Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kristen
Beginner September 2019 Ontario

Changing Maiden Name to Middle Name?

Kristen, on January 25, 2019 at 15:42 Posted in Before the wedding 0 8

Hello fellow brides,

Are you ladies planning on taking your maiden name as your middle and assuming your fiances name as your new last name?

This is what I am looking to do (therefore, I would have 4 names because I currently have a middle name Id like to keep)?

I am wondering what the process of having this done successfully looks like. Is it as easy as writing out the new name on the wedding certificate (I dont plan on legally changing my name, I will be assuming).? Or is there more of a process and things that need to be done before filling out the wedding certificate?

Also, not sure whether it depends on the province, but I reside in Ontario.

Any help and guidance would be appreciated!

K.E.W ...future K.E.W.M?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Lauren, on May 13, 2021 at 15:39
  • Lauren
    Curious July 2021 Ontario
    Lauren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm with you on this topic! I feel VERY strongly about keeping my last name, but my FH really wants me to take on his name. There's no way I'm just dropping my name altogether so I had been thinking about possibly adding it as part of my middle name.. But having that invalidate my birth certificate and all of that sounds like quite the headache. Frankly I think the government needs to update their processes. We should have options that are easier when it comes to holding onto our own names after marriage. I know that's not helpful but I find it very annoying! Honestly, I'm letting this be my future self's problem because I just can't handle the headache of all this right now. But I wanted you to know that I'm with you, although unfortunately I don't have any answers!

• Kelsey
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'll be taking a new last name.
    Have you thought of hyphenating?
  • Lyle
    Newbie February 2021 Ontario
    Lyle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi there I have the same dilemma, I would like my maiden name to be my middle name for sentimental reasons. I also live in Ontario. Did you legally change your name to do that?

• Kristen
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ah that’s what I was afraid of. Thanks Alexandra!
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    In order to take your maiden name as a middle name you will most likely have to do a legal name change. If Ontario’s rules are anything like BCs the only way you don’t have to do a legal name change is if you are just using your married name instead of your maiden name or are keeping your maiden name. Anything else requires one, even hyphenating.
  • Kristen
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey girls

so there isn’t a huge difference but in a nut shell legally changing it means your birth certificate is no longer valid and you have to provide other documentation And reissue it to have your new last name. It basically dissolves the record of you being a “maiden name” .Assuming means that you take on Your fiancés last name and it appears on all your legal documents (drivers license. Passport, banking etc.) but the record of you being A ‘maiden name’ (I.e birth certificate, diplomas) are still legally binding as ‘maiden name’ .... so documentation does officially get changed but you move forward with your new last name. By using your marriage license to make those changes. My explanation may be confusing but if you google assuming vs. Legally changing you get some good explanations.

Im just trying to figure out what the process is for what I want to do. I’ve read in a ton of places people doing it, but no one explains how they go about it.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My maiden name is too long to be my middle name and I already have a middle name, so if I change my name I'll be dropping my maiden name entirely (to take my fiancé's last name in its place).

I'm also confused by what you mean by you're not legally going to change your name as I think that's the only way for you to be able to utilize that name formally (on your driver's licence, health card, etc.)

One of my friends who is getting married in May is changing her maiden name to her middle name (but dropping her original middle name as she dislikes it anyway).

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What do you mean when you say your not legally changing your name? If you were going to take his name you would have to apply to do so then you would need to change things like health card, drivers licene, any other licences you have as well, passport ect.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics