Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Newbie April 2024 New Brunswick

Choosing Lab-grown Ring for wedding!

Emily, on October 20, 2023 at 05:00 Posted in Before the wedding 0 3

Hi there! I'm getting married and though very excited about everything from jewelry, and dresses to decorations! But I also want everything to be ethical and sustainable. Before some time I got to know about the lab-grown diamond and also got influenced to some extent. I think we should go for lab diamond rings as they won't harm the environment and are considered sustainable. But on the other hand, I am not so sure about their quality and life. Should I go for a lab diamond wedding ring or not?

3 Comments

Latest activity by Danelle, on October 31, 2023 at 10:56
  • D
    Newbie March 2024 Ontario
    Danelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's all about what you will feel happiest with in the long run. There is no difference in quality or durability between mined or lab-grown diamonds, and a jeweler can only tell lab-grown from mined under a microscope (lab-grown diamonds have a microscopic inscription to indicate that they are lab-grown). The only real difference is that because mined diamonds are more rare, they're more expensive. For the same price as a mined diamond, you could purchase a much larger lab-grown diamond with better clarity, colour, and cut.

I've chosen lab-grown diamonds for my engagement ring, because I used to be a chemistry professor and having my diamonds made intentionally through science adds an extra level of meaning to my ring. I also didn't want my fiancé to spend a ridiculous amount of money just so I could have the ring I loved.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There are no difference, atomically speaking. The quality of diamonds, natural or lab grown, will differ based on the four Cs.

It's debatable whether lab grown diamonds are more sustainable and environmentally friendly. While they aren't mined, they do require an enormous amount of energy to produce - it takes a billion years under the earth and potentially a bunch of volcanos to produce a natural diamond, so it's not like we can just pop a piece of carbon in the microwave. If ethics are a major concern, there are stores that specialize in ethical jewellery. You can also check out other gemstone options, many of which also are available in lab created varieties.

• Jackie
    Featured September 2023 Alberta
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A diamond is a diamond, lab grown are simply carbon put under the exact same pressure it would be in the natural world to create that diamond. There is absolutely no difference in the quality.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics