Should we give a gift to our officiant

9 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on September 18, 2020 at 10:45
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our Officiant was given the payment along with a Thank You card as an appreciation of a personal message.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our officiant was built into our contract with our venue so we’re not giving a gift. Probably just a nice thank you card
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're just paying our officiant the rate they set and that's it.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it depends if you know the person or not. My fiance and I aren't since he's not a friend or family member. Just an officiant we had chosen

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are. Our officiant is one of my coworkers and she has refused to be paid. I plan to give her a bottle of wine and a gift card to a local restaurant so she and her new husband can have a date night out!

I think of you're paying them then a thank you card and potentially a small gift is appreciated bit not always needed. If they are a stranger I would think the payment and thank you is enough.
  • Clauds
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Clauds ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't believe it is mandatory to tip. In our case, we really enjoyed working with the officiant and he did a great job with our mini ceremony so we gave him a tip and left a generous review on the Wedding Wire site.

If you are happy with their service then I think a thank you card with a cash tip would be appreciated by your officiant Smiley smile

• Vanessa
    Devoted December 2021 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it would depend on your situation; do you know them well or not at all.

We are having a non religious ceremony and our venue is providing our officiant so we don't know them and will not be giving them a gift. It isn't customary to give them a gift but perhaps a thank you card is a good alternative.

• Kim
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married in our church and are bringing in two flower arrangements for the altar. One will be given to our officiant and the other to our pianist. 😊
  • Kaitlyn
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Kaitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be, but our officiant is also my uncle so I feel like we really want to find a way to make him feel special and let him know how much we appreciate him officiating our wedding.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics