Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emma
Curious July 2020 Ontario

Deceased Father

Emma, on November 24, 2019 at 12:48 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 19
How to incorporate Deceased Father of the bride in ceremony? I lost my dad last year and I want him to be an important part of the day. I had a sign made that says, " we know you would be here if heaven wasnt so far away" that has a photo of my dad and under the photo it says father of the bride. Would it be weird for my mom and stepdad to walk me down the aisle with my stepdad holding the sign? Or should I just get my mom only to walk me down the aisle.

19 Comments

Latest activity by Emma, on December 10, 2019 at 10:31
  • Emma
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good point it's a beautiful picture
  • D
    Frequent user June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    In 20-30 years when you look at your wedding photos of your mom walking you down the aisle do you think you will be thinking mom was cross i wouldnt let my step dad walk with us or that its a beautiful picture?
  • Emma
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! I think I do just want it to be my mom. Sometimes she's a little difficult when she doesn't get her way
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have seen so many brides have pictures or trinkets on their person somewhere. either in their flowers or sometimes their dress. there are many ways to honor him but you need to remember not to do it for everyone else. if you are the only one who gets the reference or even sees it then thats what matters the most because its for you not them. even having an empty chair up front with a candle lit with his picture would be a beautiful way to honor him.

• D
    Frequent user June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am doing a small photograph frames of my grandparents on my bouquet and they are visible around my flowers. This way he could still walk you down the aisle. We also included wording in our ceremony about those have passed and at the reception we have a table set for those who have past their photos and a sign similar to yours. If you just want your mom dont be afraid to tell her that! It is your day!
  • Emma
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We're not super close.i think I just want my mom to walk me down the aisle I know my mom wants her and my stepdad too but I prefer just my mom.
    Memory table is a good idea
  • B
    Frequent user July 2020 Saskatchewan
    Brett ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When my dad passed away a year and a half ago my mom got his finger print from the funeral home and had it engraved on a pendant for me. I plan on wearing that on a bracelet or anklet for my wedding.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its totally up to you and how close you are with step dad. you could also do a memorial table in the lobby of your venue with that sign you made and photos and candles etc.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Glad there was a solution your dilemma.

• Emma
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love that! That's such an amazing idea! Thank you so much I'm going to do that.i especially love my husband to be and I lighting the candle together
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In this scenario, the best suggestion I can give is your mom walking you down while you have your bouquet. The bouquet itself should have a picture of your father on it facing you so you know that he is there with you in spirit. This is something my cousin did especially since she loved her dad a lot as you do.

When you do the reception entrance, have a picture of you father and a candle in front of it and light it to bring his presence into the room. This was done by one of my SILs sister as she wanted something special to remember their father in spirit and in heaven. Her and her husband lit it together.

I hope this suggestion works and brings that personal touch to your day and you personally.

• Emma
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes you are exactly right. Thank you for your honesty!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would personally just have your Mom walk you down if you were originally going to have your Mom and Dad or just Dad. Adding the Step-Dad is a bit weird because I assume had your Dad still been alive your Step-Dad wouldn't have been a thought to walk you down the aisle.

• Emma
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for your advice! I think I'll keep the sign on his chair and I have a picture to put on my bouquet.
  • Emma
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for your kind words. Thank you for the advice!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've seen some beautiful bouquet locket charms so you can have him with you while you walk down the aisle.

I also went to a wedding where there was a seat saved in the front row with a similar sign.
    It's wonderful that you can honor your relationship and his memory on your big day.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    He will be there the entire day. You'll feel him with you I'm sure. Anyway that feels right to honour and include your father is the correct way.
  • Emma
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I have a charm with my dad's photo that will be on my bouquet.i think I'm over thinking it trying to make sure he's included in every aspect of the day.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have you thought of a little picture for in tour bouquet? You can have your dad with you as you walk down the aisle... There are some beautiful little frames for bouquets you can get. I would have your sign on a table with a candle in front of it. It is all totally what will work for you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics