Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kimberly
Curious July 2021 Alberta

Dessert quote

Kimberly, on February 26, 2021 at 15:54 Posted in Wedding reception 0 14
I’m just looking for opinions of this quote I received. Looking to do donuts for the wedding, granted the donuts are large and quite delicious- I didn’t expect the cost to be so high.
Is it normal to pay a catering fee ? I reached out to a donut shop and asked if they cater for weddings and they said they were just starting to and had their first event in February.
Dessert quote 1

14 Comments

Latest activity by Alexis, on March 8, 2021 at 01:10
  • Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My first thought is that price is outrageous lol but tbh so is everything wedding related it seems. And if the donuts are good it’s worth it. Also, if there’s someone there being paid to deliver/set up and keep the donut board full then I think $135 is reasonable
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The price range for the individual donut about right for the size your getting catered considering its a bit over $5. Inquiring within other bakeries to get pricing and their services/delivery charges would give you a better idea of what it would be than the first quote given. Your budget is what your considering too as a cost factor if the venue is close by. Pick the best bakery that will give you the deal you like in the price range.
  • Ebony
    Newbie August 2023 Alberta
    Ebony ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Any vendor located in Banff or Canmore is always going to cost more and any vendor involved with anything wedding related is going to upcharge...

So now you have $7.50 donut per person.
    I think this is reasonable for them to ask but I’d want to know what’s covered in the catering fee. Is someone staying and filling up the board the entire time?
    I would also get a few quotes (try independent bakers or local bakeries) and consider whether the total amount fits in the budget. If you’re doing this instead of cake then just go for it!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your cheaper donuts make up for your crazier housing prices Smiley xd

But yeah, it looks like the store Kimberly is quoted on also benefits from the tourism privilege. Most people in Canmore are likely passing through to hit Banff.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol we must be spoiled in Vancouver. Our more fancy/gourmet donuts are about $3 to $4 tops. It doesn't make a big difference when buying one or two but adds up fast for a wedding. It looks like this store is in Canmore though so maybe they just don't have any competition and can make their prices as high as they want.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Are they setting it up and serving it? If so, that sounds like a reasonable fee to have a staff member there for a few hours.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

*insert video about stuff being more expensive when "wedding" is attached to it...

But seriously, $5 for a fancy donut is about right based on the gourmet donuts I've tried in Toronto. It's a culture shock because it's really hard for everyone to separate $1 from Tim Hortons to "fancy" donuts. Your quote is more or less in line with what we pay for a fancy donut.

• L
    Curious August 2021 Alberta
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Going to say this is pretty expensive, and I don’t know if your guests will really notice how fancy they are. They also seem a little to large for your display board, you wouldn’t be able to take one off without moving the ones around it. If it was me, I’d be looking for a different option.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This seems quite excessive, even before the catering and delivery fees. We had a fancy doughnut shop (closed due to family issues, miss it dearly!) and the most expensive edible cookie dough topped ones were definitely under $5 and looked way fancier, plus they offered bulk discounts!

Are they close enough that someone could pick them up from the shop (as a regular special order, not wedding specific) to avoid the catering and delivery charges? Can you get half of these and supplement them with less expensive doughnuts from another bakery, a grocery store, or coffee shop?If these are your only dessert then the cost is a little more justifiable, but if you're doing this *and* cake then to me it is too pricey.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That is for 80 donuts? Over $8 each? I personally would never pay that for a donut but I'm use to seeing about $3.50-4 per slice of cake. So I'm not sure how much it would be in your area.
  • Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmm I don't know what's a reasonable number, but I do think it's totally fair for them to charge something extra for catering. I assume the donuts are made fresh that day and so they'll need to make your order on top of what they make on a normal day. That could require extra staff for a few hours that morning or extra hours for existing staff. They probably also need to invest in additional equipment and a vehicle for catering and that will contribute to an extra cost.

Maybe ask them to break down that fee for you if you don't think it's reasonable?

If you aren't willing to pay the fee do you have someone you can ask to pick up the donuts and set them up for you? Maybe a family member or friend you trust? It just seems like something that's not too difficult and could be done yourself to save the cost, especially since you're providing the display.

• Kimberly
    Curious July 2021 Alberta
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes the pricing is similar. But there is also an $80 charge for delivery and set up.
    I’m fine paying over $5 each , they are quite large and delicious. Even the $80 delivery and set up sounds reasonable. I just don’t know if it’s reasonable to pay a $135 catering fee. Dessert quote 2
    Dessert quote 3

• Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    How much do they charge per donut in their shop? If it’s the same price (roughly $5 per donut) then this doesn’t seem unreasonable. They obviously need to be compensated for travelling to the venue and setting everything up.
    But I will say $5 per donut is STEEP. I wouldn’t pay this much.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda Online ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I aren't having to pay for a catering fee for our cake and we're getting married in BC.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics