Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alli
Frequent user November 2019 Alberta

Brides in their early 20s!

Alli, on March 20, 2018 at 17:29 Posted in Alberta 0 20

So this is super weird, but I was curious. Are there any other brides-to-be in the Calgary area that are in their early 20s? I'm 23 now, and when we get married I'll be 25, but I was just curious! I'm the first of my friends to be getting married, so it's been a bit of a really cool life shift that's different from where they're at! How's your experience been? Are you having a long engagement/short engagement? Have there been people that tell you that you're too young to be getting married? Thanks! Smiley shame

20 Comments

Latest activity by Lyla, on May 12, 2018 at 00:06
  • Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Right?! I’ve had close friends finally start to understand once they get in a serious relationship and I get to tease them about it 😆 I’m honestly not getting excited! We’re 77 days away.. like yes in a way it’s awesome, but I’m stressing about late rsvps and our budgeting ( I REALLY don’t want to take out a loan!) we’ll see how it goes, I just need to sit down with the ladies and figure it out. Thankyou for the compliment! The picture is actually from our engagement session which we weren’t even going to have, but we won it.. I literally carry all the luck in our relationship and win almost everything I put my name in 😂
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Of course! Glad to hear it is going so well and you are feeling supported!

• Alli
    Alli ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Happy (belated!) Birthday! July is coming so soon, you guys must be getting so excited. I feel that on the wanting to just get married already, lol. But it is really nice to budget! I'm glad people have been so awesome to you guys, it shouldn't really matter but it's nice when people are just supportive right off the bat Smiley smile Thank you for the luck! Good luck to you guys, happy planning and I hope you have an awesome wedding! Smiley shame

• Alli
    Alli ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey Joey! Other than a few friends being a little weird, mostly everyone is excited and supportive. And those are the ones that matter, hey? Smiley laugh It's been a fun way to get closer to FH's parents as well, as his mom loves this type of planning. I'm glad it didn't change anything for you guys, I mean it really shouldn't right? That's so awesome!! Thanks for commenting Smiley shame

• Alli
    Alli ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We're totally in the same boat on saving and being in a wedding party next year (two actually!), sounds like you guys are doing everything incredibly brilliant. Congratulations! I'm finding I also like the longer engagement too, it's nice to be able to revel in it a little longer. My family has been really awesome, a little overwhelmed at times as my sister will be getting married before us so we've been trying to keep a good balance! How about your family's? Well no one really outwardly said it but I've had a couple of friends being pretty critical; but like in a response I posted above, nothing major and I think they're just a little bitter! I agree about the happy! As long as at the end of the day you're happy, it doesn't matter what anyone says. Happy planning! Congratulations to you and your fiancé! Smiley laugh

• Alli
    Alli ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Happy, belated, Birthday (other) Alli (do you find your hardly find other Alli's with that spelling? I I rarely meet them! lol)! Smiley shame Aren't supportive, happy, and excited friends just the bomb? Mine are like that too. Most of them, at least. The ones that matter are so stoked! I'll keep my fingers crossed that there's no backlash for you guys! That's great that the time is working for you, we're enjoying the long engagement too. Except there's so much I want to do now, but have to remind myself that it's still probably a little too early lol. Happy planning! Smiley laugh

• Alli
    Alli ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awe, sweet! That's so exciting for you guys, congratulations! Family always has different opinions, hey? But if you feel ready, you're really the only one who can make that choice! I think it's awesome that you know yourself well enough Smiley shame Hope you have a fun summer of planning!

• Alli
    Alli ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awe! A fellow Calgary bride, score! Congratulations!! Smiley shame Are you guys getting more and more excited as it gets closer? That's awesome that your parents are adjusting to it! Haha. Sometimes parents have weird reactions, which is why I was so glad that my fiancé talked to my parents about it before hand! I think it gave them time to adjust to the fact that they have two weddings in the next two years since my sister is getting married soon too haha.

• Alli
    Alli ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's crazy how far out venues are booking, hey? Ours was like that too! But it means you get what you want, right? And having that extra time is really awesome. Congratulations, also! That's awesome no one has said you're too young, I've only had a few critical friends but nothing major. Happy planning! Smiley shame

• Alli
    Alli ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Girl, I feel that so much on the single friends! So far, my close ones have been amazing in regards to that but I've had a few who are a little bitter when it comes to love and are pretty critical. But who cares, right? Sounds like you guys are building a pretty solid and awesome life. I think that's pretty rad! So excited for you! Are you getting more excited as the day gets closer? Also yeah, for anyone who says "you're too young", I'd say being together 5 years is a definite reason for them not to question it Smiley xd . Geeze! Also, your user pic is adorable! Was that from your engagement session?

• Alli
    Alli ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awe, that's so fun! Congratulations! I love that your parents got so involved and hit the ground running Smiley laugh Our parents were like that too! Are you having fun planning? Or waiting until you get a little closer to the 1 year mark?

• Trinity
    Beginner May 2020 Ontario
    Trinity ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m 21 this October 2018 & will be 22 when we get married my fiancé is 25 he’ll be 26 when we get married! August 3rd 2019 we’ll be getting married Smiley smile we’ve been together for 4 years! I’m also the first in my friend group to get married! Our parents are so overjoyed the second he proposed they started writing out the guest list and looking at venue options! Smiley smile
  • Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m 22 and have been engaged for 3 years now.. getting married july 28th! I’ve heard it a lot over the years, I just say that I’m pretty secure in my relationship and we’ve been together for five years soo... there’s that. Especially as a server.. can’t really hide my ring lol I once had people criticizing me over it only to say they married young too. Safe to say I was confused af 🤷‍♀️ It can also be a little frustrating when you have single friends still living at home be like.. save up 1000$ and let’s go on a vacay (legitimately had someone ask me why I couldn’t do this) or let’s go blow our money at the bar.. Like no, I got rent, a phone bill, water, power/heat, 2 car payements, insurance, and a wedding to save up for. You just have to pay your cellphone and insurance 🤣
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am going to be 24 when I get married and we haven't had anyone say we are too young yet. We are also the youngest/first of our friends groups to get married so it is exciting! We are having a long engagement because our venue that we really wanted was booked up for 2 years in advance but it's been great having the extra time Smiley smile

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am and will be married this Sept and will be 23. One of the first of my friends and very 1st in my family. My family thinks I'm too young, but I do act more mature for my age.

Engagement pretty much for about 1.5 yrs.

• Jacki
    Newbie July 2018 Alberta
    Jacki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m in Calgary! Getting married this summer and we’re both 22. Fiancé has 1 friend married and the only ones opposed at the beginning were my parents. We told them one year ago we were getting married and now they've finally adjusted to it haha
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Alli! I actually go by Alli with most of my friends (with that exact same spelling!) and I just turned 23 yesterday. I'll be 24 when I get married and my FH is 6 years older than me so he'll be 30. I'm the first in my friend group to get married, and also the youngest. It's hard for them to relate, but they are all happy and supportive and excited for me. My FH is the last getting married with his friend group. Since he's older, he hasn't gotten any backlash, and I haven't (yet!) but I think it could still happen.

I'm in Ontario but hope the wedding planning is going well for you! My engagement is pretty long, 2 years but planning from long distance so the time is working in favour for us!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not in Calgary but I am 23 and we are having a two year engagement! we wanted to be able to save up and we are also in a wedding party next year which is expensive enough! Things are going good, I have booked my hair, makeup, photography and checking out the venue we want in a month. I have been collecting ideas along the way too. No one has told us we are too young! I wanted to get married before I was going to be 26 (turning 24 soon) but we did buy a house over a year ago and financially it makes the most sense for us. Everyone has told us we are smart for the way we have done things. Has your family been supportive? Just wondering who has told you about the too young part! As long as your happy that's all that matters Smiley smile

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Alli. Are you finding your friends and family are excited for you? Are they supporting you? My DH and I were also the first in our friend group to get married. I think some friends may have thought it would change things between us all but it didn't, we still had the same hobbies and did the same sports, held parties, went out, and stayed the same as we had been throughout our relationship. We had a longish engagement but DH was 25 when we got married.

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm turning 23 in two weeks! And will be getting married this July! We are in Northeast Alberta And yes, we are the first ones getting married of our younger/same age friends (we have older friends that are already married and have kids). Our engagement was last May, so we will be engaged for a year and two months by the time of the wedding. I liked this idea to give us time to plan and budget but I also just want to get married already lol. People think we are a lot older just by how we act (they think we are between 25-28) and then they hear our age and are like what?! But we haven't had too many people shocked at all! But back to you, enjoy your time being engaged with the planning process! Your wedding will come sooner than you expect! Good luck with planning 😊

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics