Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ss
Beginner January 2022 Ontario

Dessert Tables in Ontario: outside food

Ss, on May 9, 2020 at 23:51 Posted in Ontario 0 5
First, I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy and happy at this time ❤️🙏🏻 I know it’s been super challenging lately for a lot of couples (my fiancé and I have postponed until October 2021), but I am taking comfort knowing that I’m not in this alone ❤️

My fiancé and I are at a venue in Waterloo that allows us to cater our dinner. We’ve hired a professional catering service for dinner; however, we wanted to create and style our own dessert table for afterwards. We were going to purchase baked goods from some of our favourite places, as well as have some family members bake some of our special dishes to include on the table.
QUESTION: are there any rules or liabilities we need to be aware of in terms of serving food not prepared in a commercial kitchen, or food items that aren’t being “catered” specifically?
The dinner caterer has already had us sign a release to hold them non-responsible which is completely understandable. I’m just wondering if it’s better safe than sorry to hire one other company to cater the dessert table and we forgo all the special desserts we wanted to bring in.
Thoughts? What have other people done? What are other persons’ plans?TIA ❤️🙏🏻

5 Comments

Latest activity by Laura, on May 10, 2020 at 11:55
  • Laura
    Devoted June 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so glad you asked this question.

We are doing the same thing with our venue in the distillery. They are allowing us to bring in our own alcohol and we are also going to do our own dessert and late night food.

I'm a former pastry chef, so I am going to make my own cake (just a small single tier for the cutting ritual) and then we are going to do cupcakes for guests (so that we can hit all the dietary restrictions) plus we will likely buy some caterered petit fours, etc.

For late night, my FH wants to bring in McDonald's cheeseburgers plus we'll bring in some other stuff that would appeal to everyone. We'll just need to get the alcohol permit and we are getting wedding liability insurance which is usually a catch-all.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's also an insurance thing. Venues will likely require any vendor or supplier to have insurance for their operations. Unless you personally run a restaurant or professional industry grade kitchen and make food out of those premises, your personal insurance will likely not cover you for any food related illnesses that derive from your products.
  • Ss
    Ss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    *Kelsie (typo) ❤️🙏🏻
  • Ss
    Ss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Katie,

Thanks for the response!
    Our venue is a-ok with us bringing in homemade food. We are also responsible for getting insurance for ourselves a week prior to the wedding; however, I’ve not looked into coverage regarding food and liability.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You have to ask your venue that question.

My bridal shower venue was very strict with us - we could not bring in anything that was made in someone else’s home. It had to be brought in from a professional caterer. Usually my FHs side likes to bring in their own home made desserts and things, so we couldn’t do that with my venue.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics