Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jackie
Beginner July 2022 Alberta

Ceremony advice

Jackie, on October 30, 2020 at 10:19 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 15
Looking for advice as I’m getting mixed opinions from family and friends. I will be having a backyard ceremony at my dads house. The ceremony itself will be quite short (15-20 minutes) the yard is very large but it is sloped horizontally. I’m questioning weather we rent chairs or just have a standing ceremony. I don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on chairs if they won’t sit right due to the sloped yard. My question is... has anyone ever been to a standing ceremony? And was it awful without having a chair to sit on?
Thanks!

15 Comments

Latest activity by Brooklyn, on December 7, 2020 at 16:03
  • Brooklyn
    Curious February 2021 Ontario
    Brooklyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been to a standing wedding. You need to make sure there is a good slope and the bridal party needs to be at the bottom. That way the people in the back can look over the others.

• Taryn
    Newbie October 2023 British Columbia
    Taryn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What about benches? More cost effective and can accommodate multiple people?

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Rent chairs if you feel you want to have your guests seated especially with the elderly and family seated upfront. Opinions will always fly from everyone on how they see fit and cost wise though the final word is yours to make as you know best.

Alternative is to let your guests know you may have a standing ceremony and the seats are for the elder guest and parents with children to be limited.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh now that you mention this the same thing happened at my brothers wedding. We were told to rise and never told to sit and it was difficult to see even though I was very close to the front.
    In a yard setting you should be able to make standing work because people can form more of a line rather than be one behind another. You can also take advantage of a slope and be at the bottom so everyone can see or make a little stage for the ceremony to take place on.
  • Trish
    Newbie September 2021 Ontario
    Trish ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been to one wedding where we stood the whole time - it was in a church, the pastor had everyone rise, and then never told the congregation to sit back down. We couldn't see anything at all, so it was fairly disappointing in that regard - we may as well have not even been there.

That said, if you have a small number of guests and there's room for them to spread out so that everyone can see what's happening, and your guests are all physically able to stand for 15-20 minutes, you should be fine. I'd maybe recommend mentioning it somewhere though so guests know what to expect in advance - it would be annoying to show up in heels only to spend 20 minutes sinking into the lawn.

• Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do you have any older people coming?
    If you do, consider at least having chairs for them ? It should be easy for people who are younger as long as it’s not like a crazy long ceremony but the elderly will need to sit
  • Alexandra
    Frequent user February 2022 Quebec
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My cousin’s ceremony was standing and it was totally fine. I do agree that you should consider chairs for older or disabled guests though. I would also say maybe just have designated standing spots that groomsmen or ushers can point to so it looks good for photo purposes!
  • R
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Rent chairs for Grandparents, parents and anyone with a disability. Everyone else can stand for 15-20mins.
  • R
    Newbie August 2021 Ontario
    Reanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Smiley smile Depending on your theme and vibe, maybe consider some cute blankets/cushions for your guests to sit on!

• Jackie
    Beginner July 2022 Alberta
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was thinking about benches actually! VS chairs. I’m having a hard time finding a vendor that rents them though! And enough to accommodate 150-175 people
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a standing ceremony! It was *very* short, basically just the legal bits and our vows so about 8-12 minutes.

We had no grandparents there. The oldest guest was my 60 year old dad, and there was no issue with asking everyone to stand for a few minutes. If we had grandmothers I would have at least had a front row of chairs for them. I had been to another standing ceremony and they had a row or two of chairs.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The only thing about going without chairs is guests not getting proper view of the ceremony itself. Even if you have a tall person sitting up front, the person at the back won't have their view blocked because the two of you are standing. And without chairs, your audience might appear lopsided because without any arrangement for guests to be neatly placed in the audience, they might just stand wherever.

• Arexy
    Devoted October 2020 Ontario
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Chairs are more formal, however if your vibe is casual then go for it. Make sure you have chairs for elders
  • Kimberly
    Curious July 2021 Alberta
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    How many guests are you having? And how many people do you think couldn’t stand for long? I was at a standing wedding years ago (my dads second wedding) and they were up on the balcony, and then had two rows of chairs and then the rest of us just stood behind the chairs. Depending how the slope is you could always opt for a few benches in the front for people that can’t stand?
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was at a standing ceremony a couple of years ago. It was totally fine. They had a few chairs for those who couldn't stand the whole time. That being said, it was a pretty casual wedding and a relatively short ceremony. If you're planning on doing something 20+ minutes long you might want to get chairs for your guests or they'll start getting uncomfortable.

My ceremony this year will also be standing, but it should be less than 10 minutes and it's just our immediate families.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics