Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katelyn
Newbie May 2025 Ontario

Budget Weddings in Ontario

Katelyn, on September 13, 2020 at 19:30 Posted in Ontario 0 20
Hi all!

I’m new here!! if there is already a discussion on this topic please let me know and I will revert there. My fiancé and I are looking to get married sometime between late spring to early fall 2022. I’ve been looking for ways to cut costs for our wedding and would really appreciate some help! Have been looking into some farm wedding venues and they can get very pricing (up to $10,000 for the venue itself with the ceremony and reception included). We are on a pretty tight budget and are looking for places that do not have catering costs that are high OR where they will let us choose our own caterer/ buffet/ food truck on site.
Thank you!

20 Comments

Latest activity by Laura, on December 27, 2022 at 20:02
  • Laura
    Newbie September 2024 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Can you also send me these? *****************@*****.***

Weddings are SO expensive!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, that's really tight. You'll need to make some compromises, like a more casual venue for the reception or cut the guest list. At least a March 2023 date wouldn't be in-demand so you can probably find some places that won't ask for a high minimum.

• P
    Newbie March 2023 Ontario
    Payal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I would say for venue, catering, photographer, tables, chairs, decorations
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Is this $10K the whole budget or just the venue/catering? If it's the whole budget, it's really tight. Even if you go really frugal, ceremony fees + wedding attire + officiant + rings + licenses will be over $1000. And that's leaving out other vendors like a photographer.

• P
    Payal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s fair. About 90-100
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Prices that are two years old wouldn't be reflective of current rates, especially with inflation.

How many are you looking to host?

• P
    Payal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi, would you mind sending me these recommendations as I am also looking to keep my weddings in the 10-12k range and would love ideas!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just DM'd you some options based on places I've been to. Hope it'll help kick start some ideas for you.

• Katelyn
    Newbie May 2025 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hoping to have everything included about $6000
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahh, then you should have tons of options. What's your budget?

• Katelyn
    Newbie May 2025 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    He’s not very picky to be honest. We are open to having any kind of food at the wedding!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha, we were in the same boat as you. Her family alone is 100+ whereas mine is less than 20. I had to give up a few invites on my side so that she can have some friends.

Let me know what type of food you and your fiance likes and I can try to make some suggestions.

• Katelyn
    Newbie May 2025 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Will certainly check that out as I’m open to doing the wedding anywhere in Ontario at this point! Thank you!
  • Katelyn
    Newbie May 2025 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I know it’s crazy! We’re trying to minimize our guest list but my fiancé’s family is huge!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You'll find better bang for your buck if you go outside of downtown. Also restaurants not near the subway line tend to have more space (almost all places along Bloor or along Yonge are tiny).

Markham, Thornhill, Vaughan, and Mississauga have tons of big space but nice looking restaurants that often double as a banquet hall for parties. They're easy to drive to and will be cheaper than your Toronto options. You might be able to find some in Scarborough as well.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

100 people will be tough for outdoors if you're looking for cheap. Most city park permits for wedding ceremonies only allow up to 50. With 100 people, you'll likely have to rent a space, something like a golf course or outdoor resort, which is typically around $2000+ for just the ceremony.

• Katelyn
    Newbie May 2025 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds fantastic. I actually do want to get married outside so that is a great idea. Will look into it! Thanks!
  • Katelyn
    Newbie May 2025 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Unfortunately we will have about 100 people. I am interested in restaurants and will take a look into some bigger ones.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you’re willing to get married outside in a relatively public place, you won’t have to pay for a ceremony venue. That and you can do without vendors if you have talented friends/family who can help you DIY or offer their services.
    For example, the cheapest (but still really lovely) wedding I’ve been to was my aunts’. They got married in a big park (off to the side in the woodlands away from the usual crowds) by a friend who is a minister and I took the pictures. They didn’t hire any vendors and only paid for dinner at the restaurant which was for 10 people (full 3 course meal at a nice French fine dining establishment and drinks throughout the night) for $1600. Theirs was an elopement style, which was probably why they could do it for so cheap, but it worked well for them and was still one of the best weddings I’ve ever been to.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    How many people are you planning to have? If it's a low number like 50 or less, have you thought about restaurants? You can set a budget per person based on what you can afford and then pick a restaurant accordingly. There's usually no venue rental fee. Restaurant weddings are common and there are lots of nice ones across the GTA that are suitable for a wedding atmosphere at many price points. For the ceremony itself, you can do it at a civic centre.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics