but once we were both out there it slipped my mind entirely so I was very surprised when he did it.

• Ashley
    Beginner October 2023 Manitoba
    Ashley Β·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Me and my FiancΓ©e have been together since high school- we got our licenses together, graduated together, roomed together, traveled, rented, and owned together and I got to become a Mum to two twin girls, and two kitties too.
    Nine years later, we’re all still here- a little older, maybe some wiser, and I get to marry my best friend.
    On Christmas Day, just this past 2019, I woke at 6:37am (but no kiddos- they were at their Moms) because I’m still a kid at heart and couldn’t sleep anymore, we both got up and started to make coffee.We were sitting in the living room, warming our hands with the fresh brew when he asked me to come stand in front of the Christmas tree with him. Here I am thinking, β€˜Awe yay, our annual Christmas tree selfie!’, but he said to me, β€˜Okay, now turn and face me.’What kind of selfie is this? Whatev-And he got down on one knee in front of the Christmas tree, and asked me to marry him.It was magical, I was surprised for sure. I knew one day, but not that day.It was snowing big fluffy snowflakes, falling gently, coffee in hand- but it was different that time... it was perfect.❄️❄️❄️
  • T
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Trish Β·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He definitely surprised me.

Threw me a surprise 30th birthday party -- already enough of a surprise with that! Then he brought out the cake!

On the back was written "Trish, will you marry me?" and he turned it around after I had blown out the candles Smiley smile

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison Β·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was surprised but also not? If that makes sense.

We went on a cruise for our 2 year dating anniversary in October of 2017. We planned a 2 nights in Miami Beach beforehand (in case of major flight delays, also to say we've been to Miami beach). At that point, we have lived together for 6 months and have talked a little bit about marriage/kids in the future and basically on the same page. I figured he'd propose on our cruise, maybe a few nights in. He actually proposed the first day in Miami Beach so that's what took me by surprise lol

• Jamie
    Frequent user June 2022 British Columbia
    Jamie Β·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was in total shock. I thought we were going to wait until we purchased our first home before getting engaged. He was acting weird all day. He proposed the same day that I took him out for his birthday celebration dinner (wasn't his actual birthday) and was rushing all the way thru his meal...

We went to the place where he first told me he loved me at the beach. I feel bad for not crying when it happened (i'm not usually a huge crier anyways) but I was so surprised, I can't even really remember what happened lol

• Stef
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Stef Β·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hes not normally a romantic guy and he planned a super romantic night and i had no clue (seems obvious now lol)
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley Β·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Completely surprised holy lol!! we had mentioned marriage previously like one day kinda thing

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey Β·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was completely surprised. I knew it would happen soon, but I never knew when it would exactly happen. He did a good job hiding it

• GeneviΓ¨ve
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I planned it so no surprise there! My fw was planning to propose in the same spot but I hadn’t found a ring yet
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea Β·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not surprised at all! i knew the whole day that he was going to do it!!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia Β·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For months my fiance had asked me about rings I liked, we even had a Pinterest page of inspiration.
    We were running errands on a Monday night and he said he needed my ring size so we stopped at a local jewelry store, for fun I tried on a few and I fell in love with two but our plan was to buy a man made stone online to save money. The next few days he talked about how he wasn't ready to spend that much money, and how he wanted to keep looking. So I was absolutely shocked when he proposed on Saturday of the same week. Even the jeweler was surprised that he went in the day after we looked and bought the ring!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori Β·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wasn't surprised by my proposal Smiley tongue But yes, he sure was!

We had talked about marriage back in October 2017 and I told him since he had already been engaged once, that I don't want to be #2 - and that I was going to pop the question to him! He thought I would propose in like a year or wait till our 1 year anniversary when we would be travelling to Paris/Prague/Amsterdam - but that would be too predictable! So instead I planned a whole date night and proposed on Dec. 30th 2017 which has no significance other than now that is the day I proposed!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne Β·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was actually surprised. We talked about getting married but I didnt expect a proposal the day he did it.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha Β·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The only thing about the proposal that shocked me was the ring lol we've been together for 12 years already and living together for 5 of them, plus I accidentally found the ring box when I was looking for some paperwork I neededSmiley laugh I didn't look at the ring though, but it was tempting for the whole 2 weeks that I knew it was there to when he finally did it! The ring itself was nothing like the ones I had suggested to him so that's why it was such a surprise. But I absolutely love it, and it has more meaning I think that it was completely him that chose it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics