Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Devoted October 2019 Ontario

Changing of name.

Amanda, on January 25, 2019 at 16:15 Posted in WeddingWire 0 9
Just a few questions.

I am just wondering how many woman took their partners last name, who kept their own name, or hyphen their name? Also if you changed your name how much of a hassle is it? I'm thinking of changing my last name but I hear some still use their maiden name for work after has been changed. Has anyone changed their child's name to the spouse's as well?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Taylor, on February 2, 2019 at 22:48
  • Taylor
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m going to be taking my Fiance’s last name and dropping mine! We both have long last names, so hyphenating isn’t really an option... although sometimes I like to joke to my FH and say that we should hyphenate our last’s name our kids and give them two middle names (both of our last names have 10 letters lol)
  • Natasha
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love my last name. It’s unique. But it’s important to my fiancé I take his name so I will be hyphenating mine. Good thing both out last names are short.
  • A
    Curious June 2019 British Columbia
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll be dropping my current last name, which I'm fine with, and taking my fiance's last name. However, for writing, I write under a pen name which is actually my birthname instead of my (current) adopted name. I won't change the pen name, but work and other things will all get updated. For everyone changing your names- as well as the common places you update, make sure you update your Credit Bureaus as well! I'm talking about Equifax and Transunion. I come across so many of my client who got married but forgot to update them as well, and the next credit application they do is a headache and takes weeks longer than it needs to because of this.

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I really like my last name but it's important to my fiance that I have his name. So I'll probably change it. I've thought of hyphenating but I have two middle names so it would end up being really long.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If my last name we more simple, I would hyphenate it, but since it's not, I'm just taking his completely. For the record, my last name goes Di M... , so it wouldn't hyphenate easily.

• Julie
    Expert March 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I still have not decided... My FH says he's ok with whatever I prefer. I was sure I'd drop my last name and take his. My Mom told me how much it would mean to her if I kept my name as well. I am quite attached to my last name as I've had it for 46 Years. We don't have Children but we have a Furry Baby who has both our last names. I know my FHs Mom will not be happy if I don't drop my name. I am realizing while I'm writing this that I am leaning towards adding his last name to mine with no hyphen.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be taking my FH's last name and dropping mine completely. It's just something I always thought would happen so it will be Smiley smile Plus we hope to start a family once we are married so I would want our kids to have the same name as both of us instead of different last names. With that being said - I just may not change my last name ASAP because of passport use and honeymooning. It would depend when we plan on going as to whether the new passport would make it in time.

We both don't like the way hyphenated names look and if our kids chose to do that with their and then their kids, etc. when would it stop??

If we did have any kids I would think that it would depend on where the other parent is. Is he/she passed away? In the picture at all? How old are the kids - and how do they feel?

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My cousin's wife is keeping hers for now and changing it later. She JUST renewed her passport and doesn't want to go through the hassle of changing it.
    I'm keeping my name.
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Whatever works for you!

I may keep my last name for a while after getting married as from what I understand it's a process to change it that I may not want to go through right after getting married. But I need to do more research on it.

I don't have any children, but I imagine most would leave the child's name be (if the child doesn't belong to the new spouse).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics