Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Buffet or plated?

Joey, on July 3, 2018 at 08:05 Posted in Wedding reception 0 19

What serving style have you chosen for your wedding reception? Which is your fav when you're a guest?

Do you love a perfect plate? Buffet or plated? 1 Or are you all about the buffet? Buffet or plated? 2

19 Comments

Latest activity by Phaidra, on July 9, 2018 at 15:30
  • Phaidra
    Frequent user October 2019 Alberta
    Phaidra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love Family style, but we opted for Buffet just with our seating (long tables).

• Amber
    Devoted September 2018 Alberta
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We chose to do a plated. I had never been to a plated wedding dinner before this year, it was always a buffet and I much perfered the plated meal experience.

• Brenda
    Beginner September 2018 Ontario
    Brenda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For a wedding I do prefer plated service. I dont mind buffet meals but dont love lining up at weddings as many people are usually so hungry and anxious to get food that it isnt a great experience.
  • Sarah
    Frequent user July 2020 Nova Scotia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Were doing a mix of both! Served meal, and buffet desserts to cater to everyone's likes and dislikes!
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Buffet. I’ve actually never been to a plated or family style dinner they’re not as common in my area.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think its snobby at all. my head was in the same space as no buffet.
    the night thing about a lot of venues in Windsor is they do family style. so they bring platters of food to each table. so you can eat as much or as little as you like. without sacrificing being formal.
    and when they do it this way. the price saves compared to plated. but isn't much more expensive than buffet.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing neither. In my city Family Style is how a lot of venues do it. So they bring platters of food to the table. you eat as much or as little as you want. and usually they do an antipasto platter, salad, pasta, 1 or 2 meat choices, potato, veggie. Its pretty awesome.
    I personally do not like buffets at weddings. My thought is that if you are getting that dressed up, I don't want to serve myself/stand in line.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a buffet as being from mixed backgrounds it's the easiest way to cater to everyone! And everyone can try different things if they want!
    I have honestly been to too many weddings where the dinner was seated and honestly.... not the greatest...
    I have been to a few buffet weddings too and have always enjoyed them so much more!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm AAAAALL about the buffet. Don't judge me for my mountain of mashed potatoes, or digging around those big onions in the sauce I don't want... haha.

Just in my immediate family, we have my mom who eats like a bird, and my stepdad and fiance that eat like grizzly bears going into hibernation... The buffet makes sure people get what they want, nothing they don't, the food is hotter, and they can portion how they like.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We chose buffet for our wedding and I would prefer buffet as a guest. Not everyone eats the same amount so it's nice to be able to get as much or as little as you'd like.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know it sounds snobby, but I refused to consider Buffet.

We wanted a fine dining, vintage charm feel which to me meant plated. I'm not a fan of buffets at all Smiley sad

The nice thing is, because our venue is a fine dining restaurant normally, while we do have a limited menu (ie. 2 salads, 4 entrees, 2 dessert choices), guests do get to order the day of when they sit down!

They also will accommodate any allergies. For example, my girlfriend has colitis, is gluten intolerant and vegan.. so they are making her a special gluten free pasta dish for the night.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're going plated. Thought about buffet but would be nice to have the food brought to you!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing a buffet, which was more budget friendly!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We chose to have plated and I prefer plated too!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Buffet! That way people can take more of one thing and less of another if they aren't feeling like one of the options. Plus less likely to have leftovers on every plate.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were fortunate to have plated service with the venue.
  • Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would have loved a cocktail dinner or a buffet, but it would have been too risky for some of my guests who have severe allergies, so we went with a plated dinner.

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I still can’t decide. But only 6 months to go so I guess I better make a decision.
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are going with buffet, then people can take what they like to eat and if there is more of something then people can go have seconds. With plated that food that people may not want to eat could go to waste.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics