Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katelyn
Super October 2019 Ontario

Bride and Groom Speech/thank you

Katelyn, on September 5, 2019 at 12:33 Posted in Before the wedding 0 17
We aren't doing a sit down dinner but we are having a few speeches during the evening. The MOH and BM and my dad. We also should say a few words. I don't want it to get too lengthy but thought it would be rude not to just say a quick thank you to the bridal party for helping, the parents for being supportive and the guests for attending. Ect. I don't really now how to keep it short and sweet but still fit everything I want to say in there. Also my groom wants me to just basically tell him what to say because he isn't good with words. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

17 Comments

Latest activity by Katelyn, on September 17, 2019 at 12:22
  • Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good to know thank you.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's just my advice. I wrote mine the morning of my wedding and my DH winged his. Looking back I regret not being able to really say all of the things I wanted to.

• Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah fair enough.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Speak from the heart and make sure you write that speech down and practice a lot before your wedding.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh perfect!!

• Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Already on top of that. But I appreciate the advice Smiley smile
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You could just say a quick thank you in your speech and then when you give ur wedding party their gift you can write personalized more lengthy thank yous

• Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    A full page each seems quite long to me. And yeah Trevor isn't a man with many words lol.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Love that you wrote this, I actually wrote my FH's thank you speech because he isn't good with words. So for us, we did a general thank you to everyone, vendors. Then he does a specific thank you to his guys, my parents, his parents, and then says something about me, and I did the opposite.

Each of ours is about a page typed out. So maybe 1 min each of speaking. We are doing our Thank You at the end of the night so wanted to keep it really short!

• Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah and we are having a private dinner for just party and parents so that's the perfect time.
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol you're welcome! You can definitely do a more heartfelt thank you to parents, wedding party at the rehearsal since they are the target audience.

• Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's fair thank you! I will update you guys when I'm done. And doing a thank you at the rehearsal is a really great idea thanks! Consider it stolen Smiley xd
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was the discussion Kelsie mentioned lol!

I'll link it here: Thank you speech discussion

So far, we'll start with a short story/anecdote about my FH and I. Then we'll get into quickly thanking key players: vendors (totally optional like Kelsie said), wedding party, parents/families. After everything we'll thank our guests for attending and celebrating with us (and sitting through all the speeches lol).

I'd love to speak to each key group more, but I know guests aren't there for that. The key groups will get a more detailed thank you the night before at rehearsal dinner. However, if your speech is a bit longer, your guests will probably be ok since they are there for you two after all!

• Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lmfao yeah we just do parents and siblings. But it's still a lot.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wish we could do a joined Christmas!! There's just too many of them to ever accommodate that hahaha

• Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Fair enough. My FH family has been really accepting of me as well and everyone on both sides seems to get along really really well (we have joined family christmas it's awesome!) Thanks for the advice.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There was a discussion earlier this week that I thought had some great advice for this!

Some people thank their vendors, some don’t - that’s up to you.

you could start off with a story about you and your FH? And go into thanking people from there?

My speech will be a bit more emotional as my FHs parents have been really accepting of me in their family, etc.

I think do what works for you - if you have a bit of a longer speech, not a big deal.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics