Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Newbie June 2020 Ontario

Covid-19 and Marriage Licenses

Noosh, on March 22, 2020 at 13:34 Posted in Ontario 0 13
Hello Brides and Grooms
I know a lot of you are on the same boat as us with your wedding plans up in the air due to the pandemic. Our wedding date is June 20th and we have come to terms with the fact that it’s unlikely to happen. However, we were planning on officiating our wedding on that day regardless and getting a friend to marry us and just postpone/cancel the party. Us having the date engraved in our wedding band is also making us feel a bit crazy for doing that. Now with all Ontario city halls being closed we obviously can’t get a marriage license. We can apply online but still the paper work needs to be submitted in person. Does anyone know any workaround or have come across any city Halls in Ontario that are willing to issue the license virtually via a video call/online? How do people that plan to elope do this? Do they still need to go through the license process? Any tips would be appreciated!!

13 Comments

Latest activity by Seti, on June 2, 2020 at 09:49
  • S
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Seti ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Ashley! That is awesome! Congratulations!
    we just set a date for August to get married, I'm thinking to call mid June to get an appointment for August.

• Ashley
    Newbie July 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hello! I just made an appointment yesterday to go to St. Thomas to get our marriage license. We are getting married in July and they just started taking appointments for July weddings. We are going in two weeks.

• Alyssa
    Newbie June 2020 Ontario
    Alyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes it was so easy.
  • S
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Seti ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Alyssa,
    Was it easy to get? since everything is still closed, I think I want to give St Thomas a try.

• Alyssa
    Newbie June 2020 Ontario
    Alyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey everyone. I’m not sure where everyone lives but in St Thomas (a small town near London) they are still issuing marriage licenses. I got mine yesterday and I am over the moon that I can still get married on the date we picked even if we have to postpone the big reception.
  • Lori
    Newbie June 2020 Ontario
    Lori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I also am scheduled to get married June 20 2020 and we have not yet changed anything. We cannot get our marriage license yet either. I wwas told the offices will reopen in April for marriage licenses in Ontario.
    It's too early to know what will happen with June weddings. My cousin is getting married on June 17th and wedding is still going on. So it may be the same for June. We need to wait it out and see what happens. My venue advised it's a day to day month by month basis right now and business as usual.
    They are all looking at April weddings and providing a cancellation option or postponement option. All we can do is wait and see in the next few weeks.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Its hard enough to do anything online and in person to get the marriage license from any city hall. They want to protect themselves as everyone is doing at this time with the closure of most business. Once everything gets clear and goes back to normal, the city hall will issue the marriage license and get couples on their way. Postponing the date seems fair enough than taking chances right now or eloping if city halls will allow it.
  • AMERZ33
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    AMERZ33 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm in the same boat... my wedding date is May 16 and I have not yet purchased a marriage licence. At the very least, I would love to proceed with the ceremony with immediate family only and postpone the reception for later date. Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a workaround for the marriage licence though at the moment, as all city services (I'm in Toronto) have been shut down until further notice. Will have to see how things go over the next few weeks and make a decision. Smiley sad Not ideal... just have to make the best of it!

• N
    Newbie June 2020 Ontario
    Noosh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks all for your replies. I agree there is still time. I’m not panicking yet. Just wanted to see my options. I know this is stressful for a lot of us but at the end of the day safety is the most important. Stay safe everyone!!
  • K
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m also a June 20 bride.... currently no, all non essential offices (marriage licences) are closed. But I would hold off on panicking yet- as it’s still a bit early.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wouldn't panic yet. Life might be starting to return to normal by then (I know in NB they've suspended non urgent court matters until May, but June could be business as usual).

You could do the opposite of what most people do, have your symbolic ceremony on the date and get legally married later. When it comes down to it marriage is an agreement between 2 people, the legal part is just a formality.
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would hang tight! June 20th is still 3 months away, and I would hope at the very least the cities are back up and running. We can't actually sustains months and months of lockdowns like this. I know it is scary and it's good to manage expectations and work on a backup plan though!

• Arexy
    Devoted October 2020 Ontario
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m sorry dear, you simply cannot get a marriage licence in Ontario without original valid ID and original signatures. The issuance of marriage licences is mandated by the province. As of right now, there is no way around this. Also, licences are valid for 90 days... your ceremony is still quite a ways away. I’m sure municipalities will be up and running soon enough.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics