Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Changing your name

Joey, on May 30, 2019 at 08:12 Posted in WeddingWire 0 26

Let's talk changing names! Are you taking on your partner's name, or are they taking yours? Are you combining the two?

If you decide on a new name, it's time to think about how to go about making the change official. Have you researched the name change process? There are A LOT of places you'll need to change your name, like on your passport, your health card, your SIN record, your driver's license, at your bank, on your insurance, at work, and of course you'll have to tell your friends and family!

Will you change your name? Have you started the process? Are you going to use a name change service or will you DIY your name change?

Changing your name

For tips and guidance on how to change your name in each province (except Quebec! they do things differently there) take a look at our article on How to Change your Name in Canada.
PS - if you're making up a totally new last name, that's awesome! Your process will be a bit different since that will require a full legal name change, just FYI!

26 Comments

Latest activity by Dorothy, on April 23, 2020 at 07:06
  • Jenna
    Frequent user February 2021 Nova Scotia
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    She will be taking my name or keep her own. I’m ok with either.
  • Mikaela
    Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick
    Mikaela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would love to take my FH last name, Toogood. But, unfortunately because I am a Quebec resident I legally can't.. so I will take his name socially!
  • Alysa
    Beginner October 2019 Alberta
    Alysa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ll be taking his name. Not personally into hyphenating. Can’t wait to be Mrs. Allan!
  • D
    Newbie July 2020 Ontario
    Destiny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I haven’t decided yet. I was gonna put both but I haven’t put much thought into it.
  • Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'll be taking his name. I originally wanted to hyphenate, but I don't want to do an official name change on my birth certificate. Taking his name will also be easier in the long run (I think) for introductions, travelling, kids, etc.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll be taking his last name, but probably not right away. I just renewed both my passport and driver's license within the last 2 years lol. I'll probably wait a couple of year (at least) before investing in new ID cards hahaha.

• Michelle
    Beginner November 2022 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely taking his last name, we have 3 kids who already have his last name because they are his kids. It just makes sense their mama has the same last name😀 lol
  • Kathy
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    IF I change anything I’m going to hyphenate. I haven’t figured out this part yet 😊
  • Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'll be taking my FH's name and that is probably what I am most excited about! I can't wait to be Mrs. Whyte!
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would REALLY like to hyphenate my name, but my FH is not a big fan of this idea...
    He wants me to take his last name and get rid of mine completely, but my last name is so ME. Everyone knows me and calls me by my last name, I don't want to lose it!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're combining our last names to a totally new one - so we're going through the full legal name change process lol. We haven't discussed if we're gonna do it ASAP or wait until passports expire (his 2021, mine 2022).

Mine's Hauser and his is Neufeld and we're combining to Neuhauser!

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I can’t wait to change my name! i’ve never felt any particular attachment to my name, so it won’t be a big deal
  • Paige
    Frequent user June 2019 Manitoba
    Paige ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m changing my name to his 😊So excited! What I don’t understand is the process. I’ve looked at the paper work for the marriage certificate and it says to put your name before marriage so that won’t show my new name. And the marriage licence also had my current name. Does the marriage certificate just count because it says “me old name married this name.”
  • Nelly
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will be changing my last name to Rachael’s and I can’t wait to start the process
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yepppp me too. I basically JUST got my 10 year passport renewed.. sooo I will wait on that change.

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I took his last name, and have slowly started the process of changing everything. Emphasis on the slooooooowly. There's so much to change! Passport will for sure be last though, I only have a year left on it.

• Loi-Marie
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Loi-Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely taking his last name. As for the process of changing all the documents, passport will probably be last just because I have 8-9 years till it expires 😭
  • Shla
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    100% keeping my own name.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m going to tatoy my husbands last name. Just have to wait the 12 weeks before I can do so
  • Allison
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m going to be taking my FH’s last name but I am going to be keeping my last name as a second middle name. My last name is unique and has family history so I want to keep it. It’s important to me that we both have the same last name as our kids so this was the best way I could think to do that.
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m taking my fiancé’s name. I am traditional in that regard. Our kids have his name too so I’m going to be applying for the name change right away. Can’t wait until I have the same last name as everyone in my family lol
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll be taking his last name but slowly. I still have 5 years left on my passport, so I'm in no rush to change anything lol.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be taking my FH's last name.

The process to change names hasn't started yet. I will be waiting until we come back from our Honeymoon before I start changing things!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be taking my FH's last name - of course he still has to change his...

He currently has his Mom's last name so he has to get his last name changed to his Dad's (always wanted to but never got around to it). That should be done pretty fast as when you mail it in it may take months but when you go in to the place it only take a few weeks tops.

Then I will be taking his new last name of Doll

#LoveIsDollYouNeed

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will be taking my partners name! I won’t need to start the process for a while !
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm taking my partner's name.. I'm actually really excited. When got our marriage license they gave us some paperwork with info on how to change names.. I won't bother with my passport or anything until I have to renew it though.. too much. I will change it at work and on my license for now.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics