Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Andraya
Frequent user August 2017 British Columbia

Changing your last name

Andraya, on March 4, 2017 at 19:19

Posted in Wedding ceremony 42

So I have been struggling with he idea of if I am going to keep or change my last name. Finding and deciding on a wedding dress seemed eaiser then this. I love my last name My FH last name will make my name sound rhymy I do not want to share an name with my MIL ;P I have though of keeping both names...

So I have been struggling with he idea of if I am going to keep or change my last name. Finding and deciding on a wedding dress seemed eaiser then this.

I love my last name

My FH last name will make my name sound rhymy

I do not want to share an name with my MIL ;P

I have though of keeping both names but then my last name would be 17 letters long

What are your thoughts on the name change? No problem? undecided?

42 Comments

• Andraya
    Frequent user August 2017 British Columbia
    Andraya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for the idea - It is such a hard choice. I love my FH and would love the share his name. But yeah - am in my 30's too and my name is me and professionally it is what ppl know me as.

• Carolyne
    Super June 2018 Quebec
    Carolyne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It is the same for me but the thing is that I badly want to change my last name... :/
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was conflicted for almost my entire engagement, I wrestled with is it CONSTANTLY! I resented the idea of changing my name, I've had my name for 30 years (almost) and it's bullshit that there is so much pressure to just up and change it (from society, not FH). I finally decided just a few weeks ago to do a "double barrel" last name. So I will add his name onto the end of mine but no hyphen (just a space), that way I can easily go by my maiden, married or both as I choose. I also took this little quiz at
    http://www.marriednamegame.com/home.aspx and I found it helped me make my decision. Really take your time and don't feel rushed! You have up to 60 days after your wedding to file the paperwork for free to change it.

• Chantel
    Newbie October 2016 Manitoba
    Chantel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Growing up I always thought I would change my name... because why not? Now that we have been married for 4 months I am still struggling on whether or not to change it! I like my name! My husband has told me that he doesn't care, but I would like to have the same name as my eventual kids.. hum.. still deciding!

• Talita
    Frequent user January 2018 Ontario
    Talita ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't mind my FH last name but he never pressured me to take his name. For him it really doesn't matter. I haven't decided yet what I'm doing because I do like my family name and would be sad to loose it another thing is changing my name in all documents in two countries would be a lot of work, so I'm still deciding what to do.

But I feel, in your case, if you don't want to take his name, it shouldn't be big deal. He should understand you and be open to your opinion. Maybe you both can compromise a little somehow. Smiley winking

• Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In Montreal you keep your last name. It's actually harder to take their last name. So for me my decision is simple haha!
  • Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My whole life I knew that I was never going to change my last name and if I was with someone who would have pressured me to do it, it would have been a deal breaker for me. I look at it as this is my identity so why should I change it just because I got married? A chair is a chair no matter what so a Sam is always a Sam! Smiley winking My background is anthropology so I think it's ridiculous that men carry on the "family" name since lineages are traced maternally, not paternally, through mitochondrial DNA. It's "tradition" for women to take the man's name but traditions had to start somewhere so you can make a new tradition! I think it's totally up to you if you want to change your name and it drives me crazy that in this day and age people still assume that you're automatically changing your name! Ask! Don't assume!

• Stephanie
    Devoted June 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have no problem taking his last name!
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For me it was an easy decision. I want to change my name to my FH's last name. My parents had me at a young age and so I legally have my mom's last name but I am not so close with my mom and now her last name is my step-dads last name and I can't stand him. So for me it is like a fresh start.

• Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    How does your FH feel about it... My last name is infamous... I've been looking forward to sheading it since JR high... Now that it is closer, I'm felling conflicted... So I imagen its harder if you actually like your name.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics