Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tamanna
Curious June 2021 Ontario

Decrease guest count?

Tamanna, on December 31, 2020 at 23:20 Posted in Ontario 0 6
Hi everyone, our wedding is in June 2021, all vendors have been booked for that date. We're in Toronto and so is our venue, and the case count has been really high during this second wave. So we're wondering what to do about the guest list which was initially 70 people. We haven't sent out any save the date cards or invitations yet but we've got to by the end of February 2021. Question is, do we send them to all 70 people or a smaller group of very close people (25 to 30 maximum). This assumes that the restrictions wouldn't be all gone by June but will be better than now... Any advice on how we should go about this?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Tamanna, on January 7, 2021 at 00:50
  • Tamanna
    Tamanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Sabrina,
    That's a smart way to do this! Awesome job with the backups. Our A list is like 35 people so I think it's doable as long as there's no lockdown. Thank you so much for your advice and comment, I really appreciate it Smiley smile
  • Sabrina
    Curious July 2022 Ontario
    Sabrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi there! I am getting married July 31. 2021. We sent out our save the dates in October as if we were proceeding with our full amount of guests (150). During our tasting, we had a frank conversation with our day-of-coordinator and told her we would have to postpone if we couldn't accommodate 100 people (we both have large immediate families) and asked her to be realistic with us. Vendors are hopeful they will be able to accommodate 100 by than, but definitely not 150. We will also follow up in May to ensure we will be able to have 100 before sending out invitations. With that information, we have made the decision to go through our list and send wedding invites to those who are on a must-have list ('A' list if you will), and wait until we hear back. If there are declines from the A list, we will send out extra invites. A month before the wedding we will be sending an apology email/calling guest who received save-the-dates, explaining the situation (along the lines: we apologize, but due to restrictions we have had to make a tough decision to stick with a more intimate wedding. We look forward to celebrating with you at a later time). To sum it up: I would send invitations to those you will be able to accommodate and then extend invites if anyone declines (and people will!). Hope this helps! Good luck Smiley smile

• Tamanna
    Tamanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi there,
    I think it's big enough to hold 50 people indoors socially distanced.
    However, the outdoor option is only for the ceremony, not enough space for hosting the reception. Thank you for your insight! Smiley smile
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Provided they don't change the guidelines, you can have 50 guests inside only if the space allows 6 feet apart per person in an Orange Zone venue.

Does your venue have an outdoor option?

• Tamanna
    Tamanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much, this is super helpful! I really appreciate the details and options you've provided. We have an outdoor ceremony and indoor reception planned in the same venue, do you think 50 would still be okay (assuming not in lockdown)?
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For those who are going through with their intended dates, what I see them doing is making separate guest lists (10, 25, and 50) so they know who will be cut if things go south. Some people are sending only in small batches and adding guests as people decline, while others are sending all invites with a disclaimer that their attendance is pending government restrictions. Anyone who has to travel and book accommodation are usually advised to hold off for that reason (but to be fair, it's very unlikely hotel rooms will be unavailable).

With 70 people, you would likely have to keep it outdoors as things were capped at 50 max for indoors even during the summer.

If you don't have out of town guests, I don't think Save the Dates are necessary. Assuming your venue requires the guest count by four weeks out, invites can go out four months prior with a due date to RSVP at two months out. This gives you a month to sort all your RSVPs and send them to venue.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics