Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Newbie October 2022 Ontario

church wedding but not a parishioner?

Mulan, on July 27, 2021 at 19:57 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 4

Hi all,

My fiancée and I would like to get married in a church although he is not Catholic (however I am).

However the church that I am a registered parishioner at is a bit far from the venue we are having our reception at (downtown Toronto) and we are hoping to find a church that would allow us to have our wedding ceremony there even though we are not parishioners.

Could anyone kindly advise what they think we should do? Is this unlikely to work out? Our wedding will actually be the first wedding we've ever attended so we aren't too knowledgeable yet. Any help would be great. Thank you!

E

4 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on July 29, 2021 at 11:38
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your fiancé not being a catholic shouldn't be a problem to get married with a Parish as you want. The allseasons.com site may have parish Officiants that can marry you be inquiring. Guess your mom didn't fill you in for not being registered at the church for the years you have been attending.
  • Janine
    Newbie September 2021 Quebec
    Janine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I believe it wouldn’t be an issue. The parish you are typically “registered” in is the one closest to where you live. My fiancé hasn’t been going to his “home parish” for years as we have been going together in the parish where I live. However, his “home parish” had no issue on preparing that letter for him. I hope it helps! Smiley smile
  • M
    Newbie October 2022 Ontario
    Mulan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! I didn't know that was a thing!

I just found out another problem right after reading your response.... I asked my mom about this and found out that apparently she hadn't renewed our registration, since maybe 10 years ago. So my family and I have been going to church for 10 years and had not been registered this whole time ... I assume my parish priest will not write me one in this case. But thanks so much!

• Janine
    Newbie September 2021 Quebec
    Janine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Peedith,

Congratulations to you and your fiancé! My advice is to call the Catholic churches near your venue and ask if they are open to non-parishioners. If they are, they will likely request a certain form that your parish priest will need to prepare. You will then need to submit it to the church you would like to get married in along with your baptismal and confirmation certificates. Essentially, it is a “permission” letter that you can get married at a parish other than the one you are registered in. No worries, I was told that no one gets refused from this request.
    In terms of your fiancé, even if he isn’t Catholic, I believe it would still be possible. I am not sure about the requirements on his part but I am sure the parish secretary will be able to give you more information.
    The guidelines might be different per archdiocese but I’m only sharing from my own experience. Hope it helps! If you have further questions, I will be happy to answer them! xo

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics