Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Newbie July 2021 Ontario

Ceremony order

Jessica, on May 25, 2021 at 22:35 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 8
So I really don’t want to have the signing of our lisence in front of our guests. I feel like it really takes away from the intimate moment of your vows, exchange of rings and first kiss. I would like to have it signed after the ceremony is over and we walk out. Has anyone else don’t this? I know it’s against the grain a bit but I’ve seen a few weddings in the states do this. Is it just a Canadian thing to have people watch you sign your license? I always found it really odd and kind of put me out of feeling in the moment.

8 Comments

Latest activity by Sabrina, on June 6, 2021 at 20:55
  • Sabrina
    Curious July 2022 Ontario
    Sabrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For a marriage to be legal, documents need to be signed during the ceremony. The officiant cannot announce "I now pronounce you husband and wife" (or wife and wife or husband and husband, etc), without the documents being signed with your witnesses. If it is said without those documents being signed it becomes fraud (sadly) and S/he could lose their license. If it's a large concern, ask them what they can do to make it less awkward. Standing and signing will go faster than sitting and it will eliminate the awkwardness of getting into the chair if you have a long or wide dress (chapel length or ballgown for example).
  • Steph
    Newbie October 2021 British Columbia
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Some of our friends signed their license after the ceremony with just the officiant and their witnesses present, it was less awkward for everyone!
  • Tiana
    Curious June 2022 British Columbia
    Tiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We felt the same way (so glad we're not alone)! But when we talked to our officiant she mentioned that you really have to do it at a certain time, and that's actually the moment you become legally married. Something we've opted for is a higher table so we can stand and sign, because we always found that the bride trying to sit down in her dress in front of everyone at an often wobbly table is part of what makes the moment so awkward!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There is no way of getting out from signing the documents after the ceremony as the Officiant has to do what they do if they get their license taken away. I would have liked the same though its the process that has to happen in order and your witnesses are present. Your ceremony site has the arch or posts, a draping can be added to the back side and the table behind so no guests sees anyone signing the papers as an idea.
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We felt this exact same way. I hate that part as a guest (although really not a huge deal). Most of our friends have signed the documents just before their ceremony, however our officiant refused to do that as she said it's actually illegal (not sure how so many others do it then though) so we finally came to an agreement to sign the documents immediately after our exit from the ceremony (i.e. walk down the aisle straight to the side room) before meeting our guests outside for sparklers. Because of covid we ended up getting legally married on our original date so for our whole planned ceremony with our guests didn't need any signing, but that WAS the plan haha. You definitely have to ask your officiant what they're okay to do but chances are they've done this before!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you're being influenced too much by what you see on TV where everything is snappy and to the point for the sake of dramatic effect. I've been to a ton of weddings and never have I felt like there was a lull when the signing took place.

But as I mentioned in the other thread, if the idea of pivoting to a signing is too much disruption for your tastes, just do it as part of a unity ceremony. You can pour sand, lock a wine bottle into a time capsule, light candles, etc etc on the same table you're doing the signing at.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't really mind the document signing but if it's not something you like I don't see anything wrong with signing afterward in private with your witnesses. I haven't seen it done that way personally, but I don't think people really have strong opinions about it either way.

The main purpose of people watching the signing is the same as them watching the ceremony. They are witnessing the wedding AKA the creation of the contract between you and your partner to be married. I don't think there's any other tradition behind it and nothing specific to Canada, but I feel like it's usually just easier to sign right there and it gives people a nice photo op.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda Online ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would maybe talk to your officiant and see what they suggest you can do if you don't want everyone watching you sign the papers

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics