Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Newbie November 2018 Alberta

Couple Little Things - Candy Bar

Michelle, on May 14, 2018 at 17:16 Posted in Wedding reception 0 5

How much candy should I get for 250 guests?

If I stamp the candy bags now, will they fade by November?

I didn't think they would fade at all seeing as people usually scrapbook with this ink but my mother-in-law brought it too my attention.

Thank you!

5 Comments

Latest activity by Jessica, on May 15, 2018 at 11:26
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went with the same rule Peggy went by, about 0.5lbs per guest. I did buy just a little less, because we also had wedding favours which were edible and cupcakes so I didn't want to overdo it on the candy. I had 135 guests and probably bought about 50lbs of candy from Bulk Barn. I was left with around 6-7lbs, which we shared at some after parties we had and the rest got sent to people to take to work with them.

Definitely like Tori's idea of filling a bag, and seeing how much it can hold. I figured a lot of people would take them home to eat them another time anyway, which did happen, so they filled their bags.

I would suggest testing a stamp on the bag and seeing how long they last. If your bags are plastic, it may not hold as well, since the stamps are used on paper. If they are paper bags, I don't see it being a problem.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends on the people - if they are candy people who will each load up a bag, or if they are not candy eaters. Will there be any kids?

From all my research (I'm having a candy buffet too, for 200 people), the average number I've heard is 0.5 lbs of candy per person. Some will take more, some will take less. This sounds like a lot, but in reality, it's about the same weight as three or four average chocolate bars. This link has some fantastic tips: https://www.candywarehouse.com/resources/candy-buffet-builder-tips-and-tricks/ Using the 0.5 lbs rule, you should aim for 125 lbs, or more.

For my wedding, we are planning on between 100-110 lbs of candy. I'd rather have too much than not enough. I'm also buying from Canadian Wholesalers in bags between 1-5 lbs, which means that I can return anything that is unopened.

Another tip - Bulk Barn and Costco are both actually quite expensive on a per pound basis for candy. Online is okay, but still quite pricey. Canadian Wholesale Club is by far (about 40%) the cheapest! I did up a chart for comparison (sadly, I deleted it once I figured out where was the most cost effective option) - I do have my final cost estimate for 100 lbs of candy at 375.70$ from there, vs the next lowest which was almost 550$! You don't need a membership to buy there.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would think for the amount - try grabbing a handful where the candy isn't falling out - then weigh it and go with that multiplied by 250. As for the stamp - would it upset you if it did fade? If so; better safe than sorry Smiley smile

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's fine if you stamp the bags now, and as for quantity, I have no idea how much you'll need lol.

• J
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    JuneBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It depends on the of size candy you are looking at. For 250 you would need 62, 63 pounds.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics