Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Heidi
Frequent user July 2020 British Columbia

Coronavirus

Heidi, on March 4, 2020 at 05:31 Posted in Honeymoon 0 18
Anyone getting married in the next few months concerned about traveling due to coronavirus?
We were hoping for Europe so.. thoughts?

18 Comments

Latest activity by Kaye, on March 18, 2020 at 12:33
  • Heidi
    Heidi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Europe..
    Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Germany..
  • J
    Beginner May 2022 Ontario
    Julianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Barcelona, Venice and then a greek cruise. Venice is on lockdown so we had to cancel. Will try and maybe use our flight credits for somewhere down south instead but it's all up in the air right now. Luckily the cruise line gave us a full refund!
  • M
    Beginner July 2021 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Where were you going?

• M
    Beginner July 2021 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are travelling to Europe in early July. I am worried, but wasn't going to hold off booking just in case. We got travel insurance so we will at least get refunded if plans have to be cancelled or changed. It's really tough to try to plan anything right now, but if you take some precautionary steps you should be ok.

• J
    Julianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our honeymoon has now been cancelled because of the quarantine. 😕
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The government has been updating the site all the time just keep checking it!

• Heidi
    Heidi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    To travel rn, but what about 4 months from now
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ahh yes we are!!!!!! we planned to head to japan but we have had to cancel Smiley sad im so sad.... just dont go to italy. theres a website link on the government of Canada about which places are safe for canadians to travel have a look there

• Megan
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in less than a month, with a honeymoon to Costa Rica a day later. It's in the back of my mind, but I don't think I can do anything about it, so I'm trying not to worry. I guess we'll roll with the punches and make game-time decisions, but I definitely understand if some of our older guests don't want to travel.

• Lindsay
    Newbie September 2021 British Columbia
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same here. For my honeymoon we are going to Croatia June 1st.

• E
    Newbie July 2017 British Columbia
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Of course your timeline matters - things could change a lot in the next few months. I've planned events for over a decade and I always say you can control everything but the weather and the people. I should add 'biological event' to that list. Bottom line is that you can plan for a disaster or pandemic. You will have a plan B for if it rains and in the same way I suggest having a plan B for if travel isn't possible. If you do decide to go ahead with booking something abroad, expect people to opt not to attend due to health concerns (especially anyone 60 years or older or people with young children). This would likely be higher than a typical decline rate with RSVPs for a local wedding (but that is to be expected with destination weddings anyways). When making your bookings look carefully at cancellation clauses and discuss what might happen if you decide not to go ahead if things get worse there health-wise. Regardless of where you plan your wedding, expect some people to be sick and unable to join on the day-of. Expect caterers may be difficult to secure or rely on (do you have to host a meal?) I'd suggest planning something small, intimate, beautiful at home with your immediate family and friends who won't have to travel. Then if you want to have a luxurious honeymoon in Europe down the road you still can.

I'm going through similar questions to myself these days which might help you to appreciate some of the challenges of planning a destination wedding at this time:
    I've been asked to serve in a wedding party in early early September in Germany. I haven't bought my flights or made bookings yet. The bride keeps sending me dresses she'd like me to buy. I understand she has to go ahead with planning, but I'm hesitant to spend a lot and then find over the next 6 months that we have to change plans and the price of the tickets+dress will be irrecoverable. We talked about what would happen if things became un-doable in Germany. They can change the date but not get a refund/ cancel entirely. I see that airlines are starting to void trip insurance. Soon I'm going to have to make a decision about the dress, and in the next 3 months or so I'm going to have to decide about booking flights.

I'd love some advice on how others are going about making decisions related to destination weddings/ coronavirus. From my perspective if things are a lot worse in September I may elect to stay home to limit my own exposure to the virus even if the wedding is to go-ahead.

• Stefanie
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are going to Vegas for our honeymoon at the end of August. I work in a hospital so there is always some concern but wash you hands and I'm making sure that I always use hand sanitizer when dealing with patients.

We aren't overly concerned about the virus for when we go and hopefully things can get somewhat under control in the next few months.
  • Marissa
    Frequent user October 2021 Alberta
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're going to BC for our honeymoon in July and I'm worried about it too lol. Our flights are the cheaper ones that don't come with refund so we're still planning on going unless things get really bad by then. I'll definitely take lots of precautions. I'm sligtly more worried about being in the plane and airport around people that might have it.
  • J
    Julianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have a cruise booked in Greece at the end of May as well as a couple of days in Spain/Italy. At this point, everything is pretty much paid for so we have to go. Will just be very cautious!!

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not concerned yet either. I think there IS a level of take it serious, wash your hands do what you can to prevent sickness - but that should be followed anytime. I think there is a lot of fear spreading happening by the media and that is a shame, as the travel industry is going to be hit hard. I would say be cautious but until airlines actually start to cancel flights, proceed as planned.

As others have said, hopefully this slows down over the next few months.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We aren’t concerned but we’re traveling to St.Lucia in July. There haven’t been any cases over there and I’m paranoid on planes and in the airport as is with hand sanitizers and hand washing.

I don’t think airlines will cancel flights unless absolutely necessary (as in full blown pandemic with cases spreading like wildfire). They would be out of pocket a lot of money.
    My hope is the virus will have faded away by July but if not I’m just taking the same precautions I always do with good hand washing.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It hadn't worried me until quite recently. I was talking to my fiance about a shopping trip to the states that my mom and I have planned for later this month and it hit me that we might need to cancel if the virus spreads to our province or the state we want to visit.

For me I'm not worried about the illness so much as people panicking and getting caught in a mob of people who think they need a lifetime supply of hand sanitizer and toilet paper.
    Cancellations probably won't effect our wedding but travel restrictions could keep my fiance's family from making it to the wedding if this hasn't resolved, or has escalated by the fall. His siblings are in Newfoundland and his parents are in Wisconsin so a travel ban from either spot could throw a wrench in our plans.
    I figure if things have to change we will roll with it. We can delay our honeymoon, or have a symbolic ceremony later on with the rest of our family if we need to.
  • Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is in the Dominican Republic in 5 weeks and we are definitely feeling concerned. Mostly about our trip/wedding getting cancelled. A lot of insurance companies aren't covering coronavirus related issues, but the resort and airline have options for us. Europe is definitely getting hit harder than the Caribbean right now, so if you haven't booked yet, maybe you could wait to see how things progress or resolve in the coming weeks?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics