Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jen
VIP June 2018 Ontario

Changing vendors?

Jen, on August 10, 2017 at 11:06 Posted in Before the wedding 0 14

Have you ever had to "fire" a vendor? We came across another florist in town and fell in love with her work INSTANTLY. We met with her to compare prices and see what she was capable of doing for our big day and quickly decided that she was a much better suited match for our vision of our wedding day. She quoted me less for our centrepieces (even though she was actually going to do more for them than the last) and her overall attitude and rapport with us is so much better. Our first florist would take weeks to get back to us but would be seen posting things on social media daily. I get that she is trying to run a business as well as do events, but there is no reason to let multiple emails sit in her mailbox for weeks without responding. Yes, I know I have 10 months to go but I have type A personality and like things done right away. We don't have this problem with any other vendor.

If you've had to fire a vendor, how did yo do it? Was there any backlash from it? We did put a deposit down to secure the day of our wedding (it was only $50) and we are aware we won't get that back.

14 Comments

Latest activity by Jen, on January 2, 2018 at 09:37
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Again, this was from months ago. Already taken care of.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The deposit is gone and not much to worry about getting back. Stick with your second florist and let the first florist know you have decided not to take on her services by email.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I sent the email to her about a week ago but haven't heard anything back. I didn't think we would but it would still be nice of her to at least acknowledge it. This florist will be so much better for our big day. She actually sees what we want and is enthusiastic about creating it for us. Hopefully the other florist isn't too sour because this is a pretty small city and everybody knows each other.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you found someone better that suits your needs than that's wonderful. Its unfortunate for the other person but as my fiancé owns his own small business I understand what it takes to run a small business and you can't ignore your customers. $50.00 isn't a whole heck of a lot of money and if it means you will be happier and they will fulfil your needs than full speed ahead.

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's so exciting! i felt the exact same way when i met my florist! I find ours is great with the 2 for 1 arrangement ideas, which is so reassuring because 2 for 1 is amazing for us but doesn't do anything for her, so she is genuinely suggesting it to help us out!
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think she will be okay with it but it sucks still having to do it. I met with the new florist yesterday to give the deposit and sign the contract and she's so frigging brilliant! She came to me with ideas that she sees for our wedding day and says that she wants to do this particular arrangement for our alter that can be used later on as a backdrop for our head table and it would only be used on our day. So excited! It's so nice!

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think if you love the second florist, go for it! I honestly think that you shouldn't sacrifice what you truly want, its your day! In terms of "firing" the first florist, I would just be honest and say thank you for your time, but we have decided to go in another direction for the flowers. When I was choosing my florist, I was talking to 3 at the same time, and while I did not actually book with the other 2, when it came time to let them know I had gone with the 3rd florist, they were disappointed and did ask why, but there was no backlash. I truly think if the florist is a professional, they will understand and graciously walk away.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Don't worry about cancelling, Jen. It's just business, not personal. It's no different than returning an item to a store because you changed your mind, don't like it, or it doesn't fit. In this case, it doesn't fit with your vision.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This florist is much more worth it and her portfolio is grand compared to the other we hired. I go to meet with the new florist today to sign the new contract and give the deposit, then I need to get ahold of the first one to cancel. eeeekkkk

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You have the option to use a vendor or not. If you are getting more from the new florist than the last one, it might be worth forfeiting the $50.00 to change. I'm sure if you let your first florist know that you've changed your mind, she'll be fine with it.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats why I was thinking an email to her would be better than a phone call so that I have everything in writing. Thanks for your help Smiley smile

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since you are 10 months out you have tons of time to plan and switch florists, and your first florist has a ton of time to try to re-book that date! The only "downside" I can see is losing your deposit of $50!

You don't have to go into a ton of detail, but I would let your original vendor know right away that you've decided to go in a different direction and will no longer be needing their services. To be extra extra cautious I'd try to get the florist's acknowledgement in writing!

You want to mesh well with your vendors, and they should be responsive!! If things are going this poorly with Florist #1 already then it will definitely mean more stress in the future!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We also found out that the items we wanted to add to our wedding would not have been able to be made from our old vendor because she doesn't have the skills. I'm glad we've found this other florist.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you just need to be honest with your first vendor. Say that the other person matches your vision better, communicates more effectively and in a timely manner and is more within your budget. Hopefully they understand and maybe this will change some things for them for the next bride.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics