Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Peggy
Super May 2019 Alberta

Bride/groom speech - thoughts?

Peggy, on September 11, 2018 at 16:39 Posted in Wedding reception 0 10

So I am way ahead of schedule, but I like to be prepared and have time to practice. We want it to be humourous, and short. This is what I have so far - thoughts?

Peggy: Jared and I would like to start by saying thank you for joining us today; we are speechless…

Jared: *Clears throat* Almost.

Peggy: -Almost- speechless with the amount of love, support and help that you have shown us today, and over the last year. So many of you have helped with various aspects of the planning, support, set up and so many other things. I can say for certain that this wedding would not have been nearly as amazing without your help. Who would have thought, four years ago, that this is where we’d end up?

Jared: *raises hand* I did. From the very beginning, I knew Peggy was the geek for me when she fed me bacon apple onion in the middle of a larp adventure.

Peggy: I guess it’s true what they say - they say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach!

Jared: And the way to make it through a speech is to make sure there’s plenty in your glass. I hope you are all prepared!

I’d like to start by saying thank you to <Jared needs to write thank you’s – mom and Larry first, family [Mel, Greg] second Also thank Peggy’s parents for raising such a wonderful daughter!]>

Peggy: Now it’s my turn to make my mom cry!

I’m so lucky to have the family I have. To my mom and dad, thank you. I cannot imagine having more wonderful parents than you – I may have tried your patience when I was younger, but you never once let me forget that I was loved. You have filled my life with warmth and laughter, love and support.

To my sister, and Maid of Honour, Heather – I wouldn’t want anyone else as my sister. We may fight like cats and dogs, but I know you will always be there me when I really need it. Thank you for bringing two wonderful nieces into my life…and I -suppose- my brother in law too.

And to my grandma Cameron, and to my grandpa who I’m sure is watching over us today – you have always been an inspiration to me, and a wonderful example of the warmth and friendship to look for in a relationship. I’m happy to say that I have found it; I hope that we are as blessed in our life together as you were.

Rita and Larry – I am honoured to be joining your family. Thank you for helping shape the man standing beside me – he is everything I could have wanted in a partner…in life, and in crime.

And lastly, to my husband – wow, I love saying that, haha – thank you, most of all. They say you don’t marry the person you can live with; you marry the person you can’t live without – and I did. You bring out the best in me; I cannot imagine my life without you – bad puns and all. You make me smile when I am sad and help me find the joy in life every day. You came along just when I had settled into the idea that I would be an old maid, and decided that I was just the right oddball to walk with you for the rest of our lives. Thank you for seeing the best in me, and helping me see it too. And mostly, thank you for not snoring – too loudly, anyways.

Jared: And to all those sitting up at the head table – we couldn’t imagine this day without each and every one of you. The generous support you each have offered has helped make this journey easier. This is certainly a special day for Peggy and me, and I hope that the friendship and support that you've shown us will continue.

As we embark on our new life together, I hope that those of you who have been married for many years will be willing to offer advice when needed. We are committed to staying married for the long haul, and we know it will be so much easier with all of your by our sides.

Peggy: Alright, now – dry your eyes, mom. It’s time to refill your glasses, have a piece of cake and hit the dance floor. Please stay and celebrate with us late into the night; we only get to do this once, and we want to share it with you!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Monica, on September 22, 2018 at 10:34
  • Monica
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Beautiful speech! Good job Smiley smile
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Awesome speech! It seems very authentic and heartfelt Smiley smile

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is a great speech! Love the humour in it!

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you all for the feedback. It sounds like I hit the right tone that I was going for with this!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Speeches are the hardest thing to writea and i spoke on my husbands behalf. It was about the way you said it and with some twists. I did mention hus parents and everyone watching over us that day too. Thanking both families and mentioning gaining two sons than having to lose a member.
    My twist was as you said about cake and dance floor. Ours was ringing the bells that was holding the menu cards for a kiss over tapping the glass.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Awesome! Very very on the ball having this done already... haha. I haven't even thought of ours yet, and we've got 4 months to go... EEPS.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love that idea! Definitely going to add that!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My god... why did I have to be in class when reading this???? I want to cry so badly! It was absolutely beautiful!

If you are looking for another laugh though you could add in after you say thanks for helping set up "and hopefully tearing it down" aka to clean up and pack up.

Other than that - it's just... I love it. It's great.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I teared up. It’s perfect. I love that it reflects you both as a couple. Great job!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love your speech! I might have teared up a little lol!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics