Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gift
Frequent user October 2021 Alberta

Cake tasting? Before or After a Deposit is made?

Gift, on July 24, 2021 at 11:11 Posted in Wedding reception 0 13
Hello Beautiful People,

When did you schedule a cake tasting/ordered a tasting box? Before a deposit was made or after? Obviously, I’d rather taste the cake before placing an order but some of these vendors have a specific time when they offer variety of flavours for cake tasting. For example, a cake vendor I’m considering is offering cake tasting a month to my wedding. As deposits are non-refundable, it’s a gamble to me. What are your thoughts?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Megan, on July 26, 2021 at 14:27
  • Megan
    Frequent user July 2023 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's fair! If reviews are good and you're not crazy picky makes sense, especially if cake wasn't all that important to you anyways.

• Gift
    Gift ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lol true. I’d prefer tasting prior to making a deposit too but might just risk it because the cake vendor is a last minute addition anyway. We didn’t want one before but as things opened up, we opted for it. Haha.
  • Gift
    Gift ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Right! Thank you Vinod 🙏🏻
  • Gift
    Gift ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh nice. I’m confident in her cake because the reviews are amazing! Might just take the risk. We are going for basic flavours anyway so hopefully that won’t be screwed up 😊
  • Gift
    Gift ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Hank. I haven’t tried their cake before that’s why I’m skeptical. Although, the reviews are phenomenal. Might take the risk Smiley smile
  • Gift
    Gift ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you. I’m actually going for basic flavours like vanilla and red velvet but sadly it can be screwed up as basic as it is. Haha! But I I’d just go with my instinct. Thanks Christiana.
  • Gift
    Gift ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks a lot Samantha. I will order something similar to get a feel of the quality of their cake 😊
  • Megan
    Frequent user July 2023 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hmm, that's a tough one! I think I would need to try the cake prior personally. Whether that be in the form of a tasting or purchasing cupcakes or something if they offer that. We will be getting a vegan cake and unfortunately a lot of bakeries just aren't very good at making them lol.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Bakers do ask for a deposit before to book your date and cake tasting happens months before the date to know what flavour and cake combination you like for them to make. A local eatery providing cakes didn't ask for a deposit as she took care of me as family and had some of the custards tasted for sampling given the baker was making a Italian sponge cake. The payment was made the week of the wedding as the result was just phenomenal. Very satisfied. Its best to check with the bakery on their policy of payments.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I made our deposit without doing a tasting. Since we're getting married in a difference province, tasting isn't an option for us. We're crossing our fingers for the best but since we've picked one of the top bakeries in the city, we're confident we'll have a great cake!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We opted to use regular bakery for our cake rather than a specialty wedding cake baker. This way, their wedding cake flavours are based on the selection they normally sell so we just picked up a few slices from different bakeries and decided which one to go with based on how they tasted. You get to try things without any major financial commitment and there are no surprises on the final product.

How long of advance notice does your baker require? If they need less than a month, you can opt to pay the deposit after the tasting but you might risk them not being available.

If you have to give a deposit beforehand, have you at least tried their other cakes before? Did you enjoy it? If so, you can at least settle for a generic flavour if the funky ones at the tasting don't work out.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it depends on how important the cake is to you. If you're not a big cake person and you're just going with something basic like vanilla or chocolate I think you can skip the tasting altogether - although it's fun to do haha. But if the cake is something that's really important to you I would go with another vendor that will offer a tasting further in advance so you know what you're paying for before you pay your deposit.

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'd be a little worried about not getting to do a cake tasting only a month before the wedding. If you end up not liking what they offer then that doesn't leave you much time to find one you do like. For us, we did ours about 4 months out and only after the tasting did we put a deposit down. Depending on how far away your wedding date is, maybe in the meantime find and schedule some other tastings to get a better idea on variety and what's out there? But if you feel confident enough in the vendor you're currently looking at then I'd just go for it, or maybe order something similar from them to what you think you'd like in cupcake form to get a better idea what you'll be getting from them quality wise?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics