Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Newbie December 2021 Ontario

Combining Last Names once Married

Sam, on December 11, 2020 at 19:42 Posted in Just married 0 2

Hello,

I have been trying to find out information about the logistics of combining our two last names. Instead of just one of us changing our last name we think it would be really cool to have a new last name that we created using the first half of my last name and the second half of my fiancés last name. Has anyone gone through the process previously?

2 Comments

Latest activity by Chelsea, on January 24, 2021 at 21:56
  • C
    Newbie September 2022 British Columbia
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not sure if it's the same in Ontario as BC .. but in BC I'm quite sure that you can change your name to your spouse's last name, or back to your birth name without cost (other than having to re-order certain cards, passport, etc). However, if you want to hyphenate your two last names, or combine to create a new last name completely - you would both have to pay for a legal name change. Again, not sure if that's also true in Ontario. And I have absolutely no idea how much the cost would be!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Normally when you assume a partner's surname, it's just a matter of showing your marriage certificate and Service Ontario will update the documents accordingly for you. But to take on a new name altogether might require a legal change. Either way, you just go through Service Ontario for the process.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics