Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nina
Newbie November 2021 Ontario

Ceremony/cocktail hour

Nina, on June 10, 2020 at 16:55 Posted in Ontario 0 12
Anyone know of any venues in Ontario, around Hamilton or Niagara that offer an intimate ceremony/ cocktail hour with finger foods rather than a sit down dinner?...

12 Comments

Latest activity by Hank, on July 7, 2020 at 16:43
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Right on! Glad everything worked out Smiley smile

• Nina
    Nina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the great idea!!
    We are going with the diplomat in Hamilton!
  • Nina
    Nina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We did!! The diplomat in Hamilton is amazing and what we decided on!! 🥰
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No problem. Sorry to hear about your mom. I hope you find a space that works with your vision. Small weddings are underrated.

The thing with a restaurant, especially in a popular destination on a Saturday and at your numbers, is that you might have to buy out the place for a specific amount of time and spend a minimum on food and bar. It might not end up being cheaper. And it's much harder to flip the space at a restaurant to do the ceremony and reception.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Restaurants are a better choice than venues based on their prices even for the amount of people considered and cocktail reception for what you would paying for a full meal in a restaurant.

The amount of guests may take up the capacity of the restaurant I know some restaurants do private events as they would close down for an evening to cater to you. Inquire to compare pricing to budget paying for everyone or guests pay for their meals if you choose that direction.

• Nina
    Nina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!!!
    That’s great info!

Thinking 50-60, going to check out restaurants as well.My mom passed away so I’m just feeling a very intimate ceremony with an open bar and apps that’s it! No dances, no speeches, no gifts! Just a fun time mingling with loved ones!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What venues have you contacted so far? Have you tried hotels? Not sure what size your party is but most of them have smaller meeting rooms that aren't typically used for weddings. You should try and inquire (tip: keep the word "wedding" out of the initial conversation and see how it goes - just call it an event.)

Sheraton on the Falls: The Fallsview Studio B holds 40 theatre style, 60 standing

Marriott on the Falls: Ontario Room holds 30 theatre style, 50 standing

Double Tree Fallsview: Library holds 50 theatre or standing reception style

Crowne Plaza Niagara Falls: Victoria Room holds 65 theatre style, 60 standing

Niagara Falls Marriott: Niagara Room holds 60 theatre or standing reception

Hilton Niagara Falls: the Great Lakes rooms host 55 in theatre, 100 standing

Four Points by Sheraton Niagara: Private Dining Room holds 50 theatre, 40 standing

I would think there is little demand for these small spaces from those typically looking for weddings and even if the hotel already has a typical wedding going on the same date as yours, it wouldn't affect you much unless their lobbies are shared. And the minimum spend should be much lower than a typical ballroom wedding.

Hope this helps!

• Tay
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Tay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sorry I meant to say they may accomodate it. But definitely not just a weekday thing, as I was considering it for my weekend wedding. Hopefully you find somewhere 😊
  • Nina
    Nina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks I’ll look into it!
  • Nina
    Nina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks appreciate it! Everyone is telling me only a weekday, that during the weekend it’s $ per plate and min person requirement.
  • Tay
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Tay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Some venues may not directly state it but if you ask them they will accommodate it. I know a few venues that I looked into but they're not in Hamilton/ Niagara. When you say intimate ceremony, how many people are you considering?
  • Daniela
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Lundy manor wine cellars in Niagara Falls is great! I highly recommend it. Great service and gorgeous spot.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics