Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelsie
Master July 2021 Ontario

covid - Original Wedding Date Celebration

Kelsie, on April 6, 2020 at 14:08 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 22

COVID has been a familiar word for the past month now, and unfortunately its created a ton of sadness with respect to weddings.

We are still hopeful our July 18 date will go ahead, but we know it also is possible it may not happen.

What are your plans, if you have postponed or cancelled your original wedding date, to celebrate your original date?! Are you going to have a ceremony any way the day of and get married? Will you get married at a different date but still use your original wedding date as your anniversary?

What was your original date? Did it have special meaning? When did you move your wedding to (if at all)? Does the new date have any special meaning?

Getting married is still something to celebrate! What are your celebration plans?!

22 Comments

Latest activity by Britt, on April 20, 2020 at 22:32
  • Britt
    Frequent user July 2020 Alberta
    Britt ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are also getting married July 18. Our original plan was to get married in our local park with about 120people. We hope to be able to still have it. But if not we will be having a a small ceremony either at the park or at my MILs backyard with just a handful of people, we will then live stream it so everyone else who can't be there, can still watch. In this case we will be holding off our reception for a year or 2 maybe even 3 and then we will do a vow renewal and a reception the way we originally planned on our anniversary.
  • Megan
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much! It was plan D or E, but it worked. I'm positive they'll open up for licenses shortly with additional screening or by appointment only. Crossing my fingers for you!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Congratulations!!! I love this idea! I’m so glad you were able to get married!

We unfortunately don’t even have a license yet ...patiently waiting for city hall to open so we can run and get one so worst case scenario we will be married! What a crazy time to be alive!!
  • Megan
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm crossing my fingers your date can happen!
    We got married on our front lawn with our family watching from their cars. We celebrated by ordering take out from a local restaurant, and we picked it up in our wedding outfits to the delight of the owner and his wife. Then we drank a lot and face timed all of our extended family (there is a lot). Eventually we ate cake and went to bed. Our faces hurt from smiling so much - so all in all felt like a true wedding experience.

We've postponed the reception and honeymoon. We'll likely take the honeymoon when international travel is allowed again, and I'm torn on when to rebook the reception for...

covid - Original Wedding Date Celebration 1

• Amanda
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are super grateful!

Ours is a cruise and they have barred cruises from docking out of Vancouver until July 1st and we are suppose to leave the 5th. It's pretty tight! I'm just trying my best to remain positive and tell myself we will go, it just might not be then. Fingers crossed your wedding and honeymoon happen as well, I know yours is shortly after mine!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lucky you got your license! We dont have ours yet but hope to get it in June!

Don’t give up on your honeymoon yet! Until we’re told we can’t travel we’re still anticipating going on our honeymoon. It was a lot of money and I don’t plan on wasting it if I don’t have to!
  • Amanda
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding day is July 2nd. I'm grateful our city is still issuing marriage licenses; I went and picked ours up as soon as I could which was 90 days from the date of marriage. Our officiant hasn't backed out yet so we are currently hopeful and moving forward with our plans which is a very small ceremony and dinner for just under 30 of us. If we aren't able to have our wedding day the way we planned we will still get married; hopefully where we have planned but if not then our backyard, our friends field in the country, something, but we intend to get married regardless and will look at possibly doing something for our one year anniversary. It's not looking like our honeymoon is going to happen so I like the idea of having a celebration next year and leaving for our honeymoon/anniversary trip right after Smiley smile.
  • Alysha
    Beginner May 2020 Ontario
    Alysha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my goodness this is so adorable!! Our date is May 30th as well. Did you get your license? We aren't able to.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Glad you were able to postpone!

Our venue unfortunately has no dates to offer us so we’re going to hold onto the hope our day will happen and if it doesn’t - we’ll have to deal with it then.
  • Tanya
    Beginner June 2021 Ontario
    Tanya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Kelsie,

We made the decision to officially postpone it two days ago. We have postponed to the following year. June 26, 2021. All of our vendors were fantastic and understanding.

Best of luck with your day!

• Miranda
    Curious May 2020 Alberta
    Miranda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It is so hard to stay positive and I definitely had my moments where I just wanted to cry (and boy, did I cry!) But I think the thing we all have to remember is that no matter what we are marrying the love of our life and that is what is most important! ❤
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love the dance in the street idea!!

I’m so sorry you had to cancel!! COVID has definitely turned the world upside down.
    I love your positive attitude! I’m really trying hard to not freak out right now but with all the unknowns it’s definitely a struggle to keep positive sometkmes.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m so sorry! This is such a tough time for everyone.

Unfortunately, I think the ban will be extended through April. Ontario and B.C. are definitely beginning to flatten though which is positive news!
    I’ve heard rumours the PGA tour is going to open up tournaments again in June. So that’s some good news.
    Maybe try to hold on a bit longer and there may be some clarity for June at the end of April / earlyMay!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The pandemic has made a lot of plans to take away from couples getting married. Its a tough time though considering the city halls are not issuing a marriage license right now.
    The postponing dates are what venues can offer without penalty charge. Vendors are also understanding now too given the situation and making the date change. Its a nice feeling to know this is what takes from the stress of not getting married.
  • Miranda
    Curious May 2020 Alberta
    Miranda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding date is May 30th we cancelled the reception and are having a tiny ceremony in my parents yard. I had a major melt down after we finally made the decision, but in the end as long as we are Mr and Mrs Kelland at the end of the day I am happy! My brother even said he will play my first dance song even if he has to stand in the street...which, you know, a first dance in the middle of the street might be kinda romantic 🤗
  • Daniela
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ugh this whole thing sucks!!! I have my breakdown and now just taking it day by day.

We are 06/06/2020 and we are waiting until April 14 to see if the ban gets extended and how that is going to look and how my church is responding to that. If we can we will still hold something small. We are going on 10 years and cant/wont live together until married sooooooo we need to move it along ahah I cant possibly postpone any longer if I can at least have something.
    to make things worse we also have a second ceremony planned in my home country (Colombia) in August sooo we are still hopeful that can happen. If it can im totally okay with something small june 6 and do a big party in colombia with those who can make it, i mainly planned it because my family couldnt come and i havent seen them in 13 years, so it also acts as a family reunion. If Colombia cannot happen... im not really sure, i havent thought that far though vendors keep pressuring to pick a future date but I have lost/gained perspective into planning and having a wedding. Cant help but think that the only thing that matters in life is health. So should I have cared about colours matching, my venue being perfect, petty invites, charger plates, etc. probably not and this just reassures me to be grounded... always. Do I deserve a wedding? Sure maybe i will throw a kick ass vow renewal down the road or for now if i just cancel I will have SO MUCH MONEY LEFT we can travel the world luxuriously (one day God willing)!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Have you postponed your wedding already? Or are you contemplating moving it?

I love that you're carrying on celebrating your special day even if its not the day you may get married! It's still such a special day for you both.

If you haven't cancelled yet, I really hope your day will go forward without a hitch! I'm optimistic we are turning a corner with COVID in Canada!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm so glad you were able to get legally married! It's so sweet you're going to carry on with your legal married date as your anniversary.

I love the tropical dinner idea!! That is absolutely fantastic! I also love the fact you'll be including close family as well!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love how your date looks (I love even numbers - I'm a bit of a weirdo LOL)!

I hope by October COVID is long gone, and at the very least, we are more prepared as a country to get a handle on it if a second wave comes - hoping there's no second wave at all!

Your outlook is so true! Postponing allows you more time to save but also its a bit of a let down because you've been patiently waiting for so long for your big day as is! Fingers crossed it all works out for all the brides on WW shortly.

• Tanya
    Beginner June 2021 Ontario
    Tanya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're suppose to get married on our 10 year anniversary of dating! June 27, 2020. The day is important for obvious reasons, marrying my highschool sweet heart is something I never thought would happen, but here we are. I believe, we are going to be postponing our date to June 26, 2021. We want our family and friends to feel comfortable celebrating with us, and we want everyone safe. We've had to cancel out Jack and Jill, bridal shower and bachelor/bachelorette parties thus far. It just feels like the right thing to do, even though many tears have been shed.

We'll probably do something special on the day; depending on what the state of Ontario is during that time it could vary. But we'll be celebrating on June 27th every year. We've waited 10 years... what's another one!

Best of luck XO

• Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got legally married on February 14th (had a small restaurant reception and after party with 30 guests), but our wedding was set for April 11th in Punta Cana. We've decided February 14th will be our anniversary moving forward. This Saturday, to say goodbye to what would have been our wedding day, we are making a tropical dinner at home and popping some chamapgne. We are dressing up in our resort outfits, and having a drink with close family via Zoom! We wanted to do something on the day we've looked forward to for 14 months. When we do reschedule, the day will merely be a celebration of our marriage! I just don't have room in my heart to be attached to another day.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our date doesn't have a lot of meaning, but I love the way it looks and it feels easy to remember: October 2, 2020 or 10.02.20.

We're still hopeful, but realistic about our plans. I'm betting that my future in-laws won't be able to enter the country from the US. So we will elope on our day and have an anniversary reception next year will all of the people who would have celebrated with us.
    Honestly the idea of eloping and having an extra year to save for our reception and honeymoon has been a bit of a relief, but for the sake of everyone's sanity I hope the world is returning to normal by October!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics