Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Liberty
Featured May 2022 Alberta

Ceremony location frustration

Liberty, on April 12, 2021 at 17:49 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 12
I have been emailing with the town to book a park for our ceremony location. They are taking between 2-3 weeks to get back to emails. My fiance has tried to call twice and both times his calls were not returned. The park is literally the perfect location! Our ceremony would be in front of a river and only a 2 min drive from the reception! I'm not sure if I'm overthinking the lack of response from them or if I should look at a different park. There is another park we like (different city) and that would only be a 10-15 minute drive from the reception. There's no river but there are tons of beautiful trees!
Our wedding isn't until May 2022 but I don't know what to do!

12 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on April 18, 2021 at 10:59
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    They may be backed or not returning calls/sending out emails if they are closed. wait for some time to get a reply from them and see when they would be resuming back to business. Check about availability of the park space being for your date.
  • Amanda
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Is it a common place for weddings?

We got married in a local conservation area and it took a month or so to get the ball rolling and have someone reply to us and then a couple weeks after that before we could nail down a date to meet with them. Is there a park office you could go speak to someone in person?
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think if it's your dream location keep trying. As others have said there's a good chance that city staff are working from home or are still dealing with backlogs from all the ups and downs of the past year.

Keep contacting them, if you get a person who answers and is able to help make sure you get their direct contact information (email, their phone line) and if it works out be sure to send them a thank you! We used a local privately owned park, and once I figured out who I needed to speak with she was amazingly helpful but it did take a few calls and emails to get to her.
  • Kara
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Hanks response on this one. Here in Hamilton, a lot of places aren’t taking bookings due to the unpredictability of the situation. Also, most city employees are working from home or not classified as “essential” during this time period. Responses will be much longer than usual. If it’s your dream, stick it out and keep following up. Persistence is key!
  • Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My fiance has called twice (in the afternoon) and the girl wasn't in the office so he had to leave a message which were never returned. Im trying soo hard to be patient but im starting to get worried our 2nd choice will get booked as its the most popular park for weddings!
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    City correspondence is next to impossible to deal with at the best of times, and covid is definitely making it worse. It could be possible they’re dragging it out on purpose, but more than likely, it isn’t a high priority for them and they’re taking their time. If it’s your dream spot, I’d say stick it out because you have time. I’d resort to the phone if they’re giving you the runaround, but you’ll probably have to take an afternoon and call in. You’ll also have to ask to speak to a person since voicemails often don’t get answered. I had to deal with the city for licensing and it took me a while to get a person with an answer. Good luck!
  • Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I just had to fill out an application form and email it back
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You said they responded after 2-3 weeks before. What did they say then?

• Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Even if that was the case, that wouldn't apply for a wedding next year and as said a member on the board for the town has said they should still be responding and making arrangements for bookings as needed.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

In Ontario (and Toronto in particular), we're allowed outdoor ceremonies but we cannot book a park or other public space for it. It's to discourage events, even if it's technically allowed. If we're having any type of gathering, they want it at a staffed facility where it can be controlled. Maybe that's the case with that town?

• Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    A coworker of mine knows someone on the board for the town and he said they should still be responding and making arrangements right now. In Alberta we are only allowed 10 person ceremonies outdoors so public parks are a popular option for most who are going ahead with getting married.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In Toronto, they're not entertaining any type of public space booking so in your case, maybe they're just ignoring any event booking type inquiries due to the pandemic? I know your wedding is next year but when they see the email subject being about an event booking, it's probably a non-priority for them. Or they reallocated staff to other departments that need more help since event bookings are non-existent/not allowed and therefore slower to get back to you.

If you're trying to get a permit for a public space, I'm afraid you'll just have to wait it out.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics