Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Flora
Frequent user September 2021 British Columbia

Celebrating without your parents

Flora, on May 20, 2019 at 15:16 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 20
My mom and dad are both passed away and i am thinking of ways to have them be a part of the ceremony in spirit. I have asked my kids to give me away but as for the having my parents remembered on my big day is something i don't want to leave out. Any suggestions.
I know my wedding is still a ways off but I am a a person who likes to have everything thought of and planned ahead.

20 Comments

Latest activity by Flora, on July 8, 2019 at 13:05
  • Flora
    Flora ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Im going to have a storm lamp with this saying and lightings in it with pictures of them at their wedding and a reserve a chair for them.

Celebrating without your parents 1
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I saw a beautiful sign that said something like "we have loved ones in heaven there for we have a peice of heaven at our wedding". my sister also had a bunch of pictures of people who had passed or couldnt be there and a sign that said "loved ones we wish could be here with us today"

• Flora
    Flora ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I LOVE this idea. Thanks so much for sharing it.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Of course, I also have another idea that I know isn't for everybody - but I know that if I didn't have my parents or if my FH didn't have his I would see about photo shopping them in kind of like this picture:

Celebrating without your parents 2

The story behind this picture was that the couple getting married had a son who had passed from leukemia but still wanted him in some of the pictures as to have him there with them.

Again - I know not everybody would be into this, but thought I would put it out there as I would do something like that if I didn't have my parents there (even if the picture was for my eyes only).

• Flora
    Flora ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love all the ideas everyones thought of to celebrate their late loved ones. Its been 11 years since my mom and 9 since my dad passed. I miss them every day still but especially for the special things. I appreciate your condolences. Thanks for your idea. I am definitely going to have pictures up. I had a Beautiful one of their wedding day i think would be perfect
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Although both me and my FH have both of our parents still around - neither of us have our grandfathers and I only have one of my grandmothers. We decided to have a memorial table with pictures of all of those who would be watching from above and I plan on having my family members pictures on a keychain around the bouquet Smiley smile

Sorry for your loss

• Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Flora.
  • Flora
    Flora ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My condolences. Two years is still so fresh. Very beautiful ideas thanks. I hope you have an amazing day and know she will be there smiling and dancing with you
  • Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am sorry for your losses. I lost my mom suddenly and unexpectedly over two years and it’s been hard planning a wedding without her. We were very close.

I included my late mother on the wedding invitation. It went something like,
    Mr. Amie’s dad requests the honour over your presence at the marriage of his daughter,
    Miss Amie Rae Lastname, daughter of the late Mrs. Amie’s mom and Mr. Amie’s dad

It was a nice way to mention her. I’ll also be having a memorial table. She will be mentioned in the program at the church also.

Im going to have a part of her wedding dress sewn into mine. It will be the shape of a heart, on the inside of my dress, over my heart. I’m also having her wedding dress made into a dress I can wear to the rehearsal dinner.

hope this helps!
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was reading a story about how a bride had a shirt from her dad and she cut a piece of the material and wrapped that around her bouquet. I also read about how someone had her mom's wedding band safety pinned to the inside of her dress.

There are so many wonderful ways to honour people at the ceremony. My FH and I are going to have pictures of our grandpas in the window behind us during the reception

• Flora
    Flora ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Whomever you decide will be honored im sure of it.
  • Kirsten
    Frequent user October 2025 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There is nothing wrong with planning far ahead, I am the same way. Safes some stress to not do it all last minute. You could put a small photo with your bouquet. A table with there photos or chairs set for them (spirit). Dedicate a song to them. There are so many ideas out there

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, good luck and let us know what ideas you end up going with.

I don’t have a brother or grandpa.. so I’m really limited lol it’s between my kids, two uncles who have been like fathers to me and my future father in law. I’ll probably decide closer to.
  • K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My dad passed away as well so I made a picture charm to attach to my bouquet... it's just small (approx 1"). That way hes still sort of walking me down the aisle and will be a part of our day. Pic attached of what I mean.
    We are also doing a donation in lieu of favours in honour of him... just a bit of different idea if there was a charity that meant a lot to your parents.

Celebrating without your parents 3
  • Flora
    Flora ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's very cute. My kids will be 15 and 16 for our wedding and my FH has been in their lives since they were 4 and 5. So i think it would be super fitting.
    My sister had our brother give her away amd danced with our grabpa. Couple of ideas abt way. Good luck. I want to know what you decide on.
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m in a similar situation. My dad passed away 9 years ago. I found this on Pinterest and will definitely do it and include a photo of him. I don’t know who will walk my down the aisle yet either.. we have two boys too so I don’t if I will have one or both of them do it. They will be 2 and 3.5 though. I don’t know what to do about the father daughter dance either. Again I’d love to do it with my kids, something cute yet meaningful but give. Their age I don’t know that they’ll cooperate

Celebrating without your parents 4
  • Flora
    Flora ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I really like that also. I was thinking of having our first dance then a dance to my mom and dads song also. Its super hard iam very excited but i will miss them so much on that day
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You can also reserve seats in memory for them, we plan to do that for my fiancés grandparents.
    Glad I could help!
  • Flora
    Flora ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ooh I love that Idea!!!!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    During our ceremony our officiant does a remembrance.
    She mentions how we want to honour those not with us anymore and then we have a moment of silence. Maybe you can work something like that into your ceremony, you could even have it specific to your parents and not just to those in general.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics