Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Newbie August 2022 Ontario

Children?

Hollie, on March 13, 2022 at 18:51 Posted in Wedding reception 0 14

To allow or not allow? curious on every ones thoughts about having children at the ceremony / reception.

We are thinking about allowing children at the church but not at the reception hall or setting an age limit to attend.

We don't think that a reception is the right place for young children due to the loudness of the music and everyone around them drinking,also its nice to have a evening away from the kids with Adult conversation!

We would be doing a little lot bag gift for the children that attend the church.

14 Comments

Latest activity by Lissa, on March 16, 2022 at 22:59
  • Lissa
    Devoted October 2022 Ontario
    Lissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Other than my nephew who will be in the wedding, no other children will be allowed. We’re really tight on space at our venue so we just won’t be able to make it work space wise
  • Stephanie
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are allowing children to the ceremony and reception. I am a teacher who adores kids and knows they can be a handful. And my fiancé has a herd of nephews and nieces I’m inheriting. It was a no brainer to have children allowed. My future Mother in Law is helping me make little gift/activity bags for the kids. I am probably going to make print activity books (mazes, tic-tac-toe, colouring, connect the dots). We have children that are as young as a year old to 9 years old attending. It will make things busier but cannot imagine not having them there. We also have our ceremony and reception at the same location. There is a lot of open green space for them to play and run. I have some lawn games for the kids and families to play after photos are done. Keeping them happy is definitely on my mind.
  • A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having our son for the ceremony and flower girls and immediate family which is a couple older kids but that’s it. On our website we made it clear that we are only able to accommodate for our immediate family’s children.
    I’m a little nervous though because we’ve had some friends just have babies.. I’m not going to tell someone they can’t bring their infant 😬🤷🏼‍♀️
    I don’t think a reception is a place for children but I also think it’s a good excuse for parents to have a night out on their own! My son is 1 he will be almost 2 so I have a baby sitter in place for the reception
  • D
    Devoted September 2022 Alberta
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancee and I are having children at our wedding and reception, mainly because we are still undecided as to having her grandchildren as flower girl and ring bearer, and we felt it would be unfair and unwise to exclude other children save for them. There will not be a huge number of young children there (a limited number under 3 years old). Most of the children invited are school age (age 5 to 11).
  • Jamie
    Frequent user June 2022 British Columbia
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are strict on no kids at the ceremony or the reception. The people who have the kids are mostly our cousins kids, of whom we are not even close with. We don't really like children to begin with lol so it just makes sense for us to say no

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have children so we went with inviting children. It's up to the parents to decide when is the best time for them to go. We have 9 children coming. I know my kids will be happier and less disruptive if their cousins are there. They won't be as interested in getting our attention if they have each other. If we didn't have children I doubt we would have children at the wedding reception. Trust me no kid wants to go to a wedding ceremony, they'll be bored plus it's a huge cost to the parents to get nice clothes for half an hour. I'd go with kid friendly or no kids at all.
  • Jenn
    Devoted August 2025 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are limiting the children to those in our wedding party, and my nephew's kids (so like 7 or 8 kids total, ranging in age from 5 to 16 by time wedding rolls around). It will be up to the parents to decide if the kids stay after the dinner, for the dance portion or not. The two youngest (My goddaughter and her brother) will most likely go with their grandparents shortly after dinner, leaving the kids who are more or less able to "mind themselves."

• Hailey
    Expert June 2022 British Columbia
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say if you invite them to one it should be the other, or no children at all. personally were doing no children except for my 16 year old cousin.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're having children at our wedding but ours is a smaller group of children less then 10.

But in my opinion, if you invite them to the ceremony you should be inviting them to the reception as well.

• KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think the best option to either have them included in both ceremony and reception or neither.
  • R
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Rere ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are not allowing children, other than the bridal party to be at the wedding.
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We only had our nieces and nephews. Everyone understood and no one even asked - they were intending to get sitters all along if needed to enjoy a night out. My husband's cousins child really wanted to come so we said she could come for the ceremony and they did take that option. She hung out at the hotel watching movies after 🤷🏻‍♀️. I would just word it as you want parents to have a fun night out together. The little gift is a sweet unnecessary touch.
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We decided to not allow children. We are on a tight budget so cutting kids is an easy way to help reduce the guest count.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would give the option of allowing children to both ceremony and reception, or no children at the wedding period. A lot of people don't go home between the ceremony and reception so to force your guests to make another trip to drop the kids home or at a sitter would be cumbersome.

As for your reasoning for not allowing children, it's certainly within your right to exercise the option but I wouldn't use the loud music and alcohol as an excuse since it's up to the parent to decide if an environment is suitable for their children.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics