Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Devoted September 2019 Quebec

Buffet or sit down

Stephanie, on March 16, 2017 at 19:24 Posted in Wedding reception 0 10
Hey ladies and gents, I was going over my budget recently and rethinking my wedding. We have an idea where we might be going which would need a caterer. I've been thinking against buffet style however is the price really that different? I would like to know if it's worth having a buffet style for 45-50 person wedding or should I just do a sit down like I wanted but have to pay maybe more. I hate lines but my pocket has a say in my wedding haha. I am very unfimilar with weddings since the last one I went was at a mansion and I was 4! Thanks for the help!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 10, 2018 at 23:51
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had sit down for ours and part of the package.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Here in at the vendor we are holding our reception at it's literally only a dollar or so difference between the buffet and sit down. I hate buffet style weddings so we are going with sit down. It's classier in my opinion.

• April
    Devoted July 2018 Nova Scotia
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We r going with a buffett -- much easier and simplier -- i will test my theory when my sin graduates in june because same amount ppl coming for graduation will probably be invited to wedding - so nervous over both
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having a buffet and I agree with what Lesley said. It allows your guests to pick what they want and also allows you more flexibility when choosing your menu for guests that have dietary restrictions. I have never found it to be a problem as a guest to have a buffet as dinner at a wedding. You get to chat with people while in line/serving yourself which is kind of fun and makes it feel less like wait. I would also say go with what your budget allows.

• Stephanie
    Devoted September 2019 Quebec
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is great feedback!! Thanks everyone! I will contact the caterers and see! At least there isn't anything negative! Smiley smile
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Agree with everything said here!
    Sometimes plated can take a while, especially if there are pauses for dancing/speeches/digesting! The price difference has varied between venue/caterer from what I've seen. I also don't think that you will have a big issue with lines for that amount of people. Forgot to tell you that I spoke with a resto-caterer, they offer family-style from 35$ pp Smiley smile (Lordia)
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For 50 people, I wouldn't worry about lines, it won't take long. At the venue I chose, buffet was a lot less. I would look at your venue options and look at both buffet and plates and decide from there.
    For my particular crowd, I knew buffet would be the way to go because that way everyone can pick what they want. But it's your day and you can choose what you want to do Smiley smile
    I'd also see if family style is an option. It's sometimes less than plated, no one has to get up and your guests can still pin what they want.
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having 40 guests and are doing a plated dinner. I thought buffet would be cheaper also but as it turns out the buffet was more expensive.
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Buffet may not be cheaper... When we were pricing out, all the quotes for buffet were higher because of extra food... People eat more and u don't want to run out
  • Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been to a few weddings with more than 50 ppl (80-100) that had buffets and the lines/waiting wasn't a big deal to me as a guest. Especially if you have a cocktail hour with food so people aren't starving. The MC called us up in smallish groups so we weren't all in line at the same time. It's definitely not something that I remember as being a negative experience - our table was chatting and having a good time so it didn't bother us to wait. I'm more likely to remember how good the food was vs. how it was served.☺

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics