Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Curious September 2017 Alberta

Ceremony music: dj or diy?

Ashley, on March 15, 2017 at 17:48 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 9

In order to cut back on costs, I am having my Ceremony and Reception in the same location (inside) and timed close together - the Ceremony starts at 4pm and the Reception follows.

I am finding that a lot of local DJ's charge for a time period (ex: 8 hours), but then add on an additional charge for the ceremony, even if the time frame covers the services (ie 3:30pm to 11:30pm).

I am having a hard time justifying this additional charge (which sometimes goes as high as $500!). Therefore, I am considering doing the ceremony music myself somehow, I believe our venue has a sound system and if not, I would consider renting speakers and hooking up a laptop/ipod. Is anyone else doing this? Or has anyone been to a wedding that has done this?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 8, 2018 at 14:04
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did one location as well and music provided by DJ for both.
  • April
    Devoted July 2018 Nova Scotia
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    DJ 's here usually do receptions from 9pm - 1am
  • A
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Written by Emilie:

Hey Ashley! You can also look at hiring a band it really depends on your budget. You can also check out these discussions to find some songs that you'll like for your ceremony:

What will be on your playlist?

Music for the entrance of the bride

What music will play during your ceremony?

Do you have any favourite song you'd like to be playing as you walk down the aisle? Smiley smile

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I realized that for some reason my "quote" isn't working as I had hoped Smiley xd

I considered hiring a Band, Emilie, but unfortunately, I am not sure that is what I want and that it fits within my budget.

After reading some more discussion posts and wedding blogs, I am thinking I am going to give the DIY method a shot. It suits our desires and I think the legwork behind it will not be a problem at all.

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Ashley! You can also look at hiring a band it really depends on your budget. You can also check out these discussions to find some songs that you'll like for your ceremony:

What will be on your playlist?

Music for the entrance of the bride

What music will play during your ceremony?

Do you have any favourite song you'd like to be playing as you walk down the aisle? Smiley smile

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ohhh well I'd say it's probably fine to just rent a sound system if your concern is just ceremony and first dances! Having a playlist just run background music is definitely less stressful than trying to dj a dance yourself. And you can just get a friend or family member to hit the play button. I'd say go for it!
  • A
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Written by Katherine:

We have different venues... I asked my BIL to play during the ceremony but I think we will rent the churches sound system and create a playlist... Since it is outside his timeframe, our DJ agreed to make a playlist, set up early and have soft music in the background during cocktail hour and supper for a flat rate... I find it outrageous that some are charging you additional fees for time you are already paying for.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the input!

I agree that it is ridiculous. I will say that not all DJ's are tacking on this additional charge but there are quite a few that do. Some DJ's dropped the charge as long as they didn't have to move the equipment, another DJ told me that the additional charge of $200 stands as they are providing microphones and weddings songs during the ceremony. I really do not see much of a difference of playing songs during the ceremony vs. the reception...

• A
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Written by Sasha:

Hey Ashley!
    My fiancé and I are the same. We have a small budget as well so we were planning on doing just a spotify or iTunes playlist for the ceremony and reception but we just ended up going with a dj instead since we found one that was reasonably priced and it took the stress of cueing up music/having someone manage the Playlist. Plus the cost of our dj was only a little more expensive than renting a sound system.
    I truly wanted to do it all myself to save money but the more research I did on it, I found a lot of Brides that said they spent their wedding worrying about the music or having technical issues and I just didn't want to deal with that because the music is one of the most important things for me. Another thing some people mentioned was that having a dj means they can read the crowd and choose songs according to the vibe. Like when to play a slow song, or when to play a more up beat song, etc.
    I'd say do price comparisons of dj vs. Sound system rentals and look on forums and see what people have to say about djs vs. Playlist weddings.
    Good luck with your planning, it's honestly so tough staying on budget ughh.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the input, Sasha!

My situation is a bit of the opposite of yours. As most of our guests at the shit down, have some coffee and chit chat type, music really isn't much of a priority for me. My major concern is having music for the ceremony and first dances and ensuring it is played at the right time. The rest of the time, I am expecting mostly background music. Based on my current cost analysis, I still can't seem to justify the cost just to ensure things are timed properly, especially when some DJ's are adding the additional ceremony charge.

Smiley amazing

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey Ashley!
    My fiancé and I are the same. We have a small budget as well so we were planning on doing just a spotify or iTunes playlist for the ceremony and reception but we just ended up going with a dj instead since we found one that was reasonably priced and it took the stress of cueing up music/having someone manage the Playlist. Plus the cost of our dj was only a little more expensive than renting a sound system.
    I truly wanted to do it all myself to save money but the more research I did on it, I found a lot of Brides that said they spent their wedding worrying about the music or having technical issues and I just didn't want to deal with that because the music is one of the most important things for me. Another thing some people mentioned was that having a dj means they can read the crowd and choose songs according to the vibe. Like when to play a slow song, or when to play a more up beat song, etc.
    I'd say do price comparisons of dj vs. Sound system rentals and look on forums and see what people have to say about djs vs. Playlist weddings.
    Good luck with your planning, it's honestly so tough staying on budget ughh.
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have different venues... I asked my BIL to play during the ceremony but I think we will rent the churches sound system and create a playlist... Since it is outside his timeframe, our DJ agreed to make a playlist, set up early and have soft music in the background during cocktail hour and supper for a flat rate... I find it outrageous that some are charging you additional fees for time you are already paying for.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics