Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tori
Top October 2019 Manitoba

Colour Woes

Tori, on July 22, 2019 at 15:29 Posted in Before the wedding 0 10

So.... I just attended my FH's cousin's wedding this past Saturday... and my suspicions were correct! I was tipped off at the wedding shower that she had at the beginning of June and now that I have been to her wedding... she has the same colour scheme as we do for the most part Smiley sad

Teal + Plum.... the only difference is that her accent colour was gold and ours will be copper.

Out of the two of us we not only got engaged first, but had a wedding related function with those colours first.... so I do feel kind of like she "stole" the colours from us - but I know she must not have put two and two together. (Our wedding social was teal + plum colours but hers which occurred first was green).

I'm just coming on here to get the supportive comments of "Well I'm sure your wedding will look different, and I'm sure that the family attending that went to hers will realize but also know that you were engaged first and planned your wedding first" blah blah blah... I keep telling myself this but it still kind of sucks nonetheless...

Trying to keep going because we have already ordered our BM dresses in plum and the GM ties in Teal... at least her GM were wearing plum so that was different...

Just a bummer...

Her wedding was also more "classic wedding" with "classic wedding food" and whatnot so there's at least that which will be different from ours... We are going with Rustic/Glam and with Danny's Whole Hog so we know that our food will for sure taste 10X better... *hopefully*....

TIA

10 Comments

Latest activity by Hélène, on July 24, 2019 at 19:49
  • Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Arrgh. How frustrating!

Thankfully only a small number of your guests will have been to both.

I know it's not really a consolation but, it sounds like your wedding will be more unique and memorable, even with the almost identical colours!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When people copy it's the sincerest flattery they say. Take it as a compliment that she thinks you have great taste. Your wedding and hers will have a totally different vibe and like you said not a lot of guests will be at both. In a year you won't even think about it. You'll only think about your happy day 😀
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Right? I just wish we would have spoke about it from the beginning because I was even talking to my coworker who was at the wedding and I mentioned the only thing I didn't care for was that we have the same colours and right away she was saying "well she probably picked them first"... like... only if she had it decided before she got engaged? Even then I wanted the plum colour since I was a little kid.... I even mentioned to her that I got engaged first and how my wedding social featured those colours while my FH's cousin had green for hers and she just kind of brushed it off after that. It's times like that where it makes me worry a little that others are going to think the same thing of me copying the colours from her and that she picked them before me when that is SO not true. We picked the colours because they are both our favourites and then copper to tie them in together.

I guess technically only my FH's Dad's side is the group of people who would have attended hers and mine - and that's only 26 out of 250 so only 10%

• B
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Breanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel your pain girl!! We thought a family friend of my FH was getting married October THIS year but we found out after we were checking our hopeful wedding date with immediate family that it was NEXT year, the exact same date we wanted. We settled on an earlier date (2 weeks before) and then we were all having dinner at my future in laws' and they asked us our colour scheme. When I told them, they made a face. They had the exact same colours as us: navy blue, burgundy and we have ivory but they have champagne. I was devastated, almost changed my colours but I hated every other combo I could come up with.

We decided not to change (even though we had time to) because we both loved our colour scheme and we already caved on the date. Luckily their wedding will be outside and more rustic, where our's will be indoors at a hotel venue. The only repeat guests will be them and my FH's immediate family (who are super laid back and casual) so I feel a bit better about it. I think you might be in the same boat where your weddings will be so different that it won't matter to most guests or they may not even notice. The different season definitely helps, and the time apart!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That definitely hurts that the colour schemes are really similar, and her colours were "seen first" in terms of actual wedding.

But, your wedding is and sounds like it's going to be really unique. As hard as it sounds, try not to compare her wedding to yours. Your theme and season is different, just play into the fall decor as well! You've put so much energy into your wedding already, and I know it's gonna look fantastic!

People will say what they want to say, and who knows, maybe no one will even notice. Even if someone says something like: "it looks like you copied Cousin's colours" - try not to let it get to you. What matters is that your and your FH are married and people have a good time!!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm sorry to hear that.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, guests won't notice because the vibe and flare will be totally different. Most guests don't remember much outside the ceremony, the food, the speeches and the music anyways. Smiley smile

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sorry to hear Tori!!

I think youll have drastically different weddings even with a similar colour schemes! Your wedding is in the fall, hers was summer - so right away I think you’ll have a different vibe.

It sucks she took your style from you but carry your head high and throw your awesome wedding! And to be honest, I can’t even remember what the colour schemes were of any previous weddings I’ve been to. So I don’t think the guests will pay too much attention anyway!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had the same worry with FH's wedding last fall. I knew she was doing "rustic" and was similar colours, but at the end of the day our styles are very different.

Your weddings will be different, you both have different styles etc. If it was at the same place and everything was the same then i would worry, but they sound similar, but still many differences!

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I understand why you feel that way, but even with having several of the same guests, it won't seem the same to them as the dresses are different, the themes are different, location, food, vibes...etc. I'm sure there will be very few that even notice the similarity of colors. Smiley smile

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I definitely get it is disappointing regardless ! I have had friends do that and you look at them like really? this just actually happen? On bright side you have different themes and will have different memories or things you will notice about yours.

Try to stay positive and love your wedding and what you have done in it! you have planned so long and hard at it

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics