Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Expert August 2021 British Columbia

Covid brides is it tacky to ditch glasses for plastic solo cups?

Sarah, on February 9, 2021 at 21:25 Posted in DIY 0 17
I am so tired of planning our wedding during covid we already postponed once and we aren’t doing it again so that has me thinking about covid friendly options.We are doing a toonie bar but are supplying a bottle of overly sweet red wine to all tables (grandmas fave bless her soul) But I’m wondering if it’s tacky to ditch the glasses and wine glasses for plastic solo cups in our colour and clear plastic wine glasses.I mean I would hate to have to wash a bunch of slobbered on glasses because people get sloppy.We have mismatched China plates and real cutlery for the food so it’s not a 100% disposable wedding.Any and all opinions are welcome.

17 Comments

Latest activity by Jonelle, on February 16, 2021 at 20:14
  • Jonelle
    Curious June 2022 Ontario
    Jonelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're going to have biodegradable "disposable" cups for our welcome drinks! With the current climate, I think "disposable" is reasonable: however I think it's important that just because we're trying to be as careful about germs as possible, we still should keep our plastic pollution in check - hence us using biodegradable. It's a little pricier but definitely leaves a better eco-footprint!

• M
    Newbie October 2022 Ontario
    Meg ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Seeing all of the plastic and disposable choices in the comments hurts my heart! If at all possible I definitely encourage people to find a more sustainable way. Some people mentioned just drinking the beer/pop straight from the bottle/can. Definitely agree! Maybe you could do something like labelled mason jars! Could be a little wedding favour too.
    Love that you found IKEA had class cups for nearly the same price as glass ones Smiley smile
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think I will have to check into clear ones for guests as well.For wine we definitely want real glass but maybe plastic could work for other drinks or at least bar drinks.
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s a great idea thank you 🙂 I have never heard of weddingstar so I will be sure to check into this as well.
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you everyone for your help we decided to buy glassware.FYI for Canadian brides Dollarama will charge $4 for 6 plastic wine glasses but IKEA is only charging $4.99 for 6 glass ones.Be warned they are extremely fragile as I have already broken one but it was a good deal and it will look a bit nicer with our China plates.
  • Kirsten
    Newbie May 2022 Quebec
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nope, not tacky!! We’re still in the midst of planning / finalizing our wedding plans with rentals and all that, and we definitely have considered buying those nice plates from Costco 😅, that way we can throw out after instead of spending so much on rented plates, especially during a pandemic and trying to keep everything clean & safe.
  • Kathryn
    Beginner October 2021 Alberta
    Kathryn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would just go to the dollar store and buy out their shelves of the clear plastic cups. They have like champagne style ones and I've seen normal looking clear plastic cups there too Smiley smile you could also get glasses off weddinstar.ca (my sister did this for her wedding) and customize a glass with a logo and that was everyone's glass for the evening. You grabbed one when you walked in and used that for the entire night. She ordered a handful of extras in case people left theirs at a table or didn't know where their glass went. But they also had "glass" writing markers so people could write their name on it for the night. I have considered doing this too. Covid planning is hard haha but this was in 2019, pre covid and I still love the idea.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it's tacky at all. You can find some really nice "solo cups" that aren't red. Michaels and Party City carry them

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I found *nice looking* disposable cups at party city. My parents hosted and didn't want dishes, but I didn't want paper plates and solo cups. My inner environmentalist cringed a bit, and they were a little more money than red solo but they didn't stand out and look cheap in photos.
  • Tracy
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh the dilemmas us COVID brides are facing Smiley sad

I have been stocking up on clear smaller sized stemmed and regular drink glasses (Dollar Store). Plus paper straws (great deal from Walmart).

Remember this is your wedding and people are there to celebrate you as a couple. Who cares about what they have available to drink, with the way things are we will be lucky this year to have larger gatherings.

My motto is simple but elegant. Give a few choices for beverages. Use the plastic drinkware and ensure there are clear plastic bag lined bins marked recycling. Then clean up is easy too because you don't have to worry about handling the containers/glasses. Just tie up the bag and out to the curb.

Try not to stress (easy to say, hard to do, I know)

Above all, be safe, in love with your partner and healthy.

Good Luck!

• Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Red solo cups might just get people in the mood to over drink because that’s sort of the wild party cup of choice. Are you able to get completely clear plastic cups? Red solo cups might take away from any decor you have on the tables
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you want to do away with the hard liquor, just blame covid so you can keep individual bottles and cans of beer and coolers.

• Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    They would be for the mixed drinks at the bar.Personally I want to buy canned pop,coolers and beer but everyone keeps saying hard alcohol and bottles of pop are the best option for a toonie bar.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What are the solo cups for? Is it for beer/pop? Can you not let the guests keep the individual glass bottles or cans instead of pouring it into a cup?

• Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was thinking about getting them in our pink colour but I can see how transparent might be a touch classier for plastic.Our venue includes tables and chairs and that’s it but it’s a blank canvas.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Guessing the venue does not come with any glassware?

It's not the end of the world but if I had to use plastic instead of glassware, I would personally rather use something transparent. Red solo cups scream frat party beer pong. Nothing wrong with that but since it costs the same to get a non-red cup, I would rather present a slightly more mature vibe.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My friend used solo cups in her wedding colours two years ago. No one commented on it. I plan on doing the same because I dont want to wash dishes after which we would be responsible for with our venue.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics