Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Laura
Devoted June 2022 Ontario

Custom Wine Bottle Labels for a Cocktail Reception?

Laura, on May 6, 2020 at 12:36 Posted in Wedding reception 0 10

Hey everyone,

We are having a late-ish cocktail reception wedding (7 pm ceremony) and we are allowed our own alcohol, so we want to make our own wine to save some extra cash.

We aren't having a seated dinner so there won't be any "table wine" - so is there a point in making custom wine labels if the bottles will just be behind the bar the whole night?

Is it possible to have bottles of wine available outside of the bar on some tables so people can help themselves (in the same way table wine at dinner would be) or does it have to be served by a smart serve certified person?

Thanks for your thoughts!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Laura, on May 10, 2020 at 11:34
  • Laura
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Absolutely! My fiancé sure wouldn't mind all the leftover wine haha

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Having 50 bottles of wine leftover is much better (and more useful) than having 50 custom printed coasters or martini glasses Smiley laugh

• Laura
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Hank- using them as favours is a great idea! I’m always hesitant about favours as I don’t want them to go to waste.

We haven’t chosen or gone to make wine yet- it’s still in the idea phase but seeing as wine is better with age we will likely go make some as soon as restrictions loosen.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not sure how much wine you're making but maybe you can use each bottle as a favour? That would give your custom label a use. Most wine making places end up being around $2-3 a bottle so it ends up costing around the same as a typical wedding favour anyway. And you're less likely to have people leave them behind compared to a random knick-knack.

Maybe the wine maker is willing to print and stick your design on for you since it's for a special occasion.

Which wine maker did you use?

• Laura
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for your knowledge Hank! Yes, we will be making our own wine and acquiring our own alcohol license and liability insurance. There will be bartenders - being a cocktail reception I'm not too worried about having to do table wine, as no one will be at a seated dinner.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are you making the wine or buying from the LCBO? If you're buying, I would recommend not tampering with the packaging because any unused alcohol can be returned for refund.

What's your venue? If they have their own alcohol license, your guests cannot serve themselves. If it's a unlicensed private property, your guests can serve but you will need a special occasion permit from the LCBO and you as hosts will be on the hook for any liability due to guests not being sober. This liability extends beyond the end of your event as they need to be legally sober before you're off the hook. With that in mind, I highly recommend not doing self-serve for your wedding.

• Laura
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Amelia, I love that idea. There’s probably no point in labels if they’ll be hidden behind the bar or maybe just for the ones on display!
  • Laura
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s what I’ve always known- I’ve never understood how table wine works when there isn’t anyone serving it. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Instead of custom labels why not have a few custom drinks? Like put whatever your favorite mixed drink or kind of wine is on a little menu board so people can order the groom's fav G&T and your perfect sangria etc. Some people do this and give the drinks clever names to personalize it a bit more.
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Whoever is serving it has to be smart serve certified unless it’s in a “private” place (I.e residence but not sure how that’s affected by events/ I’m assuming SS for sure.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics