Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vanessa
Expert August 2018 Manitoba

Bridesmaid Dilemma with Dress Choice

Vanessa, on January 5, 2018 at 22:03 Posted in Before the wedding 0 7

So we have picked our wedding party. We have picked the colour theme for the wedding (Black and Purple). The bridesmaids will be in purple (Regency) to be exact and the men will be in black. I have chosen the exact colour, where to get the dress from and have decided that I love the look of some lace or all lace and short (August wedding). There are about 7 different styles of dresses with this combination and different price points. 2 girls have gotten their dresses and 1 I am not worried about as she's waiting for awhile due to personal reasons. They may not love purple but are supportive of my decision.

Then there is one girl (family) who is just not happy. In our bridesmaid convo with the whole group she keeps saying things like, Do we have to go there? Do we have to wear that colour? Why can't we wear different shades of purple? (This originally was the plan but no other colour looked good with this one.) She wants to wait (which is fine) to get her dress as well as she wants to loose weight but is not happy with me that the salon has said they need to order their dress by a certain date. Also during Christmas she said she didn't have to work on a day I had picked for us to go group shopping (didn't work out only my states bridesmaid) and when I asked her if she would like to go as originally she got her days mixed up and said she had to work she she then said she was staying at home.

I feel lost with her. My FH is getting mad at me for feeling upset with her. All that I say to him is that their are plenty of times where you have gotten angry with her. I don't know how to address this with her. I just keep on being firm to what I want as she is use to getting what she wants.

Any suggestions on how to deal with difficult bridesmaids especially those who are family?

7 Comments

Latest activity by Kristine, on January 9, 2018 at 16:51
  • Kristine
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If she agreed to be a bridesmaid, she agreed to all the roles that accompany it.

Your bridesmaids are there to support you, and the decisions you make. They in no way should make things harder on you.

Maybe your other bridesmaids, or MOH can step up and help you with talking to her? They could gently remind her that this is your wedding, and she needs to be there to support you.

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have no bridal party for this reason, and partly not to eliante one group of friends over others. Seating down and going through your vision and your wants is the main thing, if she still persists, and at the end of the day you can't get her on the same page then you need to make some tough choices. In all honesty i am the type of person who would just buy the dress and present to her.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is a huge reason I chose not to have any family in the wedding party. All you can do is explain to her how you feel. Let her know that it is causing you additional stress and that is not what the wedding party is supposed to do. I also have a bridesmaid that was bailing on stuff and just causing problems and I flat out told her that if I knew she would cause these problems I would not have asked her to be in the wedding party. This really put her attitude into perspective for her and she has really turned it around.

Just be honest with her.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would sit down and have a chat with her. I would tell her that if she feels it is too much trouble and an inconvenience to be in your wedding party then that is fine but she needs to let you know. If not then she needs to abide by what you have stated and work with you not against you. Tell her that you already have enough stress with the wedding that you do not need any more. Hopefully she gets the message and things go as planned! Good luck!

• Shay
    Frequent user February 2019 British Columbia
    Shay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If I was in your position I would be firm..explain that the role of BM comes with certain duties, that it is not up to her to choose colors, and that if she isnt feeling up to the task then perhaps she would like an out from the wedding party. In my opinion, if someone is really supportive and wants to be in the wedding party they would understand and be supportive of your choices. After all, it is your day. It sounds blunt in text, it doesnt need to sound rude coming from you, but its important that your BMs know the expectations and how firm or lenient you are on them. Best of luck!!
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's hard to delay with things like this. But you just have to stand your ground and tell her that it's your day and you get what you want. If she disagrees maybe she isn't right for the BM position. Its extremely hard to do this with family but sometimes is necessary. I wish you the best of luck!!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keep your ground and let her know this idms your day. Ask her if she is really wantinf to be part of your bridal party. If yes, then the dress is a must and no waiting on getting it. If no, then she should be replaced right away. Your FH needs to know whats going on with her and stqnd by your side for support.

Best if luck and hope this friend gets her head on tight and good.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics