Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Taylor
Frequent user May 2020 Ontario

Cruises as honeymoon?

Taylor, on November 16, 2016 at 16:10 Posted in Honeymoon 0 20

Hello!

I recently got engaged and I find myself thinking about the honeymoon already! I am a frequent traveller for someone my age- usually once or twice a year. I find myself really enjoying cruises as I find you see more this way. I've done a lot of the Caribbean, Greece, Italy and I am doing a large part of Northern Europe this summer. I want something different, does anyone have any ideas? Thinking Australia and New Zealand cruise or maybe Fiji. Has anyone gone on a cruise like this before? More than happy to hear any suggestions

Tay

20 Comments

Latest activity by Emilie, on January 12, 2017 at 12:59
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow! That would be such a great trip Samantha! I'm glad you're sharing your idea here Smiley heart What's included on the cruise? What package did you choose?

• Samantha
    Newbie October 2017 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've never been on a cruise by my FH has and loved it! We live in Thunder Bay, ON. Considering an Alaskan cruise!
  • Cheryl
    Expert December 2017 British Columbia
    Cheryl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would definitely go on a honeymoon cruise! You can easily see everything and do so much!!
  • Tiffany
    Devoted September 2018 Quebec
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi, I just heard back from my friend. She said she went with princess for the cruise and it was 14 days. She said it was great but a lot of older people. She did royal cruises in the caribe an and preferred that one.
  • Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your help!! its greatly appreciated !

• Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes I have been really lucky!! Travelling is one of my biggest passions that I now hope to share with my FH. If you don't mind kids at all the carnival is definitely the ship for you! Carnival is very fun but don't count out some cruises that target teens to older adults! They can have a fun atmosphere and sometimes depending on the ship they have amazing events that are age restricted! Sometimes they even have cruises that have nights for couples!

• Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

WHoa !! you definatly have travelled ... thanks for all the fabulous info!!! I dont mind kids at all .. I have one so might make me miss him alittle or it might help with him not being their ! We wanted a fun cruise line that fit our upbeat out there personalities !!

• Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Carnival was my first cruise! There were a ton of kids on the ship, if you don't mind that then carnival is for you - if you do mind you could try Costa (one of them owns the other, can't remember which). As for destinations and fun things to do I will tell you a few!

--> In Jamacia I have been to Ocho Rio and Montego Bay. Dunns river falls is in Ocho Rio and it was so much fun to climb with my famly - tons of laughs and quite a few slips into the water. In Montego Bay there is a dolphin cove which was cute and great downtown shopping! If you do go shopping and decide to take a taxi I cannot stress how important it is to take a JUTA taxi (that is their licensed taxi drivers).

--> In Cozumel Mexico there is good shopping as well, nice beaches and eco-parks! You can go scuba diving or take a glass bottom boat tour! My first time there I took a boat tour and then I went shopping - you can definitely haggle down prices if you get the right store. The second time I went to Cozumel we ended up going to Playa del Carmen. It is a ferry ride away and the boat ride itself was really enjoyable - I would recommend sitting on top if possible. We did Xcaret Eco Theme park! There are underground tunnels where you can float along with a life jacket on or walk around the park and see all the animals. A few cute little touristy shops there too.

--> In Grand Cayman Islands I decided to go to a turtle farm. It is a breeding and research centre and I even got to hold a massive turtle! I would definitely recommend this if you like turtles - it was also surprisingly educational. Once again there is shopping and Cardinal Avenue is a main stop!!

-->In Roatan Honduras I went zip-lining. It was a place super close to the pier and you could walk to it yourself. The guides were very nice and even gave us other siggestions on things to do - we ended up going ot the beach and doing some shopping. Unfortunately we didn't have too much time in this port. They have some cool vendors for spices and hand carved jewelry. I believe they also have a butterfly farm here as well.

--> In Grand Turk we just had a relaxing day on the beach - the nicest beach I have ever seen. The waters were crystal clear and you could see absolutely everything! I heard lots of people talking about Gibbs Cay and how they went snorkeled and had sting rays swim right up to them!

--> In St. Thomas there is the beautiful shopping district of Charlotte Amalie. If you like to shop like I do - this is a must. I also did a Jeep tour and got to see some amazing views and places I wouldn't have seen if I stayed in port. I know zip-lining is a big thing here too! I believe this is where I got my tanzanite necklace and earrings. Even if you don't want to buy I would recommend looking around because I don't see tanzanite very often in Canada.

--> When I went to San Juan, Puerto Rico we had lots of time there. We went shopping in Old San Juan and (the farther away you get from the cruise port the more interesting the shops). Also in Old San Juan is San Cristobal Fort - it was so amazing but a ton of walking. I tend to love educational tours when I go on trips but this one was fantastic.

--> I have been to Key West a few times but I alway enjoy going back. One quick stop to make is the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum. I love Hemingway so this was a fun thing for me but it may not be for everyone. The shopping here is nice - but you could say that for almost anywhre. They have a fun shop where you can buy things that change colour in the sun. There is something called the Island Passport (I think thats what it is called) and it lets you take a trolley around town and a lot of extra fun attractions - it includes the Hemingway house.

--> Last is Nassau, Bahamas. I've been here a few times and they have cute little markets in port - easy to haggle and they actually have some cool stuff. They have a ton of knock offs though - so do not let them up sell you into thinking its real. Its scary how real they look sometimes. Blue Lagoon Island and the Atlantis Waterpark are both fun options! Lots to do here but I don't know if I would go back after doing it twice.

So thats all I remember for cruise ports in the Carribean - I've done a lot of travelling in Europe and the Mediterranean as well if you ever want fun things to do there! Sorry it was such a long message.

• Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've heard they are awesome as well!! They tend to be a little shorter than I want for my honeymoon though so I may keep this in mind as an anniversary trip Smiley smile thanks!

• Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have not booked yet .. we know we want to go with carnival cruise lines.... but we just dont know which carribean cruise we want to go on .. so I am totally open to suggestions !!!

• Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I originally wanted to go right after the wedding but I've been thinking of waiting until November now because it gives us time to pack and make sure everything is in order! Takes away some stress during the wedding as well

• Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Carribean cruises are super fun!! Have you booked your honeymoon already? If so where are you going? I may be able to suggest some fun things to do! I've been on so many Carribean cruises its crazy.

• Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A Cruise is what FH and I are going to be doing for our Honeymoon, just a fews months after the wedding once it is colder out ... (I personally dont see the point in going somewhere hot when its hot already where you are lol ) So we will be waiting till end of Nov for our honeymoon .. but we are going on a Carribean cruise!!Smiley sexy I am super excited about this because I have never been on one.. and this is the main reason we chose this as our honeymoon as my FH is well traveled and I am not ... we both wanted to do something we both have never done before so a cruise it was and I am so excited !!!

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh that sounds so amazing! Love cruises! Smiley love Australia and New Zealand are definitely beautiful places to visit! Look at that view!! Smiley love

New Zealand Cruise

You could really be suprised by New Zealand cruises! I recommend basing your choice on the month you want to travel too, since they have their summer during our winter. Smiley smile Would you go on your honeymoon right after the wedding?

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I heard Alaskan cruises are amazing !
  • Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Never thought of Hawaii! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that Smiley smile

• Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That would be fantastic! I don't really mind the age gap, most cruises I've been on there weren't really people my age! I still have fun Smiley smile

• Tiffany
    Devoted September 2018 Quebec
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My friend did a cruise in the Caribbean for her honeymoon and a cruise in Australia another time. After Australia she said no more cruises because there weren't many people her age but I could ask her how it was and get back to you.
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've never done a cruise like that before but it sounds amazing!!!! The last (and only) cruise I was on I saw quite a few newlyweds (a bunch had signs on their doors and some had a kind of guest book for other passengers to write things to them... which I thought was weird because the cruise is full of strangers, but my mom thought was really cute and wrote them something). I'm honeymooning in Fiji, but we're flying there.

I've heard good things about cruises to Hawaii, though the cruise only goes one way so you have to fly home/there (depending on which way you do the cruise)

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've never been on a cruise- but if you like them- go for it! I think Austrailia and NZ would be great to see that way!

We wre looking at doing an outback adventure for our first anniversary (rather than honeymoon right after the wedding).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics