Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jordyn
Newbie April 2021 Saskatchewan

Demin is a no No!

Jordyn, on March 1, 2019 at 12:31 Posted in Wedding reception 0 9

HELP!

How do I make sure no demin, T-shirts or shorts end up showing a face at my Wedding/Reception?

Basically I have this one branch of the family who's honest belief is that jeans, shorts and t-shirts are totally alright to wear for every occasion....

I'm having a semi-formal wedding in the fall so you would think this wouldn't;t be an issue (Shorts I mean) But this family dead of winter walks around in shorts like it not -40c out there....

I go absolutely bonkers when I attend weddings and there's flip flops, jeans, t-shirts and shorts when everyone else is dressed as per a wedding should be.

I'm getting myself worked up over this because I'm putting all this time and money into my wedding I don't want my special day to be the only thing people remember is the people ho showed up dressed like that....

HELP!! Smiley sad

9 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on March 6, 2019 at 12:33
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

On the invitation, put a dress code to indicate what people should be aware of when attending and there isn't any confusion at all.

This is done on all invitations sent to our family or homes also being notified what to expect when attending the occasion(s).

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely mention on the invitation that the dress code is semi-formal, maybe in brackets put dress/suit & tie so people really understand. This made me start thinking about my guest..if anyone is going to show up too casual. Our wedding is in a barn but it's still formal so I hope people don't assume they can just wear jeans and a tee..
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Dont worry I have the exact same family hahah!! I mean it's like a... showing up in pjs to Christmas dinner is totally fine kinda fam! But on the invites we just put "formal event" so I hope that's enough! If someone shows up in jeans it's not a huge bummer for me.... now if someone shows up in a white dress the bridezilla might arise.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be stating on the invites "semi-formal (this means no jeans!)"

Most of my guests will probably take it as funny but I will also let them know they can feel free to bring a second set of clothes to change into after the ceremony seeing as how we plan on having bonfires later in the evening.

• Rachel
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I mentioned on my invite the type of attire expected at our wedding and then on our website I used that spot to further expand on that, and I mentioned there "no denim". I assume there will be one or two that don't listen, but I've done the best I can
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm having the attire written out on the invitations and then again on the wedding website, where it's more spelled out: no jeans, runners, t-shirts, etc.

At the same time, we can't control how others act, if someone shows up in jeans, that's on them. You can talk to them and ask that they don't wear denim but in the end, it could still happen. Trust me, no one will be talking about how Uncle Bob wore jeans to Cousin Kate's wedding, they'll be talking about how nice you look!

• Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you indicate a dress code on your invites you should be fine! You could also include a section about the dress code in your FAQ on your website and then you can literally just write out our dress code means no jeans, no shorts, no flip flops...
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I guess the first question is: Is this the hill you are willing to die on? Meaning - is this the fight you really want to have? If it is THAT important to you that it is, then have a serious conversation with each of the people you're worried about. If not, then let it go.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That would drive me nuts too! I'd indicate on the back of your invitations, RSVPs or website that it's a "black tie" or "semi-formal" affair.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics