Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kacy
VIP February 2019 Quebec

Calling everyone hosting or who have attended a cocktail-style reception!

Kacy, on February 25, 2017 at 19:50 Posted in Wedding reception 0 10

Hello everyone!

We are still exploring all of our options for our wedding, including a cocktail-style reception; one because we hope it might reduce our catering costs and also make the evening more dynamic, increase the number of people on the dancefloor, etc. since they won't be waiting for food to be served.

I have been researching on the pros and cons, how to go about it, how many appetizers to serve to substitute a meal, etc. Does anyone out there have advice, or experience in this? For instance, having hosted this type of reception, planning to do so, or having attended a wedding with this style of food service, is there anything you would suggest to do or not to do? Did or are you making your own appetizers, for how many guests?

Thank you all in advance!!!

https://apracticalwedding.com/cocktail-wedding-reception/

https://apracticalwedding.com/cocktail-reception-tips/

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-i-calculated-the-quantity-of-food-needed-to-feed-200-people-at-a-diy-wedding-reception-gatherings-from-the-kitchn-204905

http://morefrommom.com/?p=2280

http://calculate-this.com/how-many-appetizers-serve-calculator

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/appetizer.html

10 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on February 26, 2017 at 06:30
  • Stephanie
    Devoted June 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Don't have anything booked yet, but same idea for us as well, party with wedding thrown in lol. I have no desire to sit through "courses" or even buffet style. I want to be able to visit everyone, drop my butt in a seat for a bit and chat with my guests, and then off to another or the dance floor!!!! Thanks for posting this as I am also gathering info/ideas on this kind of reception.We had one place in mind, but we have decided on the place we reconnected, which is a pool hall/restaurant with event rooms to rent above those 2.I've also been to a couple of my work Christmas parties there (which were hors d’oeuvres only), so I'm familiar with their menu!!!
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Veeerrryyy helpful!! Makes it easier to show the FH the types of menu/food options that we can serve and that it can be tasty and tasteful! Thank you Smiley smile xo

• Vanessa
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm doing a 7 pm ceremony and reception for 100 people - we're making it pretty clear that people will want dinner, even if it's a light dinner, before the wedding.

We're doing antipasto (meat, cheese, olives, figs, fruit, bread, crackers, pickles, preserves, etc.) as well as we're getting a local Mediterranean restaurant to do a "take out" catering (meaning they'll prep it and I'll pick it up around 11 and take it to the venue) for hummus, baba ghanouge, bruschetta (toast on the side), mini falafels (bite size - tahini dressing on the side so people can top the falafel themselves), tzatziki, forbidden feta dip, quinoa salad, and pita for $1000.

We're also doing a dessert table and late night nacho bar. I expect we will spend about $2000 on catering in total. I hope that gives you some ideas! Our venue is doing open bar for us at a flat rate per person and that includes all tableware except for plates and forks so I'll rent those. The open bar also includes coffee and tea which is nice.

• Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow, that sounds super awesome!!! Hahaha yeessss, we have very much the same style, it would seem!!! Smiley laugh

• L
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So we pretty much have the same wedding vibe goals! Awesome! 😊 and old brewery sounds awesome and so my sort of thing!!
    Our restaurant is in the heart of an old brick yard that has been reclaimed for urban gardening and community events like farmers markets etc. And the owner is this super hippy dippy farm to table type chef.
    And we are getting married on the lawn of a historical lumber mill haha
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes, exactly!!! I am personally not going for the formal wedding style, more the 'let's get together, eat, drink and dance!" just like you!! Smiley smile I don't think I will go with linens either, the venue is an Old Brewery and they have wooden tables and chairs; the whole setting has a more rustic and low-key feel, and I am definitely okay with that! I attended a wedding where the couple provided each guest with a personalized stemless wine glass that was to serve as the guests' glass for the night, I also saw this as a suggestion on some sites.

• L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it feels more like a party atmosphere than FORMAL WEDDING, which is so not my vibe Smiley smile I just want people to be full and drunk and dance with me!
    Not a clue about dish ware yet haha but I imagine just the regular stuff the restaurant has. Was toying with the idea of having customized wine glasses as a favour but I think that may be too complicated. I know personally I may want a glass of wine with my food first but later I'll want beer or bar rails and I wouldn't know what to do with my wine glass!
    I also don't think I'm bothering with linens either because I'm pretty much okay with the wooden tables they use at the restaurant as well. Also fits in with the less formal vibe I'm going for.

• Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes, I agree, I much prefer the vibe! Thank you for letting me know what you are planning on doing, very helpful! If we do go for this type of reception, we have a venue in mind, that comes with enough chairs and tables for 110 people, which is the total capacity of the hall, so we would make sure to have enough seating/tables for about 75% as you said. They are typical chairs and tables though (not high tables or stools or anything). That is a good tip to offer hors-d'oeuvres that wouldn't require forks and knives... that could effectively remove the need of cutlery! What are you doing for dish and glassware?

• L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh also I've found this option hasn't reduced our catering costs at all. Since we are having a dinner time reception (7pm) we still have to feed everyone adequately. I just prefer the vibe and food type, plus my reception venue would be too small for a sit down dinner for 75.
  • L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey! We are doing a cocktail style reception, so no assigned seating and not 100% seating capacity, in the hopes to encourage movement and mingling. Be sure to have seating for at least 75% of your guests at any given time though and be sure to serve food that does not require a knife and fork so guests can double fist (drink in one hand, food in the other!). We are having 75 guests, so there will be at least 50 spots to sit, ranging from bar stools to picnic benches on the patio. If you have elderly or pregnant guests make sure they get reserved seating.
    We are doing app stations and passed hor d'oeuvres as well as a charcuterie to start. Dessert will be cupcakes and midnight snack is serbian finger foods .
    We are limiting speeches to simple toasts and trying to encourage dancing early on so people don't stand around awkwardly for too long. Probably going to do some interactive games as well.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics