Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Laura
Newbie May 2021 Ontario

Couples getting married on May 8, 2021 in Ontario

Laura, on April 15, 2021 at 11:19 Posted in Ontario 0 2

Hi May 8th gang! I have probably some dumb questions but I just haven't been able to find any concrete answers so I was wondering if anyone can help me. Or even just point me towards an appropriate info hotline where I can ask these questions officially, I've been struggling to find that for Ontario specifically.

We're doing an outdoor ceremony at a camp, so we can all safely distance outside and maintain the restrictions if we have to go inside for weather. Only 25 people including myself and my fiancé, and it's looking like we won't be doing the reception (which is ok, we planned for this possibility--we're doing boxed afternoon tea so if we could have the reception, everyone feels ok that their food is separate, but if we can't, as it's looking, we can send them off with easily transportable food to eat on their own later). The good news is we didn't plan before Covid and then have to make tons of changes, but only planned after the pandemic started and, if anything, we took advantage of restrictions to have a smaller intimate ceremony and also save some money!

So I guess my questions are:

-Are we allowed to serve some type of beverage? We have sparkling juices for toasts and were hoping maybe we could put them in flutes for people to take themselves. Or would we have to stick with directing people to the water fountains inside or sealed bottles? Basically, is water the only beverage allowed? I've been getting mixed answers...

-We have a cake, but we can cancel the order if needed. I know we can't serve the food to 25 people to eat there, or it counts as a reception which we aren't allowed to have for all those people, but can my groom and I still just do our little cake cutting onsite?

Honestly seeing my questions typed out here, I feel a little silly because it seems like, of course we can serve beverages, if you can serve water you must be allowed to serve other drinks, and if no one else is eating the cake, of course it doesn't matter if you want to cut it for yourselves, but I JUST DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ANYMORE!!

2 Comments

Latest activity by Laura, on April 15, 2021 at 12:32
  • Laura
    Newbie May 2021 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Hank. We're not serving any alcohol so we're ok there, but yes, serving water bottles makes the most sense. I guess since it's a longish day we don't want to NOT have water at least!

Also makes sense about the cake cutting! May not be worth it to take the chance.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It depends on if the Stay At Home order ends. If not, you cannot have anything that resembles a reception ie serve drinks, food etc. Same if you're in the grey lock down zone (highly likely if you're in Toronto or Peel). And I have a feeling shared/communal water fountains are a no go no matter what stage for sanitary reasons. And if you're on a camp ground, you need a Special Occasion Permit to serve alcohol.

If you're just doing a ceremonial cake cutting and not actually serving it, that's fine. But in the event bylaw/law enforcement shows up, try explaining that to them. It's your weird against what they see (you with a cake and a bunch of guests). They might see your point, they might choose to ignore your plea and fine you, you never know.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics