Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Leanna
Curious September 2019 Alberta

Bridesmaid Drama

Leanna, on November 11, 2019 at 16:11 Posted in Just married 0 11
So we got married at the end of September! It was a beautiful perfect day and we just got our photos back. We are not big on social media, so only posted a few pictures of the day. My bridesmaid had asked me if I was posting anymore and I said no, we want to keep our memories private but still wanted the out of town guests to see some photos. She asked for printed copies to frame and I said sure!

The pictures I posted were almost all of my husband and myself, but also some getting ready photos and of the reception space. There was one photo of my bridesmaids and I getting ready - a candid wide black and white shot. Really nice.
20 minutes later this bridesmaid has posted this picture on instagram. No big deal right? I posted it myself already so it's fair game. Maybe if she captioned it with something nice about me or the wedding I wouldn't have cared. HOWEVER, she had cropped this photo so it's just her in it, with my face literally blurred out in the corner. The caption was some quote about being vulnerable in life but leaning into it anyway? It made no sense and I was livid.
I asked her to take it down and called her out on cropping and blurring my picture. She said "it's deleted, that's fine I dont need your pictures". I have known this girl since i was 13 - more than half my life. She not only disrespects my wishes, but doesn't even apologize after the fact and acts like shes pissed at me? I am so hurt and offended. What is it with people acting so selfish when it comes to weddings?! Has anyone else had bridesmaid drama and how do you handle it?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on November 22, 2019 at 16:20
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahh i see. yeah clearly she didnt care which is why she blurred you out. have you spoken to her since? maybe you should bring it up to her in person so she understands your side of how youre feeling?

• Leanna
    Curious September 2019 Alberta
    Leanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I know she posted it because she wanted a nice photo of herself and not to talk about my wedding, which was exactly my point. I do take it personally because she couldn't have the sense to realize cropping and photoshopping your close friends wedding photo so that the bride was invisible, was insensitive. Especially considering I had the previous discussion with her regarding posting wedding pictures on social media.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh man so sorry you feel like this but i think people are narcissistic with their social media and only want to post photos of themselves. i dont think she was posting the photo to talk about your wedding day i think she posted it for herself cuz she looks nice. everyones ig and fb are full of pretend photos of themselves with these stupid millennial lines about nothing lol i wouldnt take it too personally.

• Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It is always the one that you least expect to give you grief that ends up giving you grief. Why can't people just be kind and normal where weddings are concerned?
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry this happened to you, I'd also be livid - who the heck blurs the bride's face out?!

Weddings, for whatever reason, have the potential to bring out the worst in people, whether it's coming to terms with their own single-ness, or wanting the couple to cater to them.

You definitely did the right thing and confronting her about the WTFness of her post, but aside from that, there's not much you can do - you cannot control how other people react to situations. Let her be mad - it's clear that she wanted photos just because she probably looked her best in them so she can post to her own social media.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This bridesmaid seems truly resentful to herself as to other giving herself the full satisfaction of knowing her actions. The fact she was part of you wedding party and wanted a picture is nice, yet doesn't acknowledge you in the picture with a nice caption.

Its good you did what you did for the reason she is a self centered individual who cares for no one but herself. No one deserves to be friends with that kind of people and I had one of those too. She didn't end up being a friend to rely on or to talk to since she talked about her situations or relationships for hours speaking on the phone.

Another individual that my husband and I knew is no longer in our friendship because of his actions at our wedding. He was invited as a single person knowing there wasn't a plus 1 included. The day of the wedding, he decides to text one of the MOHs saying he's bringing his boyfriend and mother for dinner when they shouldn't be there in the first place. We literally paid for 2 meals unintended to have and the fact he approached me to ask where his mother can sit and my face is full of anger wanting to punch him hard while standing with the wedding party and husband ready to enter for reception.

Your not alone when it comes to matters such as these and don't go back to her if you don't trust her or feel she is not true as a friend.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I mean, I'm not sure if I would have been pissed at her for posting it - but in no way should she be the one that is upset! Like you said, she posted a picture that is already out there so whatever, but to blur you out??? What??? And believe me - captions nowadays are so confusing!! I've seen posts from girls my age (22) and they post the weirdest captions!! Like... it will be a butt shot of them with a "should be studying Smiley tongue" caption... or a picture of them on vacation with them "really finding themselves".... Hopefully she grows up and moves on!

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know right?!

Like if they had been the ones to get married before me and I acted how they're acting then they would think of it nothing less than inappropriate and childish, and rightly so! So what makes them think this is ok behaviour that will get them what they want? Ugh just frustrating.

I'm also having a small wedding like you, so a huge bridal party just seemed unnecessary and a bit silly. To make everyone happy I would've had to have had at least 6 bridesmaids on top of 6 groomsmen, and for a guest list of 60... That's 1/5 of the guests! So it just seemed like overkill.

That's a shame about your friend... But at least the rest of you made a point of talking about future nuptials together so hopefully you're not stuck in another similar situation. I know marriage is the beginning of a new family and all, but you should try keep ties to your friends too

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Why do weddings bring out the crazy in people?!?

I'm glad you avoided bridesmaid-zilla.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That is such a weird thing to do. Who crops the bride out of a wedding photo!

A few years ago my friends and I were part of a wedding party and as the day got closer we all wanted out for various reasons. I regret not speaking up a few months before, when it might still have been appropriate/less painful to do so. It was a very stressful winter/spring/summer that ended in the bride basically friend-breaking up with one of my best friends a month after the wedding. Now that bride has photos of a bridal party she barely speaks to.
    That's not the only reason I don't have a bridal party. All my friends were very open about how they wouldn't let our past wedding experience effect future nuptuals. But I couldn't pick a few select friends, and having a small wedding with a huge bridal party seemed silly!
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is actually one of the reasons why I decided not to have a bridal/wedding party in the first place. I would have had 3 at the most and just in passing I mentioned that one of my "bridesmaids" would be my longest friend, who happens to be a guy, and one of my girl friends flipped out because she, a woman, therefore wouldn't be in the party. I wasn't willing to deal with the drama but I also didn't want to lose a friend, so I just said forget it. I had been toying with the idea of no wedding party anyway, but that just sealed the deal. She showed a side of herself that I've never seen before and it really threw me for a loop.

Your situation is really uncalled for though, those are your pictures and should be treated as such regardless of who else happened to be in the shot. Being engaged now I see a lot of sourness from other women (some friends, some family) that are still waiting to be proposed to and it really puts a grey cloud over the wedding planning experience, which really isn't fair since they will most likely get to experience it just further down the road and they're going to expect VIP treatment.

It's frustrating, but I hope your friend comes around and realizes it was your day and you paid for that photographer to capture those special moments for you to look back on fondly and not just a way to boost their social media status.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics