Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Newbie October 2019 Ontario

Cocktail vs. Sitdown

Rebecca, on November 24, 2018 at 22:11 Posted in Wedding reception 0 4

Looking for thoughts, suggestions, personal experiences, Pro/Cons, things to consider etc. See background info below:

So I imagine this is an age old debate but we're still in the early planning stages for our Oct '19 wedding and can't decide between a cocktail or a sit-down style reception. Our ceremony is being held in a friends home (a 100 year old restored stone church), with a very cozy, eclectic bohemian vibe (think vintage couch seating for guests, and large european area rugs). We're considering doing a casual, cocktail style reception in the same place and serving up some warm apps and comfort foods.

We're also considering a sit-down style reception but want to keep the intimate, cozy and personal feel throughout and aren't sure how we feel about booking a community hall or banquet centre that would look more polished.

4 Comments

Latest activity by Nikki, on December 9, 2018 at 19:23
  • Nikki
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Nikki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're doing food stations at our wedding next October. I thought it was a good way to create that social/ casual/ party vibe I was looking for but also keep everyone full and happy at the same time. The more I look on Pinterest too the more popular I'm realizing this style is. Might be worth looking into 😊.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Emma... a cocktail reception is usually between meals (afternoon), or after dinner. I think a cocktail reception gears more towards a late night, more party/socializing atmosphere, whereas a sit down reception with dinner can be more on the formal side.

Either one is a great choice, just picture your "must haves" for your wedding, and think about which scenario they fit into better.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Tables set will and ready for reception one time as guests enjoy their cocktail hour. High tables will take up space and not worth the extra cost.

Your guests will have leas to worry about their purses and coats to carry around.
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    They both sound sound great. For the cocktail reception though I would do that with a ceremony that’s in the evening (say around 7 or 8pm). That way people know to not expect a meal.

I think you need to try and picture where you see yourself on your wedding day and go from there.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics