Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelsey
Frequent user June 2022 Ontario

Ceremony structure/order of events

Kelsey, on May 25, 2021 at 18:53 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 16

I read an article on a general order of events during the ceremony, but it got me thinking because I didn't remember any weddings I've attended being done this way (or mostly just struggling to remember in general haha).

After you exchange rings and have your first kiss, I was under the impression the ceremony was finished and that is when you walk down the aisle (right after the kiss). I then saw that the signing of documents is placed after the kiss and before the walk down the aisle, and it kind of seems disjointed to me. and that you should walk down the aisle right after the first kiss. Is this the normal order? Has anyone done it another way and if so, where did you place the signing of the documents?

16 Comments

Latest activity by Tunisha, on May 26, 2021 at 13:09
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is a great question.
    I did not know the order either. We have yet to wait for our officiant to confirm his availability. Thanks for bringing this question up. This is on my list of questions to ask him.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Real life weddings do have the signing before the kiss as that is the final thing after announcing your now mr. and mrs. Movies do show the signing though its not real neither do they show the ring vows since I'd imagine jewelry stores don't do ring rentals for movies for the cost.
  • J
    Newbie July 2021 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for responding! Haha I know I asked my officiant and he responded with “I’ve never been asked that before” which I’m actually pretty surprised. Hoping to just do it in private immediate afterwards.
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I responded to your post this morning! We had this planned out exactly! Ours was super strict about the legalities and kept emphasizing it must be IMMEDIATE if we insist on this. Like yup, thanks!
  • Kelsey
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Right! Glad to know it's not just me haha
  • J
    Newbie July 2021 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Omg I just posted about this! I really want to sign the papers after the ceremony is over but apparently no one else has done this? Lol I asked my officiant and he didn’t seem to enthusiastic about it. At least I’m not the only one who thinks it totally disrupts the mood of the ceremony.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lol I guess it's just something that most people don't take note of. Who knows maybe you can ask to do first kiss after signing....
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Most of the time the signing of the papers is after the kiss but before you walk down the aIsle. You can also talk to your officant and ask him or her what is correct or if they have a certain way of doing things
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A lot of people sign the documents during another ceremonial act, like a sand pouring, time capsule, or other unity ceremony to keep it flow for the audience. That's how they're able to just walk off after being pronounced as a newly wedded couple and kiss.

If you're not doing any unity ceremony, you'll need to pivot to the signing somehow.

If you want to hide the signing for whatever reason, you can ask the officiant to do a signing before or after the ceremony outside of people's view but they'd essentially be conducting a legal ceremony (they have to go through the whole schpiel with you in order for it to be legal) and then another show ceremony. Some might charge extra for that.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

To be fair, on TV/movies they never show anyone sign anything. They're somehow just legally married when the priest/internet guy says "I pronounce you Chuck and Larry" lol

• C
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Fair enough! They all did it just before the ceremony. Our officiant told us it wasn't legal (not sure how so many others did it then....) so our only option with her was to do it immediately after our exit - our plan was to go into the side room and sign quickly with our witnesses.
  • Kelsey
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We don't have an officient yet, I'm just trying to get my head wrapped around things. How did you (or your friends) do the signing without anyone watching, or I guess where in the timeline did they place that?
  • C
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We insisted on doing the signing without our guests watching, the way many of our friends have done (in the end had a small legal ceremony anyway as our date ended up during the second Ontario lockdown) but we have also been to weddings when it is immediately after exchanging the vows and rings, right before the declaration, or whatever it's called, and first kiss. Your officiant should be the one putting things in order and confirming it with you though!
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    At my MOH wedding they had their first kiss, then signed documents then the officiant announced them as Mr. & Mrs. *insert last name* then they walked down the aisle
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I honestly can't remember what order we did things in and my wedding was only 6 months ago hahaha. I don't think people pay tons of attention to the order of the ceremony unless it's something really weird out of place. Your officiant should be able to give you an outline of the ceremony and what order things happen in or if there are things that are commonly switched up.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Every wedding I've been to it's been signing after first kiss but on TV and movies they don't. I think its pretty standard I'm not positive though

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics