Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Dominike
Newbie June 2019 Ontario

Change of name

Dominike, on June 6, 2020 at 14:21 Posted in Just married 0 15
Help! After getting married, I've been assuming my husband name and I did change my name of driver's license, health card, banking information and cards, etc.... But now i am still wondering if I have to legally change it in order to update my SIN card and passport?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Heather, on September 23, 2020 at 17:16
  • Heather
    Curious September 2020 British Columbia
    Heather ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Make sure you let the CRA know that you have married. My lady that does my taxes told me to do that so that I don't have to owe any or as much money back from the GST returns.

• Savannah
    Frequent user April 2020 Ontario
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your passport should be good until expires as long as you bring a copy of you marriage license to prove that it’s you (I checked with my travel agent when we were discussing booking our honeymoon). As for you SIN, I reached out to Service Canada and was told for tax purposes your SIN needs to have your new name, I don’t believe your birth certificate changes though. Hope this helps😊
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This topic has been interesting to read as I've been struggling with this decision on/off for a few months.

I know I want to assume my husband's last name, but I'm paranoid about it (i.e. using my existing passport with my maiden name because it doesn't expire until 2024 and having a hard time at the airport because of it. But I also don't want to bother renewing it when it's still good for several years.)

Changing my name legally seems strange - I don't want my birth certificate to have my husband's last name (obviously I wasn't born with it!), nor do I want my SIN card to be forfeited. But I guess some of my concern is also because our last names are so different due to our backgrounds (i.e. his family is French and mine is West Indian.) Has anyone else experienced trouble because of the latter?

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OK - I think you should be able to request a new Passport then.
    Just call Service Canada and confirm with them, but I am almost certain you just have to apply renew your passport.

• Dominike
    Newbie June 2019 Ontario
    Dominike ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I did already change my license, health card and Everything
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I believe that should all change automatically for you - I would call Service Canada if I were you to confirm. The only thing you may need to do is get a new copy of your passport as it will be your updated and new last name.
    Have you already received a new license, health card ect. In the mail?

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hope you figured this out

• Savannah
    Frequent user April 2020 Ontario
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I read that changing your name on your SIN is not a requirement and doesn't have any affect on you filing your taxes, however also read that it could affect your CPP in the future (long ways ahead but good to note), figured myself once I am able to I would go into a Service Canada center and see about changing my name so everything matches, just to be safe!

• L
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I wouldn't worry about your name with CRA, because they match everything to your actual SIN, and not your name. I've seen names too long to fit on a T4, alternate names used on a T4 (ex: Bill as opposed to William), and I've never had CRA question it.
  • Arexy
    Devoted October 2020 Ontario
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Like I said, most people do not do a federal legal name change. Most people simply assume their spouses new name which is perfectly legal and fine and not confusing. If you want a legal name change, you must forfeit your sin card. Please reread my original message.
  • Dominike
    Newbie June 2019 Ontario
    Dominike ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So i can keep my sin card with my Maiden name? It won't affect any paperwork with CRA? I will update my passport once it expires. Im just afraid it'll get confusing if i have my assumed new last name on my driver's license and a different one on my passport/sin card
  • Arexy
    Devoted October 2020 Ontario
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Most people “assume” their spouses last name rather than do a “legal” name change. A legal name change is done through the federal government, and you would have to forfeit your sin card and get a new one. It would be as if you were born with your husbands last name. You would no longer have a maiden name. Like I said, most people do not do this. To assume his last name, You can change all your id’s over, and the sin card will remain unchanged. If your passport has not yet expired, don’t bother changing it as you can fly with your maiden name. When your passport is up for renewal you can change it. I hope this helps.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No personal experience for SIN card change though you can request it. You are clear for the change provided the proof of wedding certificate and ID. Check online to see if there is a form available for the name change to fill out and scan to them if possible. Other accounts you have in the last name before marriage can be changed as well to update the information.

• K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I should add that I am not speaking from personal experience--hopefully someone can chime in with their experience in this regard!

• K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't know about your SIN. But a legal name change does not appear to be a prerequisite to updating your passport. Based on my reading of the government's website, you are good to go so long as you provide the following documents in support of your application for a new passport: (1) a piece of ID with your married name; and (2) a copy of your marriage certificate.

I've linked my source here so you can take a look for yourself Smiley smile Good luck! And congrats!!

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/change-name.html

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics