Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Christine
Newbie June 2020 Ontario

Buck and Doe - Permit Process and Costs

Christine, on August 28, 2019 at 12:34 Posted in Before the wedding 1 4

If you think buck and does are tacky and tasteless - stop reading right here haha. They are completely normal and expected where I live and super fun for all.

We are planning on having a buck and doe where were bring in our own liquor.We would be able to sell drinks for cheaper than a venue would charge plus still make a profit.
Anyone who has done this have experience with which Special Events Permit you need? I at first assumed iit would be a private event permit because it is only being advertised to invited guests via a facebook page. However, if we are selling drinks ourselves and making money off of tickets and games, that seems to fit with more of a public event permit on the AGCO website.
I just want to make sure that we are covering all our bases. Event insurance would be necessary too I'm guessing.

Also.. some fun game ideas?

And how much money did you put into planning and executing your buck and doe?

4 Comments

Latest activity by Shyann, on July 19, 2022 at 13:49
  • S
    Newbie September 2023 Ontario
    Shyann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am just starting to plan my buck and doe (booking the venue in two weeks for march 2023) and I already feel in over my head! My finance and I are charging for drinks but I read under AGCO that for private events you are not allowed… Do we do a public event? Or charitable since it is to raise money for the wedding? Also, I know it may range from city/province but does anyone know what licence to get for games of chance?

For games we are thinking about:

Bra pong, pie in the face, goldfish insurance, toonie toss, hold the beer, balloon pop, etc.

prizes:

Baseball/hockey tickets, coffee/tea gift basket, selfcare basket, etc. looking for sales constantly for anything such as google homes and makeup brands.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have done the permit! it is a private as buck and does have rules saying its invited guests only - I had to read down a bit before figuring it all out. The person you put as responsible needs to be a sober person who is not drinking. Your names are still on permit but they are responsible for making sure it all goes correctly. As for insurance you 100% need to have this- if someone leaves the property and gets into accident even 24 hours after it the insurance covers you. It also comes into effect 4 hours prior to event as well. If you need help filling out application- message me and I can go threw every step with you.

Balloon pop was a giant hit- we should have blew up more balloons lol. Basicly you blow up balloons people buy them 2 dollars per and can buy as many as want and last person to not have it popped wins. Once your balloon is popped you have to get off the floor and cannot pop anyone elses.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Here in MB we have different permits so I can't help you there (we have a "social" permit that is for gambling and booze). Also can't help with games because we don't do that at wedding socials...

For how much we payed though: Guest count was roughly 300 in person although we sold support tickets as well.

Venue depends on day/ specialty weekend: ranges from $670 - $900 an additional hour to 2am was $200

Alcohol was $5,000ish

DJ was $500

Food was $500

Then most of the raffle items were donated so I'm not quite sure about cost but we payed about $500 in items (this included an apartment size freezer).

All in all we probably put about $7,500 but profited in the 5 digits so we made good money!

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My Jack and Jill is in 2.5 weeks!

You would apply for a private event permit since the event is only open to those you have invited and not just anyone. They will ask you when you apply for the permit if you will be selling alcohol or not, just tick off that you will be.

Fun games: Find the joker (tape a deck of cards to a bristol board. people pay to sign a card, whoever signs the joker wins a prize), Guess the combo (get a lock and lock a box with a prize in it and write out a bunch of lock combinations. People pay to pick a combo, whoever chose the correct combo wins the prize), Great Canadian Whack off (get a log of a piece of wood and people pay to drive a nail into the wood. Keep score of how many hits it takes, whoever takes the least hits wins a prize, ring toss, corn hole, Drinko (make a plink-o board where people can win drink tickets), Beer pong (just with empty cups though, just whoever gets the most points wins a prize).

We paid about $800 for our hall rental. our wedding party is donating the gift card prizes for the games. Food we're having our families make snacks. The alcohol we are buying this weekend so I still need to see how much that will cost.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics