Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Julie
Featured May 2023 Ontario

Cocktail Hour Music - dj or Pianist?

Julie, on September 12, 2022 at 14:46 Posted in Wedding reception 0 19

Our wedding ceremony/reception is in one place. Our package includes a pianist for the ceremony and/or cocktail hour. FH wants the DJ during the cocktail hour but I say, does it matter?? Not like everyone is going to be hitting up the dance floor at this time. No extra charge to have the DJ do it all. I think the pianist during cocktail hour and DJ for the reception works fine. Do I cave and give the FH this one small detail??? Smiley xd Smiley xd

19 Comments

Latest activity by Julie, on September 16, 2022 at 16:23
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Im having that convon with him tonight lol 😬
  • Natasha
    Curious April 2023 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love love music and we were totally going for it. However, the DJ we wanted had a great package for the whole day and it was already quite expensive, so we didn't add more vendors. If it won't impact your budget or complicate anything, then you can go for it. But first try to understand where he's coming from I would say : )
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks everyone. Definitely working on him about this Smiley smile

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have to say my favourite thing about my wedding was the live music. We paid (a lot) to have a string quartet play at the ceremony and every guest made a comment about how nice it was. It was the first time for the minister to have them at his church and he loved it. I missed most of it while waiting downstairs though. There is just something that is magic about live music especially at a wedding. Definitely wanted a DJ for the dance after but if they were available we would have had them for the cocktail hour as well.
  • KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would go with the pianist during the cocktail hour for sure

• Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LMAO - seriously Smiley ups

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See what's the big deal then, he won't even hear the piano during cocktail hour. lol Good luck! Smiley laugh

• Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agreed. I personally do not mind the pianist. Plus, we will not be at the cocktail hour. Have to work on him a bit Smiley smile

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Things are so expensive these days that having a free pianist play during cocktail hour would be something special. But then again if your FH hasn't done much planning maybe give in and have the DJ. It is a very tough decision. Not to often you have a pianist play at a wedding unless you are at church, just saying.

• Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Maybe you're right....lol
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Maybe he just thought it'd be easier and doesn't actually care either way lol. It doesn't require any effort on both your part though so hopefully it's just him randomly picking an option as opposed to dying to have a DJ play the cocktail hour.

• Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I wish I knew Hank lol He didnt really give a reason. I personally think its very classy to keep things soft and mellow during this time. Gonna have to work on him and get him to see things my way 🤞🏽😊
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What is his reason for sticking to a DJ for cocktail hour? There's something really classy about live music during a reception event, especially when things are more mellow during cocktail hour.

• Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is gonna be an interesting decision lol
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally think the pianist is a nice touch during cocktail hour, something about it when guests arrive I think would set a lovely tone and then to have the DJ on later I think could really up the party vibes but that is just my thought process : )

• Lissa
    Devoted October 2022 Ontario
    Lissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re having a pianist for the ceremony and DJ for the cocktail hour - but we’ve requested the DJ play Vitamin String Quartet covers of songs we grew up to or modern songs (spice girls for example 😂)
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree...if hes already included in the package, why not???!!!! The package also includes a DJ for the reception. Same thing....the pianist can do both ceremony and cocktail hour. Like the way you think Hank 👍🏼😊
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had our dj during the cocktail hour and our guests actually really enjoyed it! We got alot of great feedback. Our gueats said the music was great to have for the hour and a half until dinner.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally would like the pianist at cocktail hour. It's a FREE PIANIST!!!

Are you having live or DJ ceremony music? If it's DJ, just tell him it's a chance to get some live music in the wedding. If it's live, say it's a good continuation of the vibe.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics